rv park near 6 flags, Valencia, Calif

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joester

anyone know a nice park to stay at for a couple days while we go to 6 flags to ride some coasters?
thanks, hoping to leave in a coule weeks....

joester said:
anyone know a nice park to stay at for a couple days while we go to 6 flags to ride some coasters?
thanks, hoping to leave in a coule weeks....

Yes. The Valencia Travel Village. It located just off the 5 on HW126. You could almost walk to 6 Flags. Not very far North on the 5 past VTV, and just off the 5 is the Castaic Lake RV Park. VTV is a huge park and more expensive, whereas Castaic is a smaller park and probably has lower rates. Both are very nice parks.

We spent one night at Castaic Lake a few years ago and won't be going back.

We arrived late and were put in the rear row of the park. Very tight and low branches that made maneuvering our class A a real challenge. Also our neighbors were permanently occupying old, old trailers because they obviously couldn't afford anything else.

Not a great stay!

Jeff Cousins said:
We spent one night at Castaic Lake a few years ago and won't be going back.

We arrived late and were put in the rear row of the park. Very tight and low branches that made maneuvering our class A a real challenge. Also our neighbors were permanently occupying old, old trailers because they obviously couldn't afford anything else.

Not a great stay!

Well -- so much for my recommendation, Jeff. :-\ :)  Guess I will have to update my mental files. A lot of parks will have that situation (sites left that they want to rent, but don't until everything else is gone). They "should" let you know up front that that is what is going to happen -- and some do, some don't. I know of many parks that have a "Monthlies" area -- and if there are some vacancies in that area, will use them for overnighters if needed. VTV also has a monthlies segment -- but also have a pretty large overnighters area. Including storage sites, they have over 1,000 sites altogether.

One of my pet peeves when I first started RVing was that the site I found myself in after registering had little resemblance to the site that was described to me on the phone when making the reservation.  In Banning, CA, e.g., I asked for "NO TREES" due to my satellites. The site they sent me to upon arrival had more trees than any in the entire park. Had to go back to the office three times to get a site that would work for me.  And the park was virtually empty at the time. That type of  situation was the main reason my SW allows the operator to mouse click a site from the on screen park map to display a picture of the site for the RVer to see prior to leaving the office. However, if it's all done on the phone -- and you don't go through office registration when entering the park, that doesn't help. :(

As I work with different parks, it's interesting to note how the management of sites differs. On one end of the spectrum, a park will consider a reservation the holding of specific site until the RVer occupies it, or let's them know of a cancellation. On the other end are parks that will not assign a specific site to anyone until they arrive. They then make decisions on where to place that rig. I recall one park on the 5 freeway south of Sacramento that didn't assign a site at all -- just told me to park anywhere I found an opening. I asked it I should then tell them were I was located -- and they say, "No". Of course, there are tons of factors that lead to such decisions by owners and managers, or property managers.

so for one or 2 nights, and taking my rv to 6 flags during the day, is there much difference?
I'd like to have a small campfire in the evening - is this allowed in either park?
thanks, I only have 10 days to get my plans together, and you're input really helps, more so than just a website visit.

joester said:
so for one or 2 nights, and taking my rv to 6 flags during the day, is there much difference?

No, I wouldn't think so.  If you go to Castaic -- call to make sure you have the type of site you are looking for and that they are reserving that site specifially for you.

joester said:
I'd like to have a small campfire in the evening - is this allowed in either park?

Probably not -- other than one of those that you hook up to your propane tank. But not an open fire. VTV has some premium sites that they reserve for clubs -- or overnighters if they are available. It is their "K" row and it's in a circle. In the center is a large barbeque pit so you may be able to build a community fire there. Have attached a picture of site K13. It is looking North into the center of the circle, so most satellites would work looking back out the entrance towards the South. Those are their premium sites so expect to pay more. They recently completed a section of Water and Electric only that would be side by side sites and probably a little less inexpensive. They get $600 plus per month for Monthlies, but considering the location, they are able to do that . . .  :)

Attachments

• K13.jpg
    K13.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 25
other than those 2 parks - whch it appears I may not get into - any others worth looking into in the 6 flags area?
I need to learn to jump on a spot when I find one.....
I need maybe the 28-29 of this month....
thanks

joester said:
other than those 2 parks - whch it appears I may not get into - any others worth looking into in the 6 flags area?
I need to learn to jump on a spot when I find one.....
I need maybe the 28-29 of this month....
thanks

The only other park I know of (The California RV Resort) is about 30-35 miles or so from 6 Flags. It is on the 14 West of Palmdale around the Acton, CA area. Here is their website. The phone number for resrevatons is 1-888-787-8386. It is a very clean paved roads park. Tho most park roads go up and down the side of a hill, the sites themselves are very level. I have stayed there several times and would stay there again. The 14 is, of course, freeway all the way to the 5 and puts you only 5 miles or so South of 6 Flags.

You "do" go up and down a bit as Lancaster is in the high desert area and Valencia is not too far above sea level. The only other item about that location is that Lancaster, Quartzhill, and Palmdale have grown tremedously as prices in LA ski rocket -- so there are tons of commuters hitting that freeway in the AM and returning after work. If one drives under 90mph, they will get run over -- so stay in the slow lane. :) If you call -- ask them about the commute to 6 Flags and the best times to hit the freeway.

thanks for your help - all of your replies were helpful.
our plans are more settled, and now we are to pick up our friends in Fountain Valley, then drive to 6 flags for the day, then return to fountain valley that night.
best bet I thought was to stay at KOA in Pomona, then it's less than 40 miles SW to FV, then up either the 405 or 5 to 6 flags, which brings my next question - from Fountain Valley - which is an easier drove in an rv - the 405 or 5?
thanks again, hope y'alls Christmas was as nice as ours.
Happy new year!

Joe

Another alternative is in Lancaster. it's a straight shot in to 6 Flags, but traffic could be difficult, as Bob mentioned. There is a nice, big open campground at the Fairgounds at the north end of Lancaster, right off 14. Reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom