RV Storage- Weather - Sun - Carport Did you Build One, Show Me Please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
X

X-Roughneck

Hello board,  We are Semi-new RVrs. 

We downsized, moved a couple 100 miles to our new Sticks and bricks.  Basically walked away from the Rat Race in July 2019.

At our new place we poured 1000 +' of Concrete, (AKA: Weed killer) in the back yard, installed a 16? gate.  Paid to move a freshly installed 16? gate, purchased our first RV ever in August flying from San Antonio, TX to Detroit, Motor City USA, Michigan, one way for a Fly, buy and Drive back to West Texas. 

In between staying out of the Summer 2019 heat I did some DIY sweat equity installing our Desert scaped front and back yards at our little house in the hood.  Met a guy that built a porch for us.  Did I mention I love smoking some BBQ?  It?s in Texas DNA.

Now it is time to build that RV Cover we need.

In my, "Neck of the woods", mesquite trees and prickly pear cactus would actually be more fitting.  Here in the high desert summer time temps easily top out for consecutive 90 days in the ?Flame Throwing Heat? category.  July, August, and September are dreaded almost.

I want shade and cover for our $$ investment. 

Sun and Water are destructive forces, and wind does a whammy on things too.  We have plenty of everything but water where I reside.  Stay out of the sun and the south western wind coming off those mountains in Mexico will just make you want to grab a beer and listen to some HWjr

There are 2 types I am considering.

1 The one I really want is something I see at car lots, 2 metal boxed arms cantilevered with stretched colorful nylon sail, A frame pitch,

but?? I can see that 10 years down the road that Nylon will look like a Flag on a Ship on Deadliest Catch or the Land Version, with No Water, a Flag Flying atop a Oil Derrick looking out over the Permian Basin. Torn Tattered, Out ?der flapping (ODF), Flying Bold and Proud, but in this case whipping my RV.

I am also thinking this could be done on the cheap, DIY with 4 each tall Metal I beams of steel, nylon tarp and a come along, 15? to 13? Pitch, concreted 3 ft down at corners of my pad, Slant??  though, am I crazy?  Of course I am. 

2.  Here are the photos of the one I think I am probably going to get.

I got quoted $4189 installed.  (35? x 15?) with corners at 12? high. Flattened ?A? shaped roof, corrugated type metal on the 2 each 35?long sides have 3? down hang for sun and high enough to allow ease of walk around RV.

My Worry and I think is valid, the RV we own is 11?4? at top of roof AC unit to ground level, so I am asking myself?Roof maintenance would be impossible at 12? on the corners apex-ing out to 14' ish? Dieting is not a option for getting that small.

//Building this frame will prevent me from a full awning extension here at the house. 

I need to go a little higher on the corners 14?-15? pitching higher to roof apex.  I need to have enough room to get up there and have at least attic maneuverability? Maint on Seams, etc. 
Plus I can easily mount a solar panel for a trickle charge for the coach batts on the corrugated.

I think keeping the project at a max of $5K is top end of my reality.

The seller guy I talked to on the phone said they guarantee 90 MPH winds because of the anchoring on each side of the legs at the concrete feet. 

I think if I am outside and the wind is blowing 89 MPH I am probably going to be looking at a funnel cloud anyway.

Carport Seller told me if the pad is 16? then make the width 15? so the holes they drill in the pad won?t crack the concrete RV pad.

On the demo lot where I snapped these pics, I got out of the car and shook the awning leg as hard as I could.  Nobody was there so I didn?t hold back.  I was impressed.  The demo was anchored into the earth on the 4 corners.  It felt real solid, I like the way the bracing has no real nesting opportunities for birds to nest and crap on my RV.  We got birds around here.  Did I mention Archie, my Apricot Male Shar Pei has fallen in Love with the chickens next door?  Birds.  Yea we got ?em.

Attachments

• Demo Concreted at 4 Corners.jpg
    Demo Concreted at 4 Corners.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 159
  • RV Pad 36 x 16.jpg
    RV Pad 36 x 16.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 142
  • BLAZING July 2019 never set gate by google maps.jpeg
    BLAZING July 2019 never set gate by google maps.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 149
I'm doubt if our solution will apply to you - but I will share.  We are in the middle of a project to put up a 32'x48' kit barn designed around our 37' Fleetwood.  The materials are $19k and labor $22k.  It will have to roll-up doors on the front - a tall one for the RV and a shorter one for our tractor and implements.  It will include a 50amp outlet.   

I will send a picture when it's done if interested. 

thelazyl said:
I'm doubt if our solution will apply to you - but I will share.  We are in the middle of a project to put up a 32'x48' kit barn designed around our 37' Fleetwood.  The materials are $19k and labor $22k.  It will have to roll-up doors on the front - a tall one for the RV and a shorter one for our tractor and implements.  It will include a 50amp outlet.   

I will send a picture when it's done if interested.

Nice, Sure post the pics on this thread or start your own.  Will that be your extended home when not on the road? 

I will do that.  We are excavating now and hope to start putting the wood up in a few weeks.  We added 1/2 acre to our lot (around our permanent home) to make room for it.  I'm still working so our longest trips are 2 weeks. 

Originally I wanted to put up one of the temporary structures that are a few thousand dollars.  My DW nixed that idea for a permanent structure. 

I had a 24X36X12 carport ,open end -sides enclosed installed last Sept from Carolina Carport for 5k to keep our 5th wheel and pontoon boat in. The peak is about 16' has plenty of height to inspect the roof of our 5th wheel.

Looking at the pic you posted of the carport if built like mine. The sidewall height is measured to the top of the leg on the sides. So with the corner tube bent part you'll gain about 1' on the sides. I found that out on mine when I measured after they installed. Also if you center your rv you'll gain a little more being about 2 1/2' from the side. My 5th wheel is 13' to the top of the a/c and I don't have any problem. One other thing is my ends don't have the upper end enclose like that the one in your pic has.

I wish I had 5K to build one like that!  My main concerns are, like you said,  1.  height for inspecting and maintaining roof.  2. Is is wide enough to open the slides?  3. Like Jay said, I would lose the end caps unless I made it higher.

What would it cost to go 35' x 16 or 17 ft wide x 14' high?  How about 40' long in case you get a longer rig?

grashley said:
I wish I had 5K to build one like that!  My main concerns are, like you said,  1.  height for inspecting and maintaining roof.  2. Is is wide enough to open the slides?  3. Like Jay said, I would lose the end caps unless I made it higher.

What would it cost to go 35' x 16 or 17 ft wide x 14' high?  How about 40' long in case you get a longer rig?

Appreciate the feedback from everyone.  I am still interested in the nylon covers. sails.  I can't find a company to make custom lengths.  I saw some large pavilions where the areas were covered by tarps, the perimeter of the nylon rectangle had a 1/4" cable where nylon was loop sewn near the edge.  When the tarps were hung the cable is taking the brunt of the stretch in the wind not the material of the sail.  I can't find a company online that makes tarps/  I am really thinking about I beam on the corners.  Make like one long side 15' tall and the other like 13'  I could probably get the 4 each I beams where I can put right at 3 ft concreted in the ground.  Jack hammer rental along with a stinger pole on a truck to set vertical.  I still think with a come along I could get the stretch I am looking for.  Another thing is 2 beams even higher in the center for a total of 6 beams on vertical.  I can only imagine that with a area of 36x16 to cover that tarp would have to be in the 200 LB range, guessing. It would have to be quality to hold up to the wind and sun. 

Attachments

• RV Frame.jpg
    RV Frame.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 95
  • stretch tarp.jpg
    stretch tarp.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 91
As a visitor to Texas I notice that shade sells. Fabric sunshades as you describe are seen in playgrounds, parking lots, boat slips, detail shops, lots of places.  It shouldn't be too difficult to find a canvas shop that can make what you need, though you may end up with a few smaller, slightly overlapping, shades instead of one big sail.  If you're near a lake, a marina would be a good place to inquire.  It probably won't be cheap, however, and you may find that a rigid structure will be longer-lasting in your environment and therefore a better investment.

msw3113 said:
As a visitor to Texas I notice that shade sells. Fabric sunshades as you describe are seen in playgrounds, parking lots, boat slips, detail shops, lots of places.  It shouldn't be too difficult to find a canvas shop that can make what you need, though you may end up with a few smaller, slightly overlapping, shades instead of one big sail.  If you're near a lake, a marina would be a good place to inquire.  It probably won't be cheap, however, and you may find that a rigid structure will be longer-lasting in your environment and therefore a better investment.

You are probably right.  I refined my google search this morning.  The size that I need, Top of the Line material that can with stand the Blast Furnace Heat is $2000 + just for the cover, Minus what I am going to spend on setting I Beams in the ground.  As a mostly DIY.. I see pain in stretching the sail.  Even with a "come-along" the weight of that sail has to be at least a couple hundred pounds. 

To me the fabric would be lucky to last 10 years down here in the Desert Sun and Winds. 

The wind in the spring here is strong!  I put 18" tie downs into concrete in my swing near my RV.. I can imagine the force of Big Wind Gusts on that big patch of fabric.

The sun in the summer is blistering, HOT!

But I must say, It is a "Dry Heat."  :p 

Attachments

• Swing Anchors.jpg
    Swing Anchors.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Chinese General Contractor Archie.jpg
    Chinese General Contractor Archie.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Wind Ready Off Porch Swing.jpg
    Wind Ready Off Porch Swing.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 85
grashley said:

Agreed Grassley, I am going to have to throw a few more Benjamins at it to get more height.  I know the demo model I gave a oil Field shake to had to be close to 18 ' I am guessing.  Thing felt SOLID!  Taller than 12' I got a quote for at $4200-ish.  I will need a bit of more space for roof maintenance.  I like there are not a-lot of bird nesting opportunities on this Steel build frame. 

What good is sun protection when you have acidic bird crap all over your paint? 

X-Roughneck said:
Agreed Grassley, I am going to have to throw a few more Benjamins at it to get more height.  I know the demo model I gave a oil Field shake to had to be close to 18 ' I am guessing.  Thing felt SOLID!  Taller than 12' I got a quote for at $4200-ish.  I will need a bit of more space for roof maintenance.  I like there are not a-lot of bird nesting opportunities on this Steel build frame. 

What good is sun protection when you have acidic bird crap all over your paint?

I have been researching this too.

There are models with steeper roof angles for about the price you got. I looked at a 18?x 40? unit with 12? sides. Under $5k.
No problem getting 13?6? under.

If the unit is under shelter why obsess over roof maintenance? Do the inspection before backing it in. Order materials, pull it out and do the work. I chose 18? wide so I could open the slides. Why do you need awning out while stored? In any case, the shelter acts like the awning.

Most towns have a Tent & Awning company that can do everything from window awnings to really big awnings like you want.  You may want to try them.

X-Roughneck - Sorry but I had this built in 2013 and don't have records that far back.  I'll keep looking and if I find something I'll post.

I have reached out to the guy that built my porch here at my house this summer.

I know he has a welder. 

If he wants I asked him to give me a bid this week. 

I have a couple of companies I need to get a quote on for 14' corners I found on the Net.  That will give me a apex around 16' and give me the room I need for roof maintenance.

Alan's and American Steel Carports.

Pics of what I have. It sits front facing north. I put the south end on they wanted a extra $2,200 to do the end wall I did it myself for $600. Also you will want guy wire on each corner if you don't do end walls. There pretty wobbly at that height in the wind. I did guy wire temporarily until I did the south end wall. I measured from roof of rv at the peak to the bottom of the structure tube. On the wall side rv sits just over 3' from the wall I have 3' and the high side (middle of building)I have 4 1/2' clearance. Thought this might help with your decision on the side wall height. Planning on doing doors on the front this spring.

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 92
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 87
  • B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 77
Make sure it's tall enough so you can work on the roof if need be.
As long as you can kneel w/o banging your head is good enough.

tote said:
Make sure it's tall enough so you can work on the roof if need be.
As long as you can kneel w/o banging your head is good enough.

Why not just pull it of the shelter to work on the roof? The light will certainly be better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom