RV lists to one side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

My RV lists to the passenger side.  I don't have the weight measurements in here.  I did weigh each side last fall.  I think one side was a hundred pounds or so heavier than the other.  I sat in the driver's seat during the weighing, since I was interested in over-the-road balance. 

I don't think my furniture and appliances are particularly out of balance.  What are some things that might be causing this problem?  I just had new tires put on last winter and wasn't advised of any problems with shocks.  I'm not sure the mh turns to the right when I'm trying to go straight.  I'll have to check when I move out Aug 6. 

--pat

First of all shocks do not effect leaning, I just corrected a leaning problem on my 99 Winnebago Brave with a P30 chassis.  I had super springs installed on the front (done away with the air bags)  and had a new leaf added to the passenger side rear, I also had the front end aligned.  The coach drives like a new one. Hope this helps you.

What make and size chassis, Pat? I'm afraid I have forgotten what you have...

If it liss while sitting still, there can be only two causes: weight imbalance or a suspension problem on one side.  A "suspesnion problem" can include a couple different things, depending on what type of sus[ension you have.  In general, it means a spring, torsion bar or air bag is sagging/broken or possibly a tire is very low on air.  But for a soft tire to cause a noticeable lean, it would have to be quite low and you would probably see that immediately too.

This gives me a start when I get it checked.  I have a 24' Chinook Destiny.  My parking spot is not level, so I'll check it on the road.  It's not level inside, but it's not uncomfortable.  I know this isn't good for the fridge, but it mainly sags a bit toward the fridge, rather than front to back.  My next stop has level paved spaces, where I'll do more measuring. 

It's not tires.  I have checked them.  And they're new.  Clearly part of the problem is the fact that the site slants downward toward the passenger side.  Would a slight slant exacerbate the list?

df:  How much did the springs and leaf installation cost?

--pat

Pat how are you determining sagging -- by observation, by spirit level, or by measurement?  Observation is very deceptive -- background and perspective can deceive the eye.  Spirit level is better but it assumes that the ground is level if you are trying to measure sag.  The best way is to simply pick a point, measure its distance from the ground.  The measure the corresponding point on the other side.  Measure several pairs of points.  That should give you a real idea of the attitude of your machine.

Pat said:
This gives me a start when I get it checked. I have a 24' Chinook Destiny. My parking spot is not level, so I'll check it on the road. It's not level inside, but it's not uncomfortable. I know this isn't good for the fridge, but it mainly sags a bit toward the fridge, rather than front to back. My next stop has level paved spaces, where I'll do more measuring.

It's not tires. I have checked them. And they're new. Clearly part of the problem is the fact that the site slants downward toward the passenger side. Would a slight slant exacerbate the list?

df: How much did the springs and leaf installation cost?  About 300.00 for the spring leaf, hardware, block for the drivers side ( the drivers side had to be blocked up) and labor.

--pat

Carl:  Definitely the list is visual, and the mh is admittedly parked on a crooked spot, which probably causes greater lean.  A level inside shows a slight slant to the passenger side.  I'll check it again at a level spot when I move on next month. 

I looked up my left and right side weigh-in last year and find the passenger side weighed almost 200 lbs more than the driver's side.  Total weight is about 13,000 lbs, including the towed.  If I go past the untended scales again this year, I'll reweigh each side. 

On the road I can compensate a little for the weight imbalance by putting some of the things that sit on the floor during relocation on the other side of the floor.

This mh drives just fine.

--pat

We once had a Coachmen MB340 that leaned to the passenger side rear.  Fought it for several years and never did find out why.  As far as I know it's still leaning about 2 inches to the right rear. 

Pat,

Unlikely that shocks are the problem unless you have the 'coil-over' type, and that's very unlikely. Shocks only affect ride quality; not ride height.
Would a slight slant exacerbate the list?
Sure; weight will shift somewhat to the low side. Possible broken leaf in one of the springs, but again not very likely.

Pat said:
Carl: Definitely the list is visual, and the mh is admittedly parked on a crooked spot, which probably causes greater lean. A level inside shows a slight slant to the passenger side. I'll check it again at a level spot when I move on next month.

The eye tries to make ground the reference of level.  If there is a slight slope, it will factor it out so that anything sitting on the slope appears to be out of plumb even tho  it is actually in plumb.  Measure the so-called slant by taping the distance to the ground from corresponding points on each side.  That eliminates optical illusion.

I looked up my left and right side weigh-in last year and find the passenger side weighed almost 200 lbs more than the driver's side. Total weight is about 13,000 lbs, including the towed. If I go past the untended scales again this year, I'll reweigh each side.

200 lbs out of tons is a trival difference.  Was there someone in the driver's seat when the weight was taken or was there not?

> On the road I can compensate a little for the weight imbalance by putting some of the things that sit on the floor during relocation on the other side of the floor.<

Not worth the bother for 200lbs.

This mh drives just fine.

That is what really counts.  Check to see if the MH has a pullout to one side.  Check to see if there is uneven tire wear.  If those items check out, what's to worry about?  ;)
--pat

Carl:? Tires are brand new top of the line Michelins.? Driver was definitely in the driver's seat during weighing.? I always weigh in what I consider to be natural weight distribution.? I assume even weight is more important over the road.? I do let go of the steering wheel once in a while to see if it veers off, and it seems pretty steady, if I recall.? I have been parked on a seemingly level paved surface, and it seems fine.? I think once I move from this spot, it'll be ok.? I do find it good to know that 200 lbs doesn't make that much difference.?

It's probably just the cat sleeping in a different spot.

--pat

Must not be much room in that RV with a Cat that size  Don't blame you Carl

If the road is level, the weight distribution is level, The tires are all matched, and the rig is listing there are only two possible causes (well, 1 and 2 halves)

1: Frame is torqued (Very unlikely, usually requires that the rig get tired of the way it's being driven and roll over to take a nap before that happens) or

2: Spring problem, Either a broken leaf or weak leaf/leaves or a broken spring mount on the  low side

I've replaced leaf springs myself, (On a 1,500 lb car) and my suggestion is to seek professional assistance in inspecting and if needed replacing the springs.  Trust me.... It's not a job to be done by a novice on a rig that size (The 2nd spring on that car I had done professionally.. one was all I wished to attempt)

Note 2: A broken spring mount can also take mulitple forms, one is a rusted out frame rail (BTDT as they say)

Back
Top Bottom