RV Kayak.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cameodon

Thinking Kayakes (2) for wife and I. Not sure we will like them, think I would at least, not sure about wife., so do not want to break the bank. Start cheap if we like them maybe upgrade later. Definitely want roomy cockpit possibly small storage area.,Advantages/Disadvantages of sit on compared to sit in. It seems to a novice like me the sit-in would be more stable but sit on may paddle easier??? Have 13'3" high 5th wheel, thinking a rack on rear of 5th wheel. Trailer has 21/2 " hitch. Guessing 12' length max?? Any suggestions will help.

We have a inflatable tandem. Takes up storage but it’s out of the way. We enjoy it.

Sit in, sit on depends on what kind of kayaking you will do. If you are going to fish from the kayak a sit on works best. If you are going to just paddle around the edges of lakes and ponds either will work. If you think you might encounter some medium to large rapids sit in is better. I find a longer kayak is easier to maneuver in the water. I have a 16’ ocean kayak and one of those cheap Walmart ones. I don’t like the smaller one. Think about how you will transport them. The 16’ one is a bit heavy for me. I’m 70 and have bad knees. I also don’t like the inflatable kayaks. Friends had two and it seemed there was a lot of time spent blowing them up and deflating after each trip.

Try (rent / borrow) several different kayaks including the inflating kind. DW & Boudreaux like the blow-up best.

Attachments

• Boudreaux ready to float.jpg
    Boudreaux ready to float.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 9
Sit in, sit on depends on what kind of kayaking you will do. If you are going to fish from the kayak a sit on works best. If you are going to just paddle around the edges of lakes and ponds either will work. If you think you might encounter some medium to large rapids sit in is better. I find a longer kayak is easier to maneuver in the water. I have a 16’ ocean kayak and one of those cheap Walmart ones. I don’t like the smaller one. Think about how you will transport them. The 16’ one is a bit heavy for me. I’m 70 and have bad knees. I also don’t like the inflatable kayaks. Friends had two and it seemed there was a lot of time spent blowing them up and deflating after each trip.
Yes, transporting them. Will have to carry them on a rack behind out 5th wheel so I’m sure 12’ will be the absolute max.

I agree with the "rent before you buy" theory. We rented this summer, and I found it easier to exit the "sit on top" than the "get out of" type.. i also have bed knees, and this made up my mind for sure.

I agree with the "rent before you buy" theory. We rented this summer, and I found it easier to exit the "sit on top" than the "get out of" type.. i also have bed knees, and this made up my mind for sure.
Good point, but isn’t the “sit-in” more stable, no?

My only experience is with Hobie kayaks. The comfort drive is awesome until you get in shallow water. They're fast, and pricey.

The friend who owns the Hobies had a custom vertical rack made for the rear of her Motorhome. Most of the weight is carried by the hitch receiver. It's very stable.

Sure, would love to hear more..

Were very nice to deal with and great with follow up problem with our foot pump.

The sit in is very stable and mostly we put in at the shore so it's easier to get in and out. We store ours in a plastic box in our truck bed. The paddles break down and seats are the inflatable ones. We actually have a big holdall that it can fit into if we need to carry it for any distance. It has 2 handles so, we take one each. Weighs around 30lbs I think. Takes us about 10 minutes to get organised.

Highly recommend it.

My only experience is with Hobie kayaks. The comfort drive is awesome until you get in shallow water. They're fast, and pricey.

The friend who owns the Hobies had a custom vertical rack made for the rear of her Motorhome. Most of the weight is carried by the hitch receiver. It's very stable.
Sit in is more stable but difficult to get in and out of if you have bad knees, back, etc.

Good point, but isn’t the “sit-in” more stable, no?
not from my experience. The sit on has a wider bottom and much more stable. Especially when getting in and out. I have an 11” sit on and my wife has a 9.5’ sit on. Both very stable and easier to handle than a sit in. You should definitely try both styles before buying.

50 Year Kayak experience here. Ocean Trips, Ocean Surfing, Lake, River, White Water, 14 Day CO River Trips, Class 4 Rapids, done them all.

IMO Never start your Kayak experience with a Sit In Kayak.
SOT is much much easier for beginners to learn the sport. Yes you need to learn balance, but that is controlled with your Paddle stroke depth. Deeper Stroke = more power, less balance.
If you start with Sit In, the first thing you need to learn is how Not to Die.
By flipping the kayak back over, when upside down. Not easy to learn, without someone of experience.

SOT you are higher on the water, so balance will be the learning issue. Not survival.
SOT you can go places easy, Sit In can not. River or Shore gets shallow, you just stand up and walk over to the deeper route. Sit In needs a deeper flow of water, and getting in and out of it is the problem.

Go Slow. Have Fun.
Motorcycle and Kayak's Onboard

Rocky
16 View V, 70kmiles

Attachments

• 0926211130b_HDR (1) (1).jpg
    0926211130b_HDR (1) (1).jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 12
I just saw these on sale Kayaks
Great Sale. $310. Prices have come Down.
Fishing Kayak WITH a Paddle, would be a good starter craft. Buy It and Have Fun.
The Fishing versions have better storage compartments, and usually more durable.
Some versions have clip in Seats available, to keep your Seat dryer and back support.
Then Add knee straps and you could ride some rivers, or try the Ocean.

If you are around Sebastian Florida and want to try a couple SOTs??
In the Indian River Intercoastal Waterway, Shoot me a PM.
We got 2 out back of the house, you could Go get Wet.

I would strongly suggest joining one of the many paddling clubs in Florida. Florida Paddle clubs.

Next, learn something about the effects of shape, hull, some of which are counter intuitive.

Some hulls are very efficient, and easy to propel, while others can feel like trying to push a bathtub through the water. Surprisingly, the longer the hull, the easier it is to paddle. Generally, anything less than about 14' or 15' will be very inefficient, and exhausting to paddle very far. The entry lines and )to a lesser extent) the exit lines are also important with respect to efficiency. Good lines require a complex curve, which can't be done in either a short hull, or an inflatable hull of any length.

Another consideration, is that an efficient hull will tend to track in a straight line, put will be a bit harder to turn. The less efficient hulls will be easier to turn, but will tend to wiggle back and forth.

Stability is another factor. Beginner paddlers tent to like flat bottomed hulls, because the impart a feeling of stability. They are quite stable when sitting flat in the water. This is called initial stability. However, when leaned a bit, they loose stability quickly, and can flip very suddenly. In short, they have terrible final stability. A hull with a shallow arch cross section, is just the opposite. They have little initial stability. sitting flat in the water, they tend to rock back and forth. This can feel rather scary. However, they fave very good final stability. As they are leaned over, they actually become more stable. I can lean my canoe far enough to get a little bit of water, just trickling over the gunwale. A flat bottomed hull will flip long before it gets to that point.

Another factor to consider, is weight. My 18', kevlar canoe weighs 45 lbs. Similar canoes made from some molded plastics can weigh 100 lbs. Weight isn't as significant a factor as some others when paddling, but I can throw mine on my shoulders and carry it. Once, when a sudden thunder storm came up, I carried it half a mile.

Finally, have you considered a canoe? I have two kayaks that we use for paddling whitewater, but for lakes or fla****er rivers, I would choose a canoe every time. Canoes are also easier to get in and out of, and they can carry a lot more gear.

I've attached photos of how I carry the canoe by myself (which is more difficult with many kayaks), and also how I carry it while pulling my 5th wheel.

Joel

Attachments

• canoe1.jpg
    canoe1.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 16
  • canoe2.jpg
    canoe2.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 14
  • canoe3.jpg
    canoe3.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Leaving for Florida.jpg
    Leaving for Florida.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 17
  • On the Roof.jpg
    On the Roof.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 17
We have Vibe kayaks. Sit on Top. We started with sit ins but hard to get in and out and back support wasn’t there. We now have stadium style seat and awesome. My wifes is ten ft and mine is 11 and fishing style. Mine is a little heavy.

Back
Top Bottom