RV Park Disturbance Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juniperbelle4

Hey ya'll, I'm new to the forum and new to RVing so I really don't know who to ask for this weird question. I have a neighbor who builds little playhouses and does the construction work/sawing, etc...on the property and it is slightly annoying when I am trying to rest on my day off. I don't want to stop anyone from making money but should a park allow someone to have a workshop behind their RV that disturbs other guests? TIA
Extra: I've asked other neighbors and it bothers them too but same thing, they don't want to make someone stop their business if that is how they provide for family...

on the property and it is slightly annoying when I am trying to rest on my day off.
AFAIK, every RV Park has "quiet hours" but they are always at night, such as this one, 2200 hrs. That means they allow reasonable noise until then. But I find most people try to stay quiet as soon as it gets dark. And that includes me.

I used to work nights before I retired. And my next-door neighbor was almost aways working on his house all day long. outside, hammering away. But I figure that one of the reasons I was paid more to work nights. I just had to get used to it, as it was my problem.

If you're in an RV, it's usually fairly easy to move to another RV park.

IMO, it's up to the RV Park if they want to allow the noise you're hearing. But you can always move. I would NOT try to stop the guy from making a living because of daytime noise.

-Don- Ladson, SC

Well, the guy should know that he is bothering his neighbors. And maybe he can adjust his schedule so folks are not disturbed too much.

If he is making money by selling them, it may be considered a business depending on the local laws. I'm sure the campground owners are aware of what he is doing. If no one has complained, they are just letting it go. Could be a touchy situation.

Hey at least they are doing it during the daytime, I have spent the night at a couple of RV parks with inconsiderate neighbors in my travels, there are 3 that come to mind:

The first was at one of the two occasions when I spent a night at the Cabela full hookup RV park in Sidney, Nebraska, I had a group of 5 or 6 neighbors in a travel trailer about 10 feet away that were up to almost midnight watching some sort of sporting event (it was in August, so maybe football), drinking beer, and cheering at their outdoor TV on the side of the trailer

Same trip a few days later spending the night in a city park RV park in SE Kansas one with a 14 day stay limit, and what appeared to be a number of long term tenants that had been there for months, where a neighbor across on the other side of the loop perhaps 75 feet way decided that night was the time to tune up the engine on their 1970's Chevy Nova with glass pack mufflers, this went on until after midnight.

A different trip staying at what is a now out of business RV park on I-49 in NW Louisiana in I think April or May, where we had a neighbor that let their pickup truck with loud exhaust warm up for about 45 minutes before they left (for work I assume) at 3:30AM

What are the rules of the park? That is all that matters.

I agree with spencer
I would have a discussion with the park manager about the rules and the fact that you work nights and sleep days.

I wouldn't go to war or approach the guy.

I'd look for an opportunity to move away from him in the same park, move parks or get earplugs.

Thankfully I sleep like a log until I don't. If someone moves close I wake up immediately but I am pretty oblivious to outside/background noise. Maybe it's y 50+ years of living urban.

I do know some parks do have "no hammering" hours..

One thing you can do in an RV is one of the following.
Turn on the air conditioner... fan mode.. high
The "White noise of the moving air is swiftly "Filtered" by your brain but blocks outside sounds.

Or

A White Noise Generator Google: sleep aid soundscape

You may want to look at everything you do that could be a cause for complaint because if you try to shut him down he's going to come back at you. That's just human nature, he's not going to pack up and leave because you complained and if you shut down his business you'll have made an enemy that knows where you live. Make sure this is a hill you're willing to die on.

Interesting discussion, mostly because when we were fulltime I carried a scroll saw, and assorted other power tools and did sometimes work at my hobby outside of our motorhome in parks and campgrounds. When I was host in several state parks, I would make small toys from wood scraps that I could scavenge and give them to kids in our campground. Meanwhile my wife was often busy inside with her 2 sewing machines and power scissors and such. I never worked on projects before 10 am or after 4 pm, but in the midday I really didn't worry too much about it. My wife used to chuckle at kids stopping by to see if I could come out and play, but that was the only complaint that I was ever aware of.

My wife used to chuckle at kids stopping by to see if I could come out and play, but that was the only complaint that I was ever aware of.

Kirk
You obviously made a good impression on the kids that came around and got some homemade custom toys to play with.
You're the man! đź‘Ť

Your best course of action is to talk to the campground management and simply state your concerns without being judgmental or sounding like a trouble maker. It is possible the campground management is not aware of it. And they might not like it either if the saw dust is blowing around and there are stacks of lumber sitting around.

Always your best course of action is to address the issue of your fellow camper's behavior with the campground management. If they have a problem with it, they'll take care of it. If they don't have a problem with it, then there's nothing you can do anyway, except find a different campground.

Like Kirk, I carry some woodworking tools and do little projects that I donate to the church for fundraising. I usually do it from 1-4 pm. Never have a complaint. However, I don't complain when others do things like drinking lots of beer and be loud or fixing their vehicles. As others have mentioned, talk with management and perhaps move to a different site that meets your needs. In my experience, there are many campers who leave to work during the day, perhaps moving to a site like that will help you.

I could understand the issue if he was out there at 10PM doing the work. During the day it is a difficult call and perhaps needs a one on one talk. If a solution cannot be arrived at perhaps relocating to another site would be in order. We have have been blessed with wheels!

Hey ya'll, I'm new to the forum and new to RVing so I really don't know who to ask for this weird question. I have a neighbor who builds little playhouses and does the construction work/sawing, etc...on the property and it is slightly annoying when I am trying to rest on my day off. I don't want to stop anyone from making money but should a park allow someone to have a workshop behind their RV that disturbs other guests? TIA
Extra: I've asked other neighbors and it bothers them too but same thing, they don't want to make someone stop their business if that is how they provide for family...
goes back to the hours and if its like 7am-7pm, don;t be that guy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom