RV Route Planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlphaZed

Friends, I'm looking an app/website/service to help me plan my routes. I'm testing the pro version of "The Dyrt" and created a few test routes, but it failed in every case. I mean, it routed me over single lane mountain roads with tight radius turns and other deal breakers for RVs.

I'm looking for something that will help me select the best RV route with RV friendly gas stations, rest stops and other things that apply to RV travel. Any ideas?

We use RVTripWizard and have been happy with it. You can choose RV friendly routes, fuel stops, and search for campgrounds that meet your criteria within a configurable driving range.

How big is your rig? Many routes are available to go most places except only the biggest of rigs? What are your concerns?

We use free RVPARKY app to plan trips. After we have the route planned I use Google maps satellite to check the route.
RVPARKY shows routes, low bridges, campgrounds, fuel stops, etc.

I started using RV Trip Wizard recently, and am generally satisfied with it. It will plan a trip based on how, where and the size of your rig. It will show you campgrounds, fuel stops, places of interest, and provide campground reviews among other information. You can "fly" over the route with google map, and it provides turn-by-turn instructions.
I especially like it because traveling I can get turn-by-turn instructions on my iPhone or iPad without using data.

We use free RVPARKY app to plan trips. After we have the route planned I use Google maps satellite to check the route.
The trailer is 22', but that's not the issue. Case in point: "The Dyrt" routed us, from Oakdale, CA to Markleeville, CA, via HWY 4, directly over Ebbetts Pass. It's a route I've ridden on my motorcycles manys times, but it is absolutely not RV friendly -- even for the smallest rigs. Steep elevation changes, single lane, tight hairpins, etc. All the things that make it a great motorcycle road, make it terrible for RVs. So, I'd say I lost a little faith in The Dyrt after seeing that...
How big is your rig? Many routes are available to go most places except only the biggest of rigs? What are your concerns?

Thank you. I'll give them a try. :)

The trailer is 22', but that's not the issue. Case in point: "The Dyrt" routed us, from Oakdale, CA to Markleeville, CA, via HWY 4, directly over Ebbetts Pass. It's a route I've ridden on my motorcycles manys times, but it is absolutely not RV friendly -- even for the smallest rigs. Steep elevation changes, single lane, tight hairpins, etc. All the things that make it a great motorcycle road, make it terrible for RVs. So, I'd say I lost a little faith in The Dyrt after seeing that...
Here is my take and i pull a 45ft 5th wheel toy hauler thats 13ft 5 tall - if i see semis im safe if i see 5ton delivery trucks im good in 43yrs ive never been wrong and ive seen most of canada and the usa but i also look for the road signs that say low bridge

Here is my take and i pull a 45ft 5th wheel toy hauler thats 13ft 5 tall - if i see semis im safe if i see 5ton delivery trucks im good in 43yrs ive never been wrong and ive seen most of canada and the usa but i also look for the road signs that say low bridge
In my mind, I had made a mountain out of a molehill. Now that I've got several trips under my belt, towing -- even on steep, winding roads and off-road -- I've had no problem whatsoever.

Here’s another vote for RV Trip Wizard. It is a very handy app. You enter your RV information (height, weight, length) into the app, then it plans routes where you will fit.

It also gives you all the information about RV parks on your route (ratings, web site links, etc.) in one place. Very handy!

My big problem is that we are frequently out of cell coverage. RVTW is a web app. No Web- No App.
I can understand AlphaZed's issue, but all the trip planers I have tried since the free standing died want to route you by interstates.... Not what we have in mind. If that was all I wanted, I would use a Truckers Atlas and an erasable pen.
Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
We all have choices to make.
Matt

My big problem is that we are frequently out of cell coverage. RVTW is a web app. No Web- No App.
I can understand AlphaZed's issue, but all the trip planers I have tried since the free standing died want to route you by interstates.... Not what we have in mind. If that was all I wanted, I would use a Truckers Atlas and an erasable pen.
Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
We all have choices to make.
Matt
Be advised that RVTW is a planning tool only - it is not a turn-by-turn GPS router. With that in mind, once you have your trip all planned out, from the comfort of your home, you can then use its "companion" app on your mobile phone, RV Life PRO, as a turn-by-turn GPS system. RV Life PRO will input your trip from RVTW and give you an RV safe route. And it has the capability to download the maps you need to complete your trip, so once on the road a cell signal is not needed.

I used to be very successful at both planning and navigating with the old Street Alas or Strips and Treats. Using a smart phone app for navigation has gotten us in trouble three times now. (It would have been only two, but I forgot about the first.) To download the maps, (I have done this) you have to be very sure where you are going, and we often are not. When you drive off the downloaded map, and it is easy to do, the navigator is now stuck on the dinette table with a felt pen and a Trucker's Atlas that has poor detail, but we can use that to get us where the Garmin can direct us as best it can. We don't need an "RV
Safe Route", we just need a good route to get us where we want to go. For a while, I had a nametag that said "Navigator" under my name. I do know how to do this, but I really miss those good packages. I haven't had the time to make Co-Pilot work for me yet and Furkot is still stuck as an on-line only.
Matt

"Treats and Strips" LOL Loved T&S. Good Sam had one the was pretty good too. All gone now Alas.
I

Back
Top Bottom