RV Mattress selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vsprint90

So I took the plunge and bought a new RV to live in, since Tiny Homes aren't welcome in Northern California. I love the simple living but the king mattress in my 5th wheel is VERY uncomfortable. Called a few places that carry RV mattresses but no one has mattresses on display to test the comfort level! What do I do before I spend money on an item I don't know if it feels good to lay on?  Any suggestions?

A quick Google showed several custom mattress manufacturers in N Cal.  Find a local and go talk to them.  OR read the reviews and gamble.  Mattress comfort is a personal preference.  I like firm ones, others like memory foam, etc.  But many people don't like the mattress that originally came in their RV.

Welcome to the RV Forum vsprint90

When we upgraded our mattress, We went to a standard size queen. This opened up a lot more choices. This would depend on your available space.

Or

You could check with regular bedding stores to see if they could order RV sizes of certain mattresses.

Welcome to the Forum!

SpencerPJ said:
A quick Google showed several custom mattress manufacturers in N Cal.  Find a local and go talk to them.  OR read the reviews and gamble.  Mattress comfort is a personal preference.  I like firm ones, others like memory foam, etc.  But many people don't like the mattress that originally came in their RV.

The small local mattress manufacturer can make a mattress any size you want and any style / firmness you want.  They will probably have display models to lay on - just a different size.  Their prices are often quite competitive.  It only takes a few days to make exactly what you want.

When I bought my FW, the seller described the sofa bed as the perfect bed for guests who had overstayed their welcome.
RV beds often get replaced - for your reason!

I have been very happy using mattress toppers in that situation:

https://www.amazon.com/DUCK-GOOSE-CO-Hypoallergenic-Alternative/dp/B075486MDK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=king+mattress+topper&qid=1553907549&s=gateway&sr=8-4

First of all, you don't need an "RV mattress". In fact, there is no such thing, unless you consider "ultra-cheap" to be an RV type.  ;)    If your mattress is one of the two standard king sizes (California or Eastern), buy any mattress that is comfortable at any store you like.  If it's a non-standard size, a local mattress company can make or order one to match. They should have standard sizes available with the same construction, so you can test on those, then order the specialty size.

After three miserable years we were also in need of a new bed for home.  Went shopping and made a deal for a king for home, exact same in queen for the fiver.  Never was disappointed.  The compane delivered setup and hauled away all for the price.  Measire what you have and go to a rwgular mattress store and tey them out.  Dont forget sleep number and tempurpedic in your search

Thanks for all of the responses! I am checking a manufacturer this morning in Sacramento.

we replaced the RV Queen mattress with a standard queen. I replaced the support board and all was good. There is no need to be uncomfortable in your own house. 

It depends on your specific unit - my old tt had a short queen my trailer before and my current unit both have a standard queen

My ladt trailer i added a 12 in board to the base

We moved our Sleep number bed from the house to the RV (Queen size) and bought a new Sleep Number bed for the house.  There's nothing like sleeping on the "same" mattress no matter whether you are at home or on the road in the camper.  Love the Sleep number beds.

Our coach came (used) with a ?RV king? size Sleep Number bed. Never had  a Sleep Number before this. Will likely never have anything else. Even though we?re full time, we often abandon the coach for excursions or work and love large hotel showers, but always love getting back our bed in the coach.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom