RV outside The USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gidday. Wayne from Aus. We have been travelling for about 10 months in a winnebago alpine on an Izusu npr 400. We have stopped at caravan parks 4 times to wash the bus, 3 times at show grounds for convenience but all the rest have been in the scub somewhere. There are lots of places to find out of the way using google sat, no nieghbours, no litter, no dunny paper, no noise etc. P.enty of peace and quiet, bird photography, star gazing, proper bush walks. The three cats are having a ball. The benefit of the izusu is that we can drive a lot of dirt tracks(slowly mind you!) to find some pretty magic places. It has taken this long to just do the eastern side of Queensland! Other benefit is with another 9kg gas (gives us 3) and roof rainwater collection, we can work on a safe month completely self subsistent. Yay yay the dometic fridge and big genny! Heading to Tassie now, I hear they have some pretty remote high counrty on the Western side. Cheers. Wayne

Wayne,

We also love real boondocking, our unit is better at it then most but not nearly yours. 

One thing I would recommend is that you record the Lat and Long of the places you like.  This is best, but it still won't always get you back there because I have found that if you do not start the access from the same place, you may not be able to get there at all.  (You can't get there from here?) 

If I didn't keep logs, I wouldn't even know where we stopped some times.  Great, isn't it? 

I want this plague and civil unrest over so we can get back out on the road.

Matt 

Matt_C said:
Wayne,

We also love real boondocking, our unit is better at it then most but not nearly yours. 

One thing I would recommend is that you record the Lat and Long of the places you like.  This is best, but it still won't always get you back there because I have found that if you do not start the access from the same place, you may not be able to get there at all.  (You can't get there from here?) 

If I didn't keep logs, I wouldn't even know where we stopped some times.  Great, isn't it? 

I want this plague and civil unrest over so we can get back out on the road.

Matt

If you aren't an GPS guy, there's a phone app called What3words.  They've divided the surface of the earth into 3 meter squares.  Each square is assigned a unique 3 word designation.  I open my app, it gives me the 3 words where I'm located.  I text this to my kids.  They open the app and enter my words and the app tells them where I am. 
I showed this to my kids when we gathered for my wife's sendoff.  A couple of them were more relaxed about me hitting the road again when they saw they could keep track of me. 
Don't see why it wouldn't work in a log book, too.

Old_Crow said:
If you aren't an GPS guy, there's a phone app called What3words.  They've divided the surface of the earth into 3 meter squares.  Each square is assigned a unique 3 word designation.  I open my app, it gives me the 3 words where I'm located.  I text this to my kids.  They open the app and enter my words and the app tells them where I am. 
I showed this to my kids when we gathered for my wife's sendoff.  A couple of them were more relaxed about me hitting the road again when they saw they could keep track of me. 
Don't see why it wouldn't work in a log book, too.

Wally,

That sounds like a clever app.  If you really want the kids to know where you are and you can load Google Maps, then look at the part of that that says "Location Sharing".  This will cause close to real time tracking.  And it takes nothing special on either part, it just happens.  When DW is out shopping (like right now), I leave the Maps screen open and periodically look in to see if she is inbound.  That way, I can call the dogs in (so she doesn't get massively greeted) put shoes on in case she needs help off loading.

Lat/long is good for me.  Being a long time navigator, as soon as I see the format, it forms a metal picture of where in the world it should be. 

The boondocking problem with only knowing the end point location is that the means to access same is not recorded and twice this has been an issue.  One time we did manage to find the right track with the help of Google Earth,  but another time we did not and still have not.

Matt

We have logged about 70,000 ish kilometers RVing around Mexico. We have visited something like 24 states and the federal district. Amazing country and fantastic people. We used a little class C ish type Motorhome. We have since moved on to seeing more of Europe and North Africa but we have lots of good memories.

Matt_C said:
You can overlay the map with the satellite view, same as Google Maps.  I use that a lot out in the desert near Quartzsite, where the road might not show on the map, but you can see it in the satellite view.
This is more for my kids than me.  I don't know if they think I'll end up like that old couple in that RV movie "The Leisure Seeker", or what.  Not that that would be a bad way to go.

Old_Crow said:
You can overlay the map with the satellite view, same as Google Maps.  I use that a lot out in the desert near Quartzsite, where the road might not show on the map, but you can see it in the satellite view.
This is more for my kids than me.  I don't know if they think I'll end up like that old couple in that RV movie "The Leisure Seeker", or what.  Not that that would be a bad way to go.

Wally,

Funny you should mention that......
I did just that with the place I have not "re-found".  On GE I could see a road that more or less went there.  When we arrived at the end of said visible road, it was clearly not something that I would try with the coach.  A Jeep Maybe....
Fortunately, we had good wire.  I clicked GE back in time to when the trees were bare.  The road we possibly wanted was about 10 miles back and it was late. 
We may try again some other year.
Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gurrenteed
Back
Top Bottom