RV Roof Replacement in Texas to Florida region

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsplaisted

Hi folks,

We've got a 2004 Winnebago 38G, and we're about a month and a half into a 4 month or so trip around the United States.

A couple weeks ago we were driving through southern Arizona and New Mexico. There was a lot of wind, and it tore up some of the fiberglass roofing (on the front left side of the RV). We duct taped it down to prevent it from tearing more of the roof off, and limped along to a campsite and then eventually to Tony's RV Service in Albuquerque where they were able to do a bit of emergency work to get it taped down better. (They were great, and I'd highly recommend them.)

So now we either need some major repairs on the roof, or look at getting a new RV. Per the guy at Tony's RV, this is kind of a defect with fiberglass roofs, and they don't use or make them anymore. So the options for repair include a brand new rubber roof, or possibly putting some metal sheeting on the front of the roof. Both of these are likely quite expensive.

We're currently in San Antonio, TX, and are planning to travel to Florida and stay there a while. Does anyone have any recommendations for repair shops that we should look at along the way? It seems like most repair shops are booked a month or more out, so we'll have to plan ahead.

Thanks,
Daniel

EDIT: Oops, I meant to post this in "General RV Discussions", not "Motorhomes", maybe a mod can move it.

Last edited:
Per the guy at Tony's RV, this is kind of a defect with fiberglass roofs, and they don't use or make them anymore.
It might be something related to your Winnie, but not fiberglass as such, and it wouldn't be typical of fiberglass roofs in general -- many, many rigs have them currently (including my current and previous rigs).

You don't need a different roof material. Winnebago had a design shortcoming in your years that led to their fiberglass roofs coming loose along the side seams. It's a Winnebago design flaw, not a problem inherent to an RV fiberglass roof. Many Winnie owners here had had to have the roof seam moldings removed and the roof membrane better attached.

If yours came loose enough to damage the existing roof membrane, you may need a whole new cover, but if the sheet is still intact it can be re-attached.

There's a bit of the roof missing where it tore off. Here's what it looks like:

RV Roof Damage.jpg

Any suggestions for where to get this repaired?

Thanks,
Daniel

A very good repair would be to replace the existing "tape" with eternabond tape,, then a complete coating of Henrys "Tropi-Cool 887 roof coating with a double coat.. I just finished coating my EPDM rubber roof ( after 24 years ) and it's not expensive and doable in a DIY fashion.. My 38 foot class "A" used three gallons ( at $60.00 per )for the entire roof and was liberally applied... All this after getting a $4200.00 dollar quote for the job..>>>Dan ( The important part in this instance would be to seal the edges really well to prevent wind getting under the top layer..)

Last edited:
It depends on your aesthetic requirements. It certainly could be waterproofed with Eternabond and a EPDM roof coat product, but if you want equivalent to new then you need a new roof membrane. Either new fiberglass sheet or TPO or PVC (avoid EPDM membrane - it chalks badly). Most any large Rv dealer could do that, but their prices are often insane. I don't have any experience with independents, so won't recommend any.

I'm not concerned about the aesthetics, but a bunch of the rooftop came disconnected from the side. It's duct taped now but there's still some flex there and I don't think it will hold long term. So I don't think just waterproofing what's there is enough, it at least needs to be reconnected securely to the side.

Henrys 887 is not just a waterproofing,, it cures with humidity to a hard rubbery elastomeric that ends up about 1/8 inch or more thick and it's 100% silicone.. It looks slippery, but is not,, as well as being bright white, highly reflective and tough.. My roof is now a one piece cover and bonded to each drip rail the length of the coach,, so no more having to replace caulking.. I am very impressed with this product..>>>Dan

Last edited:
I'm not sure a coating is going to restore the integrity of the roof. The membrane has been compromised and it would be my opinion a coating would be short lived. If the coach is otherwise decent I would consider it worth the expense to install new filon and reset the clock for continued service. Not cheap, but cheaper than a different RV especially of that vintage which are all going to be at about the same state of roof decomposition. I've had to repair and replace roofs on my S&B over the years, it's never fun but you don't tear down a house because the roof is shot. This is one of those things like a failed engine, transmission or other mechanical issue you just have to weigh the cost of correcting it vs walking away.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Sorry to see that. But that is the result of "deferred maintenance". Your owners manual will tell you that you're supposed to check the caulking every 6 months. The filon is only held by the caulking/adhesive. The filon is just tucked in behind the aluminium rail and the caulking is holding it there. I think there is a drawing showing the roof cross-section in the Winnebago resources John Canfield maintains. Edit. I found it.

Attachments

• 2010-10 Roof to Sidewall Joint Sealing(1).pdf
    478 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
For a place to repair your roof I would check with Lazy Days in Tampa.

Check out RVRoofs.Com all they do is RV roofs and offer life time warranty. Had my roof replaced for 1/3 the cost Winnebago want and Winnebago would not warranty their work.

Daniel, I'm curious as to what you have done with your roof since this thread was begun four months ago. Your picture of your roof reminded me of the one I took of my roof after getting caught in a 60mph crosswind in Washington this past June. I lost a little more than you did but after running through severe storms on the way home to Florida and having water drip out fo the ceiling in several different places, it has been determined that I need an entirely new roof, all the way down to the ceiling. We are hoping we can salvage the styrofoam insulation panel that is sandwiched between the luan on both sides and the fabric on the bottom and the filon on top. We already have severe mold in some areas of the ceiling. I checked with Winnebago and they told me they can no longer make a roof for my 2005 Adventurer 38J.

If you have weatherproofed the luan enough that you haven't started water leaking, you'll be able to get by replacing just the filon and outer luan. Your insurance should cover this because it will be about a $23,000 job.

If you have already had the roof replaced, let me know where you got it done.

We already have severe mold in some areas of the ceiling
I figured your insurance would have just totaled your rig by now.

So they are just going to pay for repairs when you finally find a place to do it? Or what?

Saying hi.

I figured your insurance would have just totaled your rig by now.

So they are just going to pay for repairs when you finally find a place to do it? Or what?

Saying hi.
My insurance company sent a check for what they want to pay to my coach repairman who says he can do the job. The coach is in the shop right now and will probably not see the light of day until after the first of the year. Insurance is paying more than what my coach guy says will take to fix it so we're going to skip putting filon back on the roof and go with RV Flex Armor that is guaranteed for the life of the coach. I'll probably have to chip in a grand or two to complete the job, but it will be worth it to me.

Back
Top Bottom