RV sales are up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skydivemark

Just read this adticle. Since ours is only a few years old we have no plan to buy or sell anytime soon but it does spark my curiosity how this (if it's the same nation wide) will effect prices.
I guess another effect could be; if a lot of these people decide it's not for them in the next few years it could significantly effect the market.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/pursuits/-covid-campers-rv-motor-home-and-travel-trailer-sales-shoot-up

Hi,

The news media likes to telling frighting stories to scare the viewers whom they think are children. I'd rather see facts and more positive outlooks than we are given.

I'm sure that some of the people who have bought without doing any research will sell their RV's. I am sure some will find it a wonderful way to travel and it will become a life long way of travel. I'm amazed that after four years of ownership and before that four years of research, I'm still learning things. There are positives and negatives but overall it's a great way to travel. Living in the area where lots of RV's are made, hoping for continued sales for those people.

Was just discussing with a neighbor. A number of state parks out this way are open to RV campers, but closed to tent and other camping. And many have closed their restrooms and showers and such. so if you want to "get away" you can find a lot more places to get away to if you have your own bathroom.

A year from now, we could see a lot of used RVs on the market, sort of like the full animal shelters a few months after Christmas.

I know that I've had a number of people stop by and ask if our rig is for sale.

The reports seem spotty - a few with brisk sales and other areas desperately trying to drum up some business. Re-opening campgrounds will surely help a lot, but RV sales nationwide were already down 20% vs last year when the pandemic hit.

Some people will probably try to unload their RVs simply due to financial pressures. I think those that can afford to keep them will go back to camping again.

With the millions of people out of work the type of campers being sold and the numbers has to be down..but there are people traveling but self  contained units are a must. Carry plenty of clothes as laundry facilities are iffy at private campgrounds . So doing laundry is not as easy. I cant say enough for the places that participate with the harvest host network ..there are more that's offering water now with some with electric for a few bucks. So with the combination of a small solar setup , even the portable ones and a couple of deep cycle batteries or agm  batteries you can do just fine without owning class A and Class C units ..of course we are simple folks anyway .. seeing the country and its natural beauty is still possible if you are flexible.

camperAL said:
Hi,

The news media likes to telling frighting stories to scare the viewers whom they think are children. I'd rather see facts and more positive outlooks than we are given.

I saw nothing frightening in that article.

El Monte RV reported their sales and rentals are up significantly. Their CEO said that many were to first-time RVers.

Separately, RVShare reportedly has seen their rentals skyrocket.

I think that RV sales may suffer temporarily because of the unemployment matter. But when the economy begins to recover, I think RV sales will boom because it is the one way you can vacation and see the country without coming in contact with large groups of people. Travel by air, train and bus will suffer for a long time; at least until a vaccine is administered. But traveling by RV is safe.

There was just a news story here as well, a reputable RV dealer just a hundred miles south of Elkhart Indiana, says his sales are 2x what they were last May, and he is very busy.

I saw the same story SpencerPJ, but I also noticed this AM on the news that Elkhart County , (RV Central) has the 2nd most unemployment in the state.

I can give you my experience over the last 6 months.

I listed my DP around Thanksgiving, well before the pandemic.

I got a buyer right away but that did not work out after waiting 6 weeks for him to retire.

I did tell several prospective buyers that it was sold.

Before the virus I showed it several times and had deals that did not work out for different reasons.

The virus seems to have spurred a lot of interest after the first month or so.

The last few months the interest and number of inquiries has continued to grow greater each week on a gradually steeper curve that to my surprise seemed to match the infection growth curve.  I do think that many of them were bored from being at home and were window shopping or maybe dreaming about RV travel.

By the time that I sold it a few weeks ago I got full asking price, (though I did give him a new set of tires).  I also had accumulated three other serious buyers that also wanted it at the last minute. 

I do think that the use of an RV as an alternate to flying and other public transportation will be a factor going forward and self containment, including solar will be important.

Just my observations and opinion.

I'm sure sales differ significantly by region and the article (for the most part) only referred to one dealer with a couple locations in one metro area.
I did read an article several weeks ago that one of the RV manufacturers folded. Can't recall which one.

My experience is with Lazy Days, Tampa and Tucson.  In Tampa in anticipation of the virus they laid off many workers, the ones left behind found an upsurge, now they are bringing folks back.  As we traveled across country we found in Tucson, also laid off some staff.  I got an appointment of Weds the 27th for an oil change, but over the weekend they sold 50 units.  My appointment was cancelled because they were putting all service staff on PDI's to get coaches ready to deliver.  One of the salesfolks I know there told me she had sold 20 units to date and this was before the weekend! 

What is the driving force?  I believe some of it is definitely the aversion to ar travel right now, but I have done no surveys.

I was talking to our dealer the other day and he just mentioned "business is good" so I'm happy for him - it's a small, family-run place. On a related note, we have friends with a pool and spa business and he said he's sold more pools and spas in the past 2 months than he ever has. Sounds like people are planning to stay home this summer and maybe longer!

My insurance agent specializes in RVs and boats.  We spoke this morning. (I Broker Boats and last 3 weeks we have done above normal # of sales, hearing same from others in industry). Anyway, agent said his insurance business for both boats & RVs has sky rocketed (new owners)  in past 3 weeks.  His ?reason? is that Boomers are thinking who knows about this virus, I have money, let?s spend it now and enjoy?.  Not sure I buy that, but whatever the reason it appears sales have accelerated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom