RV/MH Hall of Fame & Museum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FunSteak

While we were on a fairly long (for us, anyway) trip over the last couple of weeks, we made a stop at the RV/Motorhome Hall of Fame and Museum, right off I-90 in Elkhart, IN.  http://www.rvmhhalloffame.org/

The museum was fantastic!  Very well done.  We spent a few hours there, and it was really cool.  There are all kinds of old TTs and MHs from bygone days.  Really interesting to see what RV was vs. what it is now.  Quite a difference, but also many similarities.  I also really enjoyed all the old accessories, like tin mess kits, old stoves and lanterns, hand-pump toilets from the 30s, etc. 

The oldest unit there at them moment is a 1913 Model A "CampCar".  Heck, cars had only been around for a moment when that thing was built.  Pretty neat to think that almost as soon as the car was invented, someone said "hey, why can I sleep in this thing?"

DW took photos.  Unfortunately, I didn't, since I was so enthralled with climbing in and around all these cool old rigs.  I'll try to grab a few from her to post here.

If you haven't made the stop, I highly recommend it.  It's very convenient to get there (1 min off I-90), and is such a cool place to spend a few hours.

Does it have parking for a big class A towing a car?

ChasA said:
Does it have parking for a big class A towing a car?

Yes indeed.  Pretty large lot, since they also have a conference center.  And they surely know many RVs will stop for a visit.  We parked our rig next to a good-sized class A with a toad.  In fact, they may have overnighted, as their slides were out and jacks down.  I didn't ask about whether that was allowed, but my guess is that it would be. 

Larry N. said:
Thanks for the info. There's also the Jack Sizemore RV Museum in Amarillo, TX. Fascinating stuff in there, including the rig used in the Robin Williams movie. The link also gives you a slide show of what's there.

Ooo, cool.  Added to our list for when we make it to TX.  Thanks!

The Hall of Fame is quite the place. Last month they accepted 1960s era artifacts from our camping club, which hopefully will be put on display at some point.

They have an early Winnebago Brave, just like my uncle used to have. Brought back some great memories.

HappyWanderer said:
The Hall of Fame is quite the place. Last month they accepted 1960s era artifacts from our camping club, which hopefully will be put on display at some point.

They have an early Winnebago Brave, just like my uncle used to have. Brought back some great memories.

They sure do!  A couple of vintage Airstreams, too.  Also, be sure to check out the vintage GMC that a couple spent a half million restoring (!!!).  $125K in the paint job alone!  They drove it once or twice, didn't like the way it handled, and donated to the museum so they could start over.  Boggled my mind.

Awesome! That place is just a couple hours up the road from me.

Will definitely be on the must stop at list when we are up that way. Will have to make a weekend of it in the camper.

We stopped there in 2007 on our way back from our Yellowstone trip. They had just opened (or maybe just moved into that building). I imagine they have a lot more there now! It's definitely on our visit-again list. They also had an extensive library section with tons of books and magazines, old and new.

Larry N. said:
Thanks for the info. There's also the Jack Sizemore RV Museum in Amarillo, TX. Fascinating stuff in there, including the rig used in the Robin Williams movie. The link also gives you a slide show of what's there.

yes, worth a stop I think.  Very good RV collection.  Also a nice collection of motorcycles as I remember.
We stopped there last summer.

Just be aware this is at an RV dealership, basically a big building out back.  Not much of a parking lot at all for RV's.  You have to park on the street out front, and it's a busy access ramp road....I was nervous while there...me and some folks with a long TT both parked with our hazards flashing...apparently folks do it all the time
this is approx where we parked
35.167909, -101.867881

but now that I'm looking at the map and not trying to figure it out on the fly, I see there's a walmart right there, 1,000 Ft away!  If I were doing it again I'd probably park there and walk.  (we need a head slap emoji)

Back
Top Bottom