RV Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatLightning

Hi everyone :)
My name is Cat, and we're hitting the road August 1, towing a 2021 Forest River Shasta 21CK. We'll be taking a very slow trip from GA to Sacramento CA (moving back there). I'm towing with a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac.
We are first time towers and RVers. I've done a significant amount of boondocking, but solo tent only, so not even close to the same thing.
I'm looking forward to reading all your experiences and learning from you.
Cat

Welcome to the forum.
Have you done any camping with the rig to work out the bugs? If not, I would at least try it right in your driveway if you can or a campground close to home. Get any warrantee work done before you leave. Getting warrantee work done at another dealer could be nearly impossible. And don’t overload it when packing. Only the bare necessities.

Welcome to the forum.
Have you done any camping with the rig to work out the bugs? If not, I would at least try it right in your driveway if you can or a campground close to home. Get any warrantee work done before you leave. Getting warrantee work done at another dealer could be nearly impossible. And don’t overload it when packing. Only the bare necessities.
We pick it up on June 26 at the dealer 3.5 hours away, and are bringing it back for living in it for a month at a local RV park so we can learn how to use everything.
And yes, we are pretty much getting rid of everything. We bought a scale to weigh every single item too. I have to keep the weight way down, as my truck is 5060 GVWR. We can only take <200 lbs of personal items, in my opinion. I don't want to push it with my transmission.

Cat,
The most important piece of equipment you will have with you is .... Your Brain... Use it.
Look up the weights. I just did and you can fit in the limits. I strongly suggest that you go through a truck scale on the way home from picking up the Shasta and get real weights on everything.
Another thing is to try to locate a Shasta group to join. The people that have had these a while will know what the issues are. Of course, you can always ask us. Most of us here were born knowing everything that mattered about RVs - Right?
Should you end up with weights that are really close to the marks, that is not a dead end. Just be very ready to think about what you are doing.
For about a decade, I lived in a van and dragged a racing sailboat to regattas all over the east. I don't think I was ever under the recommended weights. I never wrecked anything. I did slow down and sometimes wait out weather or bad traffic.
Do you know how to use your phone to be a hotspot so you can stay in touch?
Most of all, make a point of enjoying the journey.
Matt

Hello new to Rv on the road. Will be going full time as of June 6th with will begin our first try at boondockers welcome membership. Hopefully will be adding thousand trails membership to our travels. My name is Jessy I'm pulling a 2017 cherokee travel trailer with a 2007 yukon. I'm a single mom that will be homeschooling on the road with my daughter who is 8. Tagging along will be our best bud roxy our ferret.We have a few life time friends also joining us. Late night arrival into Boston on the 5th yay! Sara is an extremely travel guru! And has been a friend for 20+ years. We are starting in the white mountains and taking laid back approach to soak in all that each place had to offer! I spent time camping 2 seasonal years in my trailer but this will be my first try at pulling my baby! I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'm a bit nervous 😬. I have been working to live this life as long as I can remember and now it is finally about to begin full-time living traveling in an rv please wish us luck on our travels prey to whom u prey to that we are safe and we welcome any advice, love , inspiration, direction ( haha) , favorite must see spots , positive criticism lol I must be crazy but here we go !

Cat,
The most important piece of equipment you will have with you is .... Your Brain... Use it.
Look up the weights. I just did and you can fit in the limits. I strongly suggest that you go through a truck scale on the way home from picking up the Shasta and get real weights on everything.
Another thing is to try to locate a Shasta group to join. The people that have had these a while will know what the issues are. Of course, you can always ask us. Most of us here were born knowing everything that mattered about RVs - Right?
Should you end up with weights that are really close to the marks, that is not a dead end. Just be very ready to think about what you are doing.
For about a decade, I lived in a van and dragged a racing sailboat to regattas all over the east. I don't think I was ever under the recommended weights. I never wrecked anything. I did slow down and sometimes wait out weather or bad traffic.
Do you know how to use your phone to be a hotspot so you can stay in touch?
Most of all, make a point of enjoying the journey.
Matt
Hey Matt,
Thanks for the reply and the Shasta group tip; I'll definitely find one. We're taking the trailer to nearest cat scale the following weekend after pickup. I did get the weight numbers off the camper, and I called to get the WDH weight too. We're definitely good on towing it empty 😝.
My truck is at the shop getting fully prepped, and I'm also having coilover shocks put on the back 👍, which will help.
Any which way, it's going to be a huge adventure!
Yeah, we're good on hotspot 👍.
Cat

Squeee 😊! We pick our TT up from the dealer in 3 days! So excited, and nervous, and excited 😆.
Now, if my mechanic can just make sure my TV brakes are the way they should be for the 3k I just dropped to get this TV ready 🙄. Taking TV back in the morning, again 🙄😒😑.
Brakes kinda matter 😜.

Cat,
It seems you are taking the advice about using the brain to prevent trouble before it happens.
Good for you....
Matt

Back
Top Bottom