RV ovens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob&Deryl

I have read that some RV ovens don?t have uniform heat.

One object we plan to include is a cast iron griddle (or grill in the restaurant world) which we likely would use on the gas grill (or charbroiler in the restaurant world) to cook up breakfasts and such.

Assuming it fits, would putting in the oven on the bottom rack help to even out the heat?

Thanks

It will help but be careful it doesn?t warp or crack. I put a 3/16? steel plate on the bottom shelf and that helped a lot to stop things from burning in the center

IMO it would help a little, but I think you'd be better off with a thick, commercial pizza stone. I've been using this square one for about 3 years. Makes a huge difference, but you do need to pre-heat for a solid 30 minutes or more

Plus this one is the perfect size so as to not block the oven's ventilation holes what placed just above the burner

With our propane ovens, we used a pizza stone like Scott. One of them eventually broke, but it worked just fine after that. Make sure there is room for air circulation around the stone.

Back2PA said:
IMO it would help a little, but I think you'd be better off with a thick, commercial pizza stone. I've been using this square one for about 3 years. Makes a huge difference, but you do need to pre-heat for a solid 30 minutes or more

I tried one of those stones that DW rarely used and after about 6 times of use, it shattered. She wasn?t happy.

The usual item is a PIZZA stone or unglazed clay tial but I suspect the answer to your question is YES. as the cast iron griddle is BIG. Heavy. Holds a LOT of heat and conducts heat well so it will distributer it.  If you'd like to try.. I have not dug 'em out yet but I have some that were for my Coleman Roadtrip grill (Which is now history but I still have the grids and such) plan is to send them to Recycle but if you are near Flint. and I can find 'em.. Save me the trouble.
ANd if they get damaged. YOU can send 'em to a recycler.

The bottom line is MASS.  You need a heat sink that will absorb heat and release it slowly during the cooking cycle.

We've been very happy with our oven's performance since we added an AirBake cookie sheet just above the burner. It's light weight and doesn't fracture.

Rene T said:
I tried one of those stones that DW rarely used and after about 6 times of use, it shattered. She wasn?t happy.

I think the key is it has to be commercial grade. Previously I also had a thinner one that broke. The one I have now is 1" thick, weighs 11 pounds, and is guaranteed to not crack. But it's not cheap: $66 with shipping due to weight.

NY_Dutch said:
We've been very happy with our oven's performance since we added an AirBake cookie sheet just above the burner. It's light weight and doesn't fracture.

That's exactly what we have done for many many years and with at least three different RV ovens.  When it gets charred up with inevitable "baking scars", we replace it. 

Tom and Margi said:
That's exactly what we have done for many many years and with at least three different RV ovens.  When it gets charred up with inevitable "baking scars", we replace it. 

Yep... And new ones are easy to find at any Walmart... :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom