RV power problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kodaman

I own a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer that all of sudden started popping the house circuit when I plug into shore power. The circuit breaks as soon I plug into 110v using my 30 amp power cord. I tried a new cord and have the same problem. I also replaced the two coach batteries with used batteries but fully charged. That restored power so that I have lights, etc to the RV but the circuit still breaks when I plug in. After sitting overnight, now it looks like the batteries were drained and now the lights do not work at all. Is there something causing a short or can I reset an incoming circuit somewhere? A

Step one would be to turn off all the breakers in your power center and see if the shore power breaker still pops. If so, you have a wiring fault somewhere between the shore plug and the power center. If it doesn't pop you test each breaker singly to see which circuit has the fault.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I own a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer that all of sudden started popping the house circuit when I plug into shore power. The circuit breaks as soon I plug into 110v using my 30 amp power cord. I tried a new cord and have the same problem. I also replaced the two coach batteries with used batteries but fully charged. That restored power so that I have lights, etc to the RV but the circuit still breaks when I plug in. After sitting overnight, now it looks like the batteries were drained and now the lights do not work at all. Is there something causing a short or can I reset an incoming circuit somewhere? A
I hear a few of the 30-amp outlets have been wired incorrectly with 240 VAC at some homes, but I don't think such ever happens at RV parks (at least I hope not!). Let's hope that is not the cause or you could have a few damaged 120 VAC items.

Anyway, disconnect everything possible that runs from 120 VAC. First try what Mark suggested and then check any 120 VAC item you can unplug and see what then happens when you plug things back in one at at time. Includes the inverter and refrigerator 120 VAC.

BTW, when you say "house circuit" exactly what do you mean? And is it a circuit breaker or GFI that is tripping?

-Don- Reno, NV

Step one would be to turn off all the breakers in your power center and see if the shore power breaker still pops. If so, you have a wiring fault somewhere between the shore plug and the power center. If it doesn't pop you test each breaker singly to see which circuit has the fault.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks Mark. l tried this and had the same problem with all the circuits turned off. so it was somewhere but after reading comments below tried a different house circuit without a GFI on the circuit and it now works.

I hear a few of the 30-amp outlets have been wired incorrectly with 240 VAC at some homes, but I don't think such ever happens at RV parks (at least I hope not!). Let's hope that is not the cause or you could have a few damaged 120 VAC items.

Anyway, disconnect everything possible that runs from 120 VAC. First try what Mark suggested and then check any 120 VAC item you can unplug and see what then happens when you plug things back in one at at time. Includes the inverter and refrigerator 120 VAC.

BTW, when you say "house circuit" exactly what do you mean? And is it a circuit breaker or GFI that is tripping?

-Don- Reno, NV
Its fixed and I'm an embarrassed idiot. GFI questions got me thinking that is what was tripping, I did try a different circuit but it also had a GFI which tripped. So, I just tried a circuit without any GFI outlets and it works. Seems strange since I've used the same GFI circuit for years. Just glad its working. Thanks everyone for your help.

Its fixed and I'm an embarrassed idiot. GFI questions got me thinking that is what was tripping, I did try a different circuit but it also had a GFI which tripped. So, I just tried a circuit without any GFI outlets and it works. Seems strange since I've used the same GFI circuit for years. Just glad its working. Thanks everyone for your help.
But you now have to figure out why the GFI is tripping. Could be a shorted to ground AC heating element in the refrigerator, or a corroded outside AC outlet. I mention these two as I had both happen (years apart) in my Y2K RV.

-Don- Reno, NV

That begs the question, what changed with the trailer since you could plug into that household GFCI branch circuit and the trailer received 120V power?
It's possible a loose neutral wire in the main breaker panel is the cause.

Ok A GFCI is kind of like a teeter totter or beam balance (Scales of justice type) it senses current in the HOT and NEUTRAL and so long as they are balanced its happy. But if there is any "leakage" of current (if the balance tips) it trips.

So you have current leaking to ground somewhere in the trailer... THe first suspect is the patio (outside) outlet as it gets rained on but the outlet for the Fridge is #2 especially if you have an ice maker... After that #3 is dang near everything else in the trailer.. Good luck

I've heard converters can do it too. but if you turned off all breakers in the RV and it still popped the GFCI add the shore cord to the list.

Seems strange since I've used the same GFI circuit for years.
I agree with others here that you need to address what has changed to cause that GFCI to trip. It could be minor as they trip with very little current but it could also be dangerous and the GFCI was preventing electrocution.
After sitting overnight, now it looks like the batteries were drained and now the lights do not work at all.
I gather that you really don't have much knowledge of RV electrical systems. I would suggest that you take some time and read The 12V Side of Life and also read 120 Volt RV Electrical System via these links.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FmStars
Back
Top Bottom