RV Repair availability - Revel v.s. Storyteller Mode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akrumsee

We are looking at buying a Class B, probably either a Revel or a Storyteller Mode. We like the features of the Storyteller Mode but there isn't a dealer in Ohio and the 2 nearest dealers (Pittsburgh and Louisville) don't have one to look at. So this leaves me concerned about service. If some component of the RV like the heater or the electrical system (as opposed to the engine and other vehicle components) am I going to have to drive 300+ miles from home to get it fixed?

I've reconciled with driving a ways for big purchases. It's nothing for me to put in 3-4 hours in a day to pick up something on Craigslist.

Louisville isn't that far. I used to drive it from Dayton weekly.

I'd be happy that there'd be service at all for my RV. With wait times and questionable integrity being the norm, the time/distance/expense is somewhat secondary. Poor service for most things in general are what's driven me to be self sufficient for everything I own, but if you're not into that then you take what you can get.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Water heaters, furnaces, fridges, stoves and plumbing tend not to be make or model specific. There are a few companies that makes these and they are used industry wide by all the RV manufacturers. Dometic and Atwood are huge manufacturers of RV appliances. You shouldn't need a Revel or a Storyteller dealership for things like this, any RV dealership can change out a furnace in any RV.

The delays on RV dealer repairs is part of the reason why I would not buy new, even if they are nearby chances are good that you will be waiting week or months for them to fix stuff, even under warranty, those are weeks or months when you may not be able to use your RV. I therefore take the attitude that I rather either fix it myself or pay an independent shop / technician do the work in a timely manner, vs waiting months for warranty work at a dealership.

Choose the RV you like best and worry about dealerships later. The warranty lasts a year but you'll keep your RV 3, 5, or more years. The chassis is supported by Freightliner/MB. So, that's not an issue and as @JayArr said, anyone can handle the basic stuff.

We have friends in Albuquerque and they bought a Sportmobile in Austin (totally custom on 4x4 Sprinter chassis). And they make a trip to the factory in Austin every year to take care of the specialized stuff. Which usually isn't very much.

One other question - it's not a Class B Van, but have you checked out the Winnebago Ekko? It's a Ford Gas 4x4 that's technically a Class C but is sized like a Class B+.

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 12.51.16 PM.png

Thanks to all for their input. I appreciate the notion of maintaining it myself. I've done some of that with cars in the past. But I'm 72 now and my body objects to crawling in/under most anything these days.

It is encouraging to know that there are independent repair shops I can turn to for most things.

And I'll definitely look into the Ekko. Sounds interesting.

I always ask, for a big purchase, like an rv, if you wont drive a few days to get it, you may not drive it much after you do…

Arrived Casa Grande yesterday. Left NH Oct 18. 5800 miles.

I am 80 and regularly just do it myself,, recently I had the water pump seal on my Chevy pick-up start leaking.. After getting an "upsell" price from a repair shop of over $900.00 I went to my fav. parts house and in one hour had it R&Rd and done,, then took the old pump (that I had had replaced 6 years ago) back to the parts place where they refunded my money for the new one by calling it a warranty replacement... End result = one hour of time and no out of pocket..>>>Dan

Back
Top Bottom