RV Oriented Housing Developments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike in Texas

Last week we attended a rally at the Buck Horn Lakes RV Resort just outside Kerrville with the FMCA San Antonio River City Travelers chapter. It was a beautiful park with all the amenities and we enjoyed it very much. The thing that most intrigued me was their Club at Buck Horn Lakes, a development next to the RV park with very attractive native limestone homes ranging in size from a several hundred square feet to 2000 or so. Each home has an RV site alongside the house with electrical, water and sewer connections. It appeared that with the smaller homes, the RVs might be serving as the bedroom. The property is not sold but leased on a long term basis.

Since buying our new Monaco Diplomat 40 earlier this year, we have been talking about moving to a cooler climate (we live in New Braunfels, TX) and having a low maintenance home built that would be half the size of our current 3000 square foot one. We would want to be able to keep the RV close to the house, which is often forbidden in most quality developments. The Club at Buck Horn Lakes is very tempting, but it gets hot there in the summer. I would appreciate knowing if there are similar RV oriented developments in places where both the summers and the winters are mild.

Here is a link to the Club at Buck Horn Lakes so you can see what I'm talking about.

Buck Horn Lakes

[edit] Fixed link[/edit]

There's a somewhat upscale one in Crossville, TN but the name escapes me for the moment. One of our members has a home there and the commuity is quite nice.  The homes feature garages large enough for motorhomes and there are duplexes as well as single homes.

Happy Trails in Surprise AZ (NW Phoenix) is one but flunks the climate spec.

I can think of several RV communities that flunk the climate spec in one part of the year or another.  Finding any climate that is clement in both summer and winter is a real challenge! Such a place would be called Camelot - or perhaps Heaven.  :D

San Diego comes close, if you can stand the traffic :)

I agree with Gary. The Crossville, TN location comes close to what you want. I can't remember the name either.  All the homes in the development are even constructed to be easily winterized, should you be away in the months when it occasionnaly freezes. It's a real nice place.

Chet18013

Ned - I'm a staunch conservative and am highly allergic to high taxes, lots of people, and traffic so that would likely not be a good fit. We lived in California in the late 60s and early 70s, and though we really liked it would only want to visit. The Club at Buck Horn Lakes is looking better and better. If we went there we would just have to head north during the summer.

Ned said:
San Diego comes close, if you can stand the traffic :)

Buckhorn Lake is a very nice resort, we'll be there next month for a rally.  We were there in 2004 also.  You may also want to look at the RV Homebase Communities Yahoo Group that is looking to develop a property such as you're looking for.  A parcel under current investigation is just down the road from Kerrville in Comfort, TX.

Back
Top Bottom