RV stops south of Nashville?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Excalibur

Hi all. We are planning a trip to the Gulf Coast of Mississipi . We have decided to take the I-71 to I-65 route through Nashville. I have made many runs through Nashville but always headed west on I-40 heading to AR, LA, or TX, so not familiar with I-65 past Nashville. Looking for a place to stop for the night just south of Nashville. Any body familiar with places to stop with the TT for the night? Tennessee only allows 2 hours in the highway rest stops. Dont want to do the Walmart parking lot thing - wife likes her creature comforts. Any place where we can at least plug in. Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:
Tennessee only allows 2 hours in the highway rest stops.
I was surprised how much of that is out east. Out here in the west you may always stay overnight at any highway rest stop. At least all I have seen in CA, NV and IIRC, TX, OR and WA as well.

The sign a few miles east of Auburn, CA at the Gold Run Rest Stop:

1705288997002.png
-Don- Reno, NV

How about taking the Natchez Trace national parkway from just outside Nashville, to Natchez. There are 3 free dry camping RV campgrounds along the Trace, one is in Tennessee, 2 are in Mississippi. Camping - Natchez Trace Parkway (U.S. National Park Service)

I have driven through all 3 campgrounds, and spent the night at one of them (Jeff Busby) They are basic, no reservations, mostly wooded campgrounds of the type you might expect at State parks, etc. with basic restrooms, a mix of pull through and back in sites, though Jeff Busby does have some strange double pull through sites. The trace makes a nice leisurely drive (50 mph max speed limit, about 450 miles total length), though the lanes are narrower than most highways and there are often no shoulders.

There are also a number of public and private campgrounds along the length of the trace (state park, national forest, private campgrounds, etc.)

If you can do without the power, I-65 south of Nashville at exit 46 is a Cracker Barrel with RV parking.
In Alabama at exit 351 (about 15 miles into Alabama) and Exit 328 south of Decatur, about 40 miles into Alabama. All have RV parking.

Charles

How about taking the Natchez Trace national parkway from just outside Nashville, to Natchez. There are 3 free dry camping RV campgrounds along the Trace, one is in Tennessee, 2 are in Mississippi. Camping - Natchez Trace Parkway (U.S. National Park Service)

I have driven through all 3 campgrounds, and spent the night at one of them (Jeff Busby) They are basic, no reservations, mostly wooded campgrounds of the type you might expect at State parks, etc. with basic restrooms, a mix of pull through and back in sites, though Jeff Busby does have some strange double pull through sites. The trace makes a nice leisurely drive (50 mph max speed limit, about 450 miles total length), though the lanes are narrower than most highways and there are often no shoulders.

There are also a number of public and private campgrounds along the length of the trace (state park, national forest, private campgrounds, etc.)
Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.
If you can do without the power, I-65 south of Nashville at exit 46 is a Cracker Barrel with RV parking.
In Alabama at exit 351 (about 15 miles into Alabama) and Exit 328 south of Decatur, about 40 miles into Alabama. All have RV parking.

Charles
Thank you.

Just a couple months ago I stayed at Camper's RV park just a hop and a skip east of I-65 near Columbia TN. We needed a water stop and their wifi was good, so it was our stop before our final push west back to NM. Not cheap but handy I guess. I discounted camping on the Trace, as I didn't want to be wondering if there were any sites available. I also stayed at David Crockett state park which worked out well but that's getting a bit out of the way from I-65. I would add that a good number of our stays in TN were at COE campgrounds and the only issue was finding an open reservation. I'd bet now you'd have better luck and the price/amenities can't be beat.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Just a couple months ago I stayed at Camper's RV park just a hop and a skip east of I-65 near Columbia TN. We needed a water stop and their wifi was good, so it was our stop before our final push west back to NM. Not cheap but handy I guess. I discounted camping on the Trace, as I didn't want to be wondering if there were any sites available. I also stayed at David Crockett state park which worked out well but that's getting a bit out of the way from I-65. I would add that a good number of our stays in TN were at COE campgrounds and the only issue was finding an open reservation. I'd bet now you'd have better luck and the price/amenities can't be beat.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks Mark. I have stayed in COE campgrounds before. Agree that they are good places.

This past summer we spent 2 weeks at the Nashville I-24 RV Park - it's in Smyrna, just south of Nashville. The park is nice, and the people were very friendly.

I would add that a good number of our stays in TN were at COE campgrounds and the only issue was finding an open reservation. I'd bet now you'd have better luck and the price/amenities can't be beat.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Especially if you are over 62 and get half price on all sites with the America the Beautiful discount pass card. $28 for electric, water and sewer. Right next to big rivers and lakes with good fishing. Pretty safe where the hosts make hourly rounds until the entrance gates are locked after 10 PM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missy777
Back
Top Bottom