RV Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvluv

Hello All,

I'm new to the rv world and I'm looking for some friendly advice, caveats about rv insurance. If anyone has had good experience with any one particular company or bad experience I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,

rvluv

What's your credentials? I.e. license and RV status (full-time or part-time)?

If you've got a US drivers license, you should have no problem finding insurance for either FT or PT usage. There have been other threads about insurance in this forum. Check them out, too.

I had an awful problem finding insurance because I had to inquire under a Canadian drivers license in the US. I finally managed to find a company that would do it. Now I've passed all the DMV tests for a CA driver and will be getting my brand new CA drivers license in the mail at some point. Unfortunately premiums are no different with either license. Companies just have to be able to support that.

Some companies require you to be a "good driver" for X number of years before insuring you.

The main thing is if you're full-timing to get the full timers insurance coverage. And look around. I had a large range of quotes for the same coverage. Unbelievable.

rvluv, from my recent research on this topic, many experienced RV'ers here have Progressive insurance on their rigs.  It looked to be the least expensive coverage for RV's compared to other companies, even though Progressive's auto policies are not necessarily the same way.  There were also several positive experiences about filing claims, regarding service speed and few-questions-asked payouts. 

Now roadside assistance is another animal, I'm not sure if Progressive offers it and it's certainly something you'd want on a large RV.

My recent qotes for a 2006 Plateau included Progressive. They wanted $1864/year for full-timers typical coverage. They would not insure me because of the license issue. This forced me to look around harder and found another insurance company in the next state that would insure the same or better coverage and I will pay only $1270. Roadside assistance and Total Loss Replacement is all included.
Saved me $600 per year I can spend on other things or put away for vacation fun time.

Get a quote from www.explorerrv.com - several of us here use their services and are quite happy. Explorerrv.com is a insurer-owned agency for National Interstate Insurance and they specialize in Rv insurance.

Rates can vary widely depending on the state the RV is titled in, your individual driving record and state/country of your driving license. Everybody needs to shop around to find the best rate for their own situation.

RV Roamer said:
Rates can vary widely depending on the state the RV is titled in, your individual driving record and state/country of your driving license. Everybody needs to shop around to find the best rate for their own situation.

Gary ,
Good points about shopping around. Terry researches each year when the premium is due.  Some companies get you in,  then sponsor hefty rate hikes. Your needs may also change as it did for us the year we traveled  into Mexico.  Present insurer would not cover Mexico so we went with another who would cover us and was less expensive too. As the value drops on your rig, you may also be over insured as well.  Gotta do your homework all the time to get the best bargains.

Betty

Hello, We have Gilbert Inc.. they are in FL. they have very good rates, we were with progressive @ $1200 per/yr not bad, looked into Good Sam VIP (OMG) $1600 per/6 mo? :eek: So Gilbert was at one of our State Samborees and we looked into them and bought $900 per/yr? ;D

Hi,
We went through AAA and they fixed us up immediately with Progressive. Under $600 for full timers, rig value $30,000!
Colin

None of these price quotes mean much without specifiying the type of RV (motorhome, trailer, etc), types and amounts of coverages and the state in which the RV is "garaged" for insurance purposes.  Prices will vary dramatically and even for the same RV type and coverages the low carrier in one state may be a high one in another. It's just the nature of the way insurance rates are set.  Many variables - that's why you have to shop for your own coverage rather than just accepting someone else's experience and preferences.

Back
Top Bottom