RV Trip Wizard: How do you plan "Things to Do" for future campground stops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SRSnure

I'm curious to know how others plan "Things to Do" for future campground stops with RV Trip Wizard? I currently use RVTW to plan each campground stop. I then use the "Comment" field to enter the things we'll do while at that campground. I like to put this information in the trip as 1) I print out the entire trip as an itinerary guide for myself and others, and 2) it allows me to keep all information in one place. For example, when we stopped for several days at Twin Falls, ID, I entered the following in the Comment field:

- Shoshone Falls
- Snake River Canyon (Evil Knievel's jump sited)
- Perrine Bridge
- Blue lakes Country Club for views from inside the gorge
- Etc.

While this works, if for some reason I have to cancel our stay there and delete the campground, my Things to Do list also gets deleted. But, I would like to keep the to-dos for a future visit. I could create a new trip just for that location and mark it as a "tentative" trip. But this can be a bit cumbersome as every time I want to add a new to-do I'd have to load the trip for that location (even though it's for just a single stop), open the stop, enter and save the record, then reload the initial trip I was working on. Of course, one option would be to keep the Things to Do list in a separate source like MS Word, my iPhone's Notepad, etc. So, how do you handle this situation? Thanks!

..Steve

I use a spreadsheet to keep track of things to do at each stop - of course that means I'm maintaining 2 files: the RVTW trip and the spreadsheet...

I love RV Trip Wizard but use mostly just to plan our route and campgrounds. (Though what you describe would be a cool feature).

I use Microsoft OneNote to make notes for our trip (places to go, things to do, hikes, restaurants, etc). I usually make a separate "notebook" for each trip (though sometimes I combine multiple shorter trips into one "notebook"). I like it because it's easy to group things into different categories, different stops, etc. It's easy to paste information from the web (links, maps, etc). And it's easy to access from either my desktop computer (which is what I use to enter most of the data), my laptop, or my phone (the latter two of which I'm using when we're actually travelling). And it's easy to share with others when desired.

I also use an Excel spreadsheet and when I delete a location, I will stick it on a date in the future for "holding." You could do the same thing with any program that enables you to set up a table. I have columns for the date, which includes the day of the week, name of town or area where I will spend the night, miles to that location, name of campground, cost per night, campground notes, and attractions. Campground notes include the reservation number, site number, and things like type of hookups..

After I stay the night, I hide that row so the next one shows up on top. And I periodically check it so I know where I am supposed to be that week!!

I love RV Trip Wizard but use mostly just to plan our route and campgrounds. (Though what you describe would be a cool feature).

I use Microsoft OneNote to make notes for our trip (places to go, things to do, hikes, restaurants, etc). I usually make a separate "notebook" for each trip (though sometimes I combine multiple shorter trips into one "notebook"). I like it because it's easy to group things into different categories, different stops, etc. It's easy to paste information from the web (links, maps, etc). And it's easy to access from either my desktop computer (which is what I use to enter most of the data), my laptop, or my phone (the latter two of which I'm using when we're actually travelling). And it's easy to share with others when desired.
Like you, I use OneNote for many things and think it's an excellent platform. I do use it to store some future trip information but haven't gotten to the detail level that you have. One thing I did not mention in my original post is that whenever I discover a place I want to visit, I drop a pin on Google Maps and enter a note about that specific location. Then, when I plan a trip I look at the dropped pins and tend to "aim" for those areas with multiple pins. The upside is it's very visual. The downside is that Google Maps doesn't provide detail about each pin until I hover over it. Nor is there an ability to copy a list of the dropped pins for a specific area. It would be nice if RVTW had a similar feature that could be turned on/off. Until that time, OneNote may be the best option for what I want to accomplish. For example, I could create a new section for each state, then add pages under it for cities/towns/areas within that state, each of which could include details of things to do. Anyway, thanks for the reminder about using OneNote!

...Steve

I also use an Excel spreadsheet and when I delete a location, I will stick it on a date in the future for "holding." You could do the same thing with any program that enables you to set up a table. I have columns for the date, which includes the day of the week, name of town or area where I will spend the night, miles to that location, name of campground, cost per night, campground notes, and attractions. Campground notes include the reservation number, site number, and things like type of hookups..

After I stay the night, I hide that row so the next one shows up on top. And I periodically check it so I know where I am supposed to be that week!!

Hello Judy. Thanks for your reply. You seem to have a good plan for using Excel for your trip planning. When recording a campground stop in RV Trip Wizard the campground name is entered by default. I add something like, (c-pt #33, fhu) where "c" means I've confirmed the reservation, "pt" means the site is a pull-thru and of course "#33" is the site number if it has been assigned. "FHU" is full hookup". This way I can quickly see everything I need to know when I pull into the campground. I can see where I could use Excel to record information that I don't store in RVTW. What I'm really looking for is a means to store information that is not specific to a trip that I can copy/paste into a trip when I visit a particular area. For all other information, Excel could help. I'll do a bit of testing with it and a few other programs to see what works best for my situation.

...Steve

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom