RV Park BS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought I posted in this thread
a truly large park may have sites that were pre-paid but the renter no-showed.
I doubt it, for two reasons.

1. I was told to pick any site here and there is around a dozen sites available.

2. I think it's unlikely for a dozen no-shows at the same time for the same area of the park.

They must still be telling others they have nothing. I am still alone here in this section of the park.

-Don- St. Cloud, FL

One of the parks I visit has (Counting cabins) over 700 sites. Site selection is 1st show up first chose, but you have to "reserve" a choice in advance. You can not reserve a site. just the ability to pick a site.

One of the parks I visit has (Counting cabins) over 700 sites. Site selection is 1st show up first chose, but you have to "reserve" a choice in advance. You can not reserve a site. just the ability to pick a site.
I still have this entire section of the park for myself. I really like it here. I prefer here to the areas in this same park that do have a sewer connection. I like being here alone, away from the crowd.

-Don- St. Cloud, FL

I just went out and counted all the free spots that have electricity and water in this "full" RV Park. I only counted the free spaces next to me. I counted 22. I am using one, so there is a total of 23 similar spaces in this section of this RV Park. And I thought it was only going to be around a dozen. It is almost twice that!

So now we know a "full" RV park has at least 24 unused spaces. I didn't check other areas of this very large park, just the section I am in, so there are probably more. I am not complaining, I like being alone out here. I am just wondering why they do not want to do more business and are telling everybody they are full.

In this map, I am in the pink section. "K0 to K23" so the map agrees within one of my count. I guess I still missed one. Anybody know what "PMK" could stand for? Each one has 50 amp, 30 amp and 20 amp service.

-Don- Floridian Sandalwood RV Park, St. Cloud, FL

Last edited:
My favorite RV park in Las Vegas is Kings Row RV and Mobilehome Park on the east side, a large well run park with great rates. Ten years ago I stayed there for a week while attending a trade show and they had run into a permitting snag trying to convert a section of single wide mobile home spaces to RV use. While they worked out the issues they shut down that section. So for about a year they had 65 vacant but unusable spaces.

Today that section is a real find, with one RV per mobile home lot with the RVs staggered end to end so your patio isn't next to your neighbor's RV. A real find at $27 a day or $105 a week. The only drawback is those spaces are only 30 amps, if you absolutely need 50 amp power you'll have to use one of the smaller spaces in the newer part of the park. A real find at $27 a day or $105 a week. The back half of the park is still older mobile homes but they're all very well maintained.

Maybe something similar is happening at The Floridian and you were allowed to stay in that section because you're visiting Tom?

I think I discovered the issue. Some of the park employees are considering this section for tents, not RVs, because this is the only section that has no sewer connections.

But how many tents need 12,000 watts of power? Or is it more? Can the 50 amp (each leg, L1 plus L2) and 30 amp and 20 amp outlets all be used at the max at the same time? At 120 VAC that would be a total of 150 amps or 18,000 watts. Okay, minus the 20% for safety=14,400 watts. I don't think many tents will need anything near that.

-Don- St. Cloud, FL

But how many tents need 12,000 watts of power? Or is it more? Can the 50 amp (each leg, L1 plus L2) and 30 amp and 20 amp outlets all be used at the max at the same time?
Not on the RV-style pedestal at my house. There's just the one feed from the house, though it fully supplies the 50 amp service.

But how many tents need 12,000 watts of power? Or is it more? Can the 50 amp (each leg, L1 plus L2) and 30 amp and 20 amp outlets all be used at the max at the same time? At 120 VAC that would be a total of 150 amps or 18,000 watts. Okay, minus the 20% for safety=14,400 watts. I don't think many tents will need anything near that.

-Don- St. Cloud, FL
Depends on the wire size feeding the pedestal. One otherwise very nice mobilehome/RV park I stayed in had pedestals with 50 amp outlets. These were fed from common areas with electric meters for several sites. Each meter had a pair of 20 amp circuit breakers directly below it to protect the 12 gauge wires running to each site so you couldn't draw more than 20 amps off of each leg of the 50 amp socket.

I had a 30 amp RV so I was only able to use one 20 amp circuit. Once I realized the limitation I had no trouble staying within the 20 amp limit. I just turned off the air conditioner for a few minutes if I wanted to use the microwave or another high draw appliance.

Last edited:
Depends on the wire size feeding the pedestal.
That much is obvious. But you answered my question anyway.
IOW, there is no standard for RV Parks. Even a 50-amp outlet may only be capable of 20 amps.

This RV park has all the correct CBs for each outlet. A ganged 50 amp for the 50-amp service which means 12,000 watts for just it. Either 50 amps on one 240 VAC line or two 50-amp lines on 120 VAC. 12kW max either way. Do any RVs use 240 VAC for anything?

I have used the 240 VAC to charge my electric motorcycle at these RV Parks. That's the only way I can charge it at 6.4 KW when I am in a hurry (very rarely) and use two external chargers that are 2.5KW each that I always bring. But I normally just use 120 VAC and charge at 1.4 KW as I usually have more time and rarely need to go far on a charge.

-Don- St. Cloud, FL

I am here at the Floridan RV Park. Tom SeilerBird and I just had lunch together.

This is a very nice RV Park. Probably the best I have stayed in. And Tom has the best spot in the entire park, a shady place right next to the river (and almost no mosquitoes here!).

This is a very large park. The type one can get lost in. I have nobody near me and there are more spaces available.

Yeah, many more, but don't waste your time calling. They will say they have none available, yet they do.

I called this place twice and also emailed them. No spaces, they tell me three different times.

Tom SeilerBird, who has been here for ten years, askes in the office, and they have many spaces available.

Many, with electricity and water but no sewer connection I don't even care about that. My tanks are big enough besides they have a dump station here that I can use.

So either the employees are too lazy to bother with those not renting by the month, or they just don't want more money. Or what else could it be? Seems strange for a business to not want easy money.

And nobody who stays monthly would want a space with no sewer connection.

So what type of BS is going on here?

Below is a pix I just took of my RV here. Now I have to con Tom into taking a better pix for me here and I will use it in my Avatar.

View attachment 150897

-Don- St. Cloud, FL
Unoccupied spaces do not mean the spaces are available. People have PAID reservations and the park is not going to veer from them up.

Do any RVs use 240 VAC for anything?
Not sure if it's current, but for a long time RVIA code prohibited 240 volt appliances in RVs. Not only would they not work if the RV was plugged into lesser power (single leg 30 or 20 amps via an adapter feeding both hot legs) but they could be dangerous because feeding both hot legs from a single source produces 0 volts between them, making a 240 volt appliance appear to be de-energized even though it's electrically live.

In this map, I am in the pink section. "K0 to K23" so the map agrees within one of my count. I guess I still missed one. Anybody know what "PMK" could stand for? Each one has 50 amp, 30 amp and 20 amp service.

-Don- Floridian Sandalwood RV Park, St. Cloud, FL
I sure hope when the staff gets back from Christmas you go ask them about all the apparent vacancies. It's pretty funny all of us trying to guess at their practices with really nothing to go on.

I did go to the map and website and as you note it is a huge place. They advertise places for sale - manufactured homes it appears. I am wondering if there are any "privately owned" lots in the park. That would explain some things.

Otherwise I guess if you buy a manufactured home there must be some kind of long term lease.

Are they short on ground staff needed to keep the place cleaned up, trash collected etc. etc.
I had the same thought. They do need somebody to pick up the trash in some areas of the park. Around this RV, I cleaned it up myself.

Also, where I take the trash is very messy much like in the photo in a review I once posted here in a different thread before coming here. But there are no RVs in that area. But there is no attempt at all to keep the trash area looking clean.

Overall, I like this RV Park a lot (perhaps the most of any I have stayed at), but a place this large will certainly have a few issues. Lots of people here and there is always that 2% to cause some issues. I have seen a few cars drive in here playing their scumbag "music" blasting loud, (making everything vibrate) but all that has been during the day. Is very quiet here during the night.

They sure could use a few workers to clean up the place.

-Don- St. Cloud, FL

Could be a staffing issue. A 1/2 empty park will be easier with the staff available, than a park near or at capacity.
Just like the other day, Wife, one our sons, and I, stopped into a Cheddars restaurant in suburban Austin TX., at 2:30 in the afternoon, had a 20 min. wait for a table. Restaurant was 3/4 empty. Manager says they are only allowed to seat a certain amount of people, for the staff available.

I just paid for another week here (only $222.00 per week--the cheapest RV park on this entire trip, also the best, IMO).

I leave here next year on Jan 5.

After I paid, I asked some questions.

This area is mainly reserved for large group gatherings. I MUST leave here by Jan 6 as every RV slot of this section will be occupied on Jan 7.

Also, there will be another RV here in this area this coming weekend, the 31th.

This area is reserved for special stuff. Me being special. . . .

But I still think it would be better business for them to collect the $5,328.00 per week ($222.00 times 24 slots). That's close to 25K$ a month.

I think that would make more sense than to just tell everybody they are full when they are not.

But who can understand some of these business decisions these days?

-Don- St. Cloud, FL

Last edited:
I would guess that "evicting" people from an RV park is just as hard as an apartment.

The other side of the coin is telling you large group that they have to be split up or heaven forbid there is no room for all of them.

Glad you sussed it out as it at least explains their thinking.

I would guess that "evicting" people from an RV park is just as hard as an apartment.
Good point. Perhaps they do it this way because of previous bad experiences that are not even worth 25K$ per month to deal with. But if somebody here such as SeilerBird knows somebody, that will change things. That makes sense because problems are less likely when somebody they already know is looking for a spot for a buddy or relative or whatever.

-Don- St. Cloud, FL

Back
Top Bottom