RV park up and running

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nodak63

Well this isn’t my first post but it’s only my second so this seems like the right place. I’m sure only few of you remember but I posted last winter about opening a small RV park. Well my wife and I, after a lot of work and more money than I had anticipated, have it open. It’s 12 spots that have sewer, water, electricity, and I’m in the process of having WiFi installed. Our website is www.evergreenrvcavalier.com if you wanna see some pictures. We’re definitely out of the normal travel of most people but in our area we are fortunate to have a very nice state park nearby that is a major destination. This last weekend was our first where we were officially open and it was our goal to have it open by June since we had a bike rally in our small town last weekend and our park was full. I don’t think anything really surprised me while getting it ready, except it cost more than I thought. I know people will say to double your estimate which wasn’t far off, it just is amazing how quickly random things add up even for a small park. As said before our first weekend was full and everything went fine. Now I just need to get the word out in the area since it’s empty as we speak, although someone is coming in tomorrow. If anyone is curious about what it took just ask. Just thought some people would like an update and to check out a “mom and pop” small RV park.

Attachments

• C09ED519-29F9-4DAE-BB9C-1D5B392EB7F7.jpeg
    C09ED519-29F9-4DAE-BB9C-1D5B392EB7F7.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 63
  • FF10A2B1-774F-4E38-A32A-79E1888166C0.jpeg
    FF10A2B1-774F-4E38-A32A-79E1888166C0.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 9F66604A-FE17-4A70-9A03-481AC270CD78.jpeg
    9F66604A-FE17-4A70-9A03-481AC270CD78.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 0F92F66C-2C60-438A-9DB0-5BB2C20692B7.jpeg
    0F92F66C-2C60-438A-9DB0-5BB2C20692B7.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 61
Looks great. I would add something in your description that alludes to WHERE you located are in ND. What is the State Park you are near? Looks neat clean well laid out and we love the notion of no trees to block satellite signals. Where have you advertised? Get the word out and they will come!

That is great news. Best wishes, I am sure your park will become a busy place as it is discovered. I submitted a listing on the "RV Parky" web site/app.

Looks great so far! No worries on "only your second post" ;) ... I'll move this message to General RV Discussions, as this topic has come up in the past and will be of interest to many folks here.

For advertising make sure you get your park listed on Google (including Maps) and CampgroundReviews.com and ask visitors to post reviews. Perhaps a request on the documentation you hand out during check-in. Also get your park in the databases for RV Parky, Allstays, and any other RV apps/website directories.

Please feel free to tell us the rest of the building story!

Last edited:
It is great to see a new RV park open and I wish you only the greatest success! With the record RV sales the past few years and scant number of new parks opening and too many closing.

Great news, one bit of advice, put your location and phone number at the top of your web page, that way people browsing on cell phones looking for a place to stop for the night can spot it easier. A map to your location would be good too, even if you are in a very small town, people driving there may no know just how small it is.

Thanks for all the replies. I do have picnic tables out now. I’m debating on what to do about fire rings. If I go permanent I have to mow around them, if I do portable then they have to be moved to mow anyway. Right now we’re currently in a burn ban due to drought so I have some time to decide I suppose.

Also, it won’t be open year round unless someone really wants to stay long term. Generally there isn’t much camping in the winter up here. Usual season would be May till whenever the Ag harvest season ends, usually mid October.

You can also consider the option to offer storage for RVs in the off season. That can be a good way to generate income year round, and offer a potentially needed service.

You probably did the town a favor getting rid of the trailer park. RV's will generate more revenue for the town's businesses, and when the border opens you should see a fair amount of cross border traffic looking for a safe place to stay a night.

Add another sign that asks RV'ers to patronize the local business's and list the names of the pizza place, the coffee house, the cafe, the pharmacy, the hardware store, etc. The businesses might kick in enough money to pay for the sign.

If you haven't, get listed in all of the usual campsite listings, such as Allstays, etc. Also get listed with Google and upload those pics of the CG, in a year or two Google will have new aerial views and those old ones of the trailer park will go away.

Get some more fast growing trees going, especially along the rail line side to lessen the noise and the view. It takes time but it will begin to look more and more like an RV park.

The state park, with 140 campsites with power and water and a dump station is some stiff competition, but I cannot find anything that says how large the sites are at the SP, however many of them are pull off loop type sites it appears.

Charles

Last edited:
NY Dutch, I get what you’re saying about a parking lot. It’s just the nature of the beast. North Dakota doesn’t have many trees as is and it’s actually a nice little spot. I’ve planted more trees but it’ll take time. It being a small town (very small by most people’s standards) town it still has a “camping” feel to it. The entire area to the south is a wheat field. I resisted the advice of a few people I talked to to gravel the whole area instead of keeping grass in between spots. I think everyone enjoys grass more. The spots are the same distance apart as the former mobile homes were. This was to utilize the sewer connections which I think is one of the biggest advantages I have. Although more room is better I figured if people lived permanently that way then RV’s would be alright. I measured the distance between lots of a few other places I’ve been and mine were similar or further apart.
ChalresinGA, as far as doing the town a favor you’re no doubt correct. It was a rundown dump. I had to spend considerable money to clean it up. I also am now responsible for the taxes and special assessments that weren’t being paid before. I’ve definitely done the community a favor in that respect.

Scotty, I had considered off season storage. I will definitely consider it if there’s a demand. But in a community as small as ours most people have a friend that has a farm shed or something similar to store their campers if they don’t have one themselves. Although I may be surprised, hard to say how many people would be interested if for no other reason it was out of their way and not collecting snow.

Congrats on getting up and running.
I agree with Betty. We stay away from parks that have trees blocking satellite reception. I wish parks would list the sites with a "satellite view" or at least know them when I call.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom