RV refrigerator temperatures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikec

Hey all,

I've rented a class C RV for my family's first adventures in camping.  In reading the  info, it appears the refrigerator only cools to 60 degrees.  Does this sound right?  Isn't that well above the temperature that food begins to spoil?  I'm hoping this is a mis-print.  What is the average temperature of an RV fridge?  Do you have any problems transporting hot dogs, hamburgers, etc?

Thanks for the help.
Mike

Something is definitely wrong with 60?!  It is dangerous.  The main compartment of your RV fridge should be 40-42? just like any other fridge, including the one in your house.  Measure the actual temp with a refrigerator thermometer.

Thanks.  That struck me as funny, but wanted another opinion.  I'll definitely measure with a thermometer.

Mike

An effective method of measuring the temp of an RV refrigerator is to buy an aquarium thermometer at a pet shop..a couple of bucks.  Fill a small jar with water and place the thermometer inside the jar and close the lid.

Using this method ensures you get an accurate reading, since most RV's are in warm ambient temps and if a thermometer is taken out of a fridge, it might show a warmer temp than the inside of the fridge.  The water in the jar will maintain a constant temp.

A RV fridge which works on the principle of heat exchange from either propane or electric element heating the gas, directs the cold to the freezer area then the cold is distributed to the rest of the fridge.

The temperature information you were given is definitely incorrect, however once you ensure your fridge is working right, consider getting a small battery operated fan to circulate the cold in your fridge.  These little fans are available in RV supply stores and increase the efficiency of your fridge, especially while in transit when you may wish to turn off the propane.

The absolute maximum inside temperture for any refrigerator, be it in an RV, a House or a Restaurant, is 50 degrees Farenheight.  No more. (Ask if you need that in C instead of F), it is unsafe to store "Cold" food at higher tempertures

A freezer should be able to hit ZERO (approaching from above) though some times you might want to stop at 10 or 20 or even 30 above (Again F) depending on the type of Ice Cream inside.  Deep Freeze is BELOW zero

Oh, revisiting the 50 is absolute maximum.  Though "Below 50" is the recommendation, 40 is better 35 to 40 is best (do not go below 35 or things may freeze that should not, or at least do not go much below 35)

50 is pushing the safety limit

I suspect it says it will cool to a max of 60 degrees below ambient, rather than just to 60 degrees.  That would mean that on a 90 degree day it could cool as low as 30 degrees (90-60), depending on the thermostat setting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom