RV power cord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie101

Hi everyone,  hope you can help.  I have a fifth wheel parked on my property that I rent out ( it stays put )
  Just had converter replaced.  My issue is that where it?s pulled in is about 100 feet away from the trailer so I?m usei g like 3 cords which makes them extremely hot,  even started to met al little.  Before you ask no the trailer can?t be moved closed so is there any way to help the situation,  maybe using just 1 cord (that?s if they even make them that long ) or am I gonna have to spend the money to have another plug in box installed ???  Any advice is much appreciated.  TIA

I believe the safest thing to do would be spend the bucks to have a power outlet installed out by the parking space.

LarsMac said:
I believe the safest thing to do would be spend the bucks to have a power outlet installed out by the parking space.
X2, and I would guess you are using undersized extension cords (ie the melting).  Better fix that, or you will have a whole bunch more expenses.

You really need to hire an electrician, have him dig a ditch and do it the right way. Extension cords just don't cut it after about 100 feet.

SeilerBird said:
You really need to hire an electrician, have him dig a ditch and do it the right way. Extension cords just don't cut it after about 100 feet.
hire the electrician and then have him/her tell you where to dig the ditch. Will save you a whole lot of money. ;)

Sounds like it's a 30 amp rig (Started to melt a bit is common on 30's)

You need a good heavy like 8 ga cord or even a 6  An electrical shop can custom make one for you if you like the price is not as bad as you might expect.. I used to have one for a different use.

^^ Right, it sounds like a larger gauge cord may be what you need... if you aren't currently using a 30-amp RV power cord for a 30-amp system. Your current setup is a fire hazard if cords or connections are melting. Are you currently using just standard (typically orange) household extension cords? They are fine for "trickle charge" uses like keeping batteries topped off or RV fridge running, but are not designed to handle the combined amperage requirements of someone living in an RV. If you are already using a proper 30-amp RV cord and still having melting problems, then the only safe solution is to have the proper wiring run from the house to nearby the RV as mentioned above.

You are getting a voltage drop and need a larger cord. The wire size needs to be matched to you amperage and length.

Jack L

You only said three cords - not the size (gauge) of the wire in those cords. Or how many amps the 5W needs (worse case).  It's apparent the cords you are using are too small in wire gauge, but we cannot recommend anything better without better information.

If you are using three of the common orange "heavy duty" extension cords, it is hardly surprising that they are melting.  Those are mostly 16 gauge wire and way too small. Even 3x 10 gauge (30A) cords may be on the light side.

SpencerPJ said:
X2, and I would guess you are using undersized extension cords (ie the melting).  Better fix that, or you will have a whole bunch more expenses.
LarsMac said:

X's 3 .....Not to mention you won't have a 100 feet of cord laying out in the weather.

One caution about hiring an electrician....

Many are the stories of folks who did that and the electrician wired the outlet wrong

Proper wiring is 120 volts between teh two flat blades you will have a SINGLE breaker feeding it (not a double) make very sure he knows a TT 30 is 120 volt

Now if you have him put in a 50 amp. not all that much more expensive... He will do it right.

Every time I see this thread I crack up. I belong to another forum dealing with high end audio and recordings. In the ultra high end stereo market (read: really stupid people) there are companies that offer, with a straight face, high end power cords, speaker wires and audio cables. You will find this impossible to believe but right now there is a thread there extolling the virtues of a high end power cord. You know the one that plugs into the back of your amplifier and the other end plugs into the wall? Costs $5 at the most. The guy serious claims that if you replace all the cords in you surround system that it will improve the sound. More articulation, better highs, smoother lows, blah blah blah. My system has six such cords. At $5000 each that would be $30,000 for some minuscule improvement that does not exist.  Seriously. And there are people that fall for it. I have seen $70K speaker cables and $10k audio cables. Some people have more money than brains.

John From Detroit said:
One caution about hiring an electrician....

Many are the stories of folks who did that and the electrician wired the outlet wrong

Proper wiring is 120 volts between teh two flat blades you will have a SINGLE breaker feeding it (not a double) make very sure he knows a TT 30 is 120 volt

Now if you have him put in a 50 amp. not all that much more expensive... He will do it right.

I initially replied to this: "If you have to explain that to the guy, you hired the wrong Electrician."
Of course I only say that because I have about a dozen Electricians in the local Family.
But then, just for kicks, I called up one of my cousins and started a discussion about this.
He has been wiring houses for 30 years, but says he never did any wiring for RV power units.

He suggested doing your own research, and not trusting the Electrician.

I stand corrected.
http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/30amp_Service.htm

LarsMac said:
yup. good point. See my re-post
The reason I mentioned this is due to the fact I have read dozens of horror stories of people hiring an electrician and having the guy wire it wrong. I was a union house wiring journeyman for 17 years and if someone hired me and asked for a 30 amp outlet I doubt I would have asked '110 or 220'.

Back
Top Bottom