Rv Roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teo_cobian

Hello fellow Rv'ers,  ;D my name it Teo and I'm new to the forum!
Sorry if this question is repetitive, but i have not found a clear answer.
First of all, I just bought a 1995 southwind storm, while I was washing it I noticed some cracking on the curve where the roof and the walls meet. I have a couple of questions, 1) what type of roof do I have (I'm Guessing it is fiberglass)? Second, is it repairable by a fairly handy guy like me? I have been reading in the forums that there is a paintable sealer for roofs. Can anyone tell me what the process would be ???

Hi Teo. I suspect you have a fiberglass roof.

If your roof is fiberglass and if the crack is not structural, many folks here use Eternabond tape. One source for this wonderful tape is Best Materials.

Another alternative, but more costly unless you can do it yourself, in which case it will be more time consuming, is to use a fiberglass repair kit. In the kit will be 2-part epoxy resin, filler and, if the crack is large, fiberglass tape. However, this would leave a surface that's a different color from the rest of the roof/wall.

A third alternative, if the crack is not too large, would be to use a gel coat repair kit which will include color additives so you could match the color of your roof or wall.

Hmmm. I doubt if a 95 Storm has a fiberglass roof.  More likely EDPM rubber. But Eternabond will work on either material.

You can also paint on a sealer such as Liquid Rubber

A number of RV roof repair products are available here

Another product is described here

thanks Tom and Gary,

My cracks are about 1/8 of an inch wide and about 3 inches long. They are fairly spread out on the roof in about 4 places and in cluster of about 5-6 cracks in each area. I was thinking of using the paint on liquid roof product. That would be good enough for a while right?

thanks
Teo

Tom and or Gary,
I am also going to redo my seals on my roof(around A/C, vents, etc. I should do this before I paint on liquid rubber right? Also Is there a product you recommend?

Thanks again!
The new guy
Teo

Dyco C10 Flow Seal is one good RV roof caulk - it's self leveling.  Dicor RV Roof Sealant is another.  RV stores usually have one or the other.

By the way, in addition to the products I mentioned previously, Kool Seal is a popular paint-on roof coating that works OK on EDPM rubber roofs. It's widely available in hardware stores, home centers, etc. and so may be less expensive than products with "RV" in their name and sold mostly through Rv dealers.

Gary and John are right on target  After sealing its vital, IMHO, to coat the roof  Ist by the cleaner , then the primer, and then the sealer.  I used 3 coats of sealer on mine and it looks super great. Good Luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom