RV steps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaGal

Thought I'd share what for us was a perfect solution since we are set-up for full-timing, at least for the near future. Would also be suitable for those who stay a few weeks or more in one spot.

Background - because I am vertically challenged (5') the pull out steps were unhandy to say the least. I had to step up to unlatch the door, then step back down to open the door. The steps are further apart than a normal step and even with the grab bar, coming up or going down was a little treacherous, especially if I was carrying something. I couldn't reach the securing latch for the passenger side belly door without using a stepstool, also not ideal balance wise.

We looked into building or buying a wooden platform with rails and stairs but with the price of wood and the weight we decided to try to find a product made of metal.

We looked at several products and decided on this one, sold at Home Depot - they make various styles and sizes but I wanted a large platform. The beauty of this - there are no bolts, only pins, it comes apart or goes together in minutes and each piece weighs no more than 50 lbs, lays flat and fits in the belly if we were to travel.

1624542826820.png
disclaimer - I have no interest in EZ-Access or Home Depot. :)

Last edited:
A bit pricey, but it would make entering and exiting the rig a breeze! Thanks for sharing.
True, they are pricey.

We tried for weeks to find something used, like mobile home steps, using facebook marketplace, craig's list, etc. Nothing suitable, or too far away, or too heavy. Then, we priced materials to build one as well as the cost to have it built and there was very little difference.

These are made in the US - and so lightweight that I believe even my husband, who is very limited physically, and myself could disassemble it and stow it away.

There is a company in Michigan who makes something similar, but not out of aluminum, who offer a smaller platform for a smaller price. One advantage to theirs is the platform and steps are made out of a type of grate - which should shed snow and ice. Even though our flat surfaces are ridged we'll still have to make provisions to avoid slipping in the winter. We're in Virginia but we still get a few days or weeks each winter with ice and snow.

Michigan companies naturally thing of snow :)

There are also ramps. Like motorcycle ramps some are light weight But I dont' knwo how long they are.. I like walking up/down ramps as opposed to steps if the pitch is not too steep.

Last ramps I had were donated to a church that did NOT have wheel chair access.. Set the ramps (Which were modified for a lower rise) on the door sil and ... Instant wheel chair access.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom