RV Plumbing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.


Aug 14, 2006
on our first trip out with our new used travel trailer, I went to hook up the park warer and noticed a small white ball in the water line.  it was stuck in the end of the pipe and it would not allow water into the system.

I tried to push it in as that seemed to be the way it should go, but it would not move. and the water pressure would not push it in.

so I went inside the trailer and turned on the pump and according to my father in law who was outside the ball flew across the landscape and went deep into the bushes next to the campsite. 

so 2 questions.

this ball what is it?

is it necessary?

where do I get another one?

the outside cover drips when you use the water tank and pump.

thanks for your help!


Well-known member
Jan 30, 2006
Sounds to me that you have a failing check valve, and the previous owner jury rigged a plug.  Either find another ball that fits, or find and replace the faulty check valve.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2005
Titusville, FL
As Art has mentioned you have a failed check valve. It's necessary to keep pressure on the line when not using city water. Without it your water pump is going to push water out the fitting.

John From Detroit

Well-known member
Apr 12, 2005
Davison Michigan
You have a few options in the meantime.  You can thread a plug in to that fitting if you have one, or you can get this item along with a 1/2 inch to male and 1/2 inch to female garden hose adapters (All from Lowes)

Check valve

(Note they come in all sorts of sizes, I think I have a 3/4 inch one myself, the only requirement is that the garden hose adapters have to match it, they too come in assorted sizes)

I got the check valve for a different use,  You put the female garden hose adapter on the INLET end, the male one on the OUTLET end and thread the male one into the leaking hose connecton and tighten it down, put a "Cap" in the female end if not using it for water inlet.

Or simply replace the inlet on the trailer.  There are several versions of this but the most common is mounted in a dimpled disk that is held in place with 3 screws, unscroew, remove disk, remove hose from other side of connecter take to camping world or other RV store (they all carry them) get replacment and reassemble

Top Bottom