RV Throwback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw one of those at a VW show in Huntington Beach about a month ago. Not in that good of condition though.

Gotta be the slowest thing on the road... The VW van was pretty slow to begin with... Add the extra weight and aerodynamic..... And I thought my Suzuki Samurai was slow on the highway..
Butch

Gotta be the slowest thing on the road... The VW van was pretty slow to begin with... Add the extra weight and aerodynamic..... And I thought my Suzuki Samurai was slow on the highway..
Butch

In HS I had a 59 bus for a while. 25 raging horses. We would load our surfboards and head down to Ensenada. Mexico had no rules for 16-17 year old gringos.

We would be climbing I5 south through DelMar and the engine would literally seize up. We'd roll to the side, wait 15 minutes and hit the crank nut with a hammer to unseize it and it would fire up again and we'd chugga-chugga to the top.

In HS I had a 59 bus for a while. 25 raging horses. We would load our surfboards and head down to Ensenada. Mexico had no rules for 16-17 year old gringos.

We would be climbing I5 south through DelMar and the engine would literally seize up. We'd roll to the side, wait 15 minutes and hit the crank nut with a hammer to unseize it and it would fire up again and we'd chugga-chugga to the top.
Love those old buses... Only thing that saved them was the light weight... A brick with 25 horses ain't climbing a hill at 65mph... Pretty simple car to work on though.... And just a fun vehicle... I surf fish Huntington Beach and Bolsa Chica a lot, and they are still running all over there.....
.Butch

My 73 does pretty good. But the 62 camper bus I had back in the 60s was a bit sluggish. Had two problems, constantly blowing motors (you could pick up a rebuild in El Monte for $125, so not too bad) and fourth gear going out pulling hills. Loved that bus. Wish I still had it. They are going for about $125K around here these days.

Love those old buses
Butch
I sometimes miss my old VW Kombi van, complete with custom plywood fold down bed, 8 track stereo, carpet, etc. Also had a 1968 GTO convertible at one time. Looking at the prices for that car today in good condition, amazing. Some selling for tens of thousands of dollars.

Back then I gave serious thought about doing something similar, marrying a 13' Cardinal travel trailer to my VW bus. But minus the graphics.

1971 Cardinal.jpg

Last edited:
I love looking at some of these vintage trailers and contrasting with the monster rigs we drive today.

I remember back in the early late 60's an engineer friend of my dad's built one of the first pop-up tent trailers from scratch. Our family was still in army tents and cots and the Van Slooten's had this cool pop up.

He also had an IH Scout and we were in a Rambler station wagon.

It's been an evolution how we need more and more and more stuff from a house in order to go "camping"

My "Throwback RV".... My Dad bought a orange grove in Sarasota FL in the early 1950s, and he moved the family from SO Cal. to there in this and set it up in the orange grove where our family of 5 lived.... If you look at the overhead pic of the grove, you can see the trailer just off to the right of awning and "JUICE" sign... Last pic is my older brother, younger sister and I playing in front of the trailer...
dYD5Uo8.jpg

25JyXCg.jpg

Ouenlah.jpg

Butch

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back