RV Water Filter By Pass - "T"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

X-Roughneck Strike 3

I hear the Groans. I almost replied to a recent thread on this topic, but I decided to start another. Sorry. LOL.

I have super Hard Water. Lot's of Scale, minerals, just bad things in general.

I recently had a calcium Rock form in the bathroom sink aerator, under the screen where it had totally blocked the passage of all Water.

While performing on-site troubleshooting, I dropped this interior on board Water Filter (shown). It is located under the kitchen sink in its own cabinet.

We only use RV water for Hand Washing or Toilet Flushing. No showering, Definitely No Drinking.

Is this Filter a Total waste of Ca$h?

My inclination is it is not needed if I don't plan on drinking it.

I still think I may still try and add vinegar here soon where one would normally add the Pink Anti Freeze solution to water lines to faucets. It may just evaporate / bake out quick and may be worthless effort?

JD

Attachments

• 20210511_145639.jpg
    20210511_145639.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 5
That filter likely only filters water to the sink and possibly to a special "Drinking water" faucet.
Replacing it every few months is way cheaper than bottled water.
Nestles, Pepsi, Coke et-al do not sell water
They sell plastic bottles that take forever to break down when dumped in a land fill.
The water is often from a municipal water supply.. or Lake Michigan.

Reactions: SMR
That filter likely only filters water to the sink and possibly to a special "Drinking water" faucet.
Replacing it every few months is way cheaper than bottled water.
Nestles, Pepsi, Coke et-al do not sell water
They sell plastic bottles that take forever to break down when dumped in a land fill.
The water is often from a municipal water supply.. or Lake Michigan.
What he said! My coach has the drinking water faucet with one of those filters. I use water from that for drinking, making coffee and juice, and in my counter top ice maker. I've got a 40 oz vacuum flask that I fill with ice water every day instead of buying bottles. I normally change the filter about every 6 months.
Don't forget, the first time you run water through the filter, you'll get a lot of charcoal dust out of it. This will quit after a bit and is totally normal.

I just received my filters today. Two for $86.00 - free shipping. They do last for about 6 months. They are not cheap but they do the best job.

The primary benefit of a filter in an RV is to remove sand and other sediment particles from the water source, which is often the fresh tank (with God knows what floating in it) or a campground well. Finer filter may remove larger biologics and smaller particles, but at greater expense ($ and water flow volume). That helps keep the crud out of faucets, shower heads and and valves and that has some modest value.

Our coach was equipped with a "whole house" filter and we used a basic sediment filter cartridge in it. It was a reusable mesh type cartridge and I just took it out and rinsed it clean every so often. Frequency depended on where we were. Worked for us, but we aren't water worriers. Our internal systems are well-adapted to most any quality of water.

Detroit John I hear your words to a certain degree, but down here we have had some Petro chems measured at the consumer tap that made headlines about the same time as the Big TX winter Freeze in Feb. The Local Paul Ann Subdivision they have isolated and capped which is not far from the Hood where I reside. I am 100% sure the local folks in charge of the city of San Angelo were loving that power problems were dominating the National news cycle when our water comtaminations issues Hit alert mode in early Feb.

Most of these chems that were found and reported in the News a couple months back here, there is no "consumer" Filter readily available for Benzene, Toluene, Napthalene, plus a few more I forget right off the top of my memory. I Flat out don't trust the water here, or what they tell me is in it which is now all Clear, Good to Go! Wink. I am not losing sleep over any of this as we all have to pass away from something, but not wanting to enhance my chances either....

JD

The primary benefit of a filter in an RV is to remove sand and other sediment particles from the water source, which is often the fresh tank (with God knows what floating in it) or a campground well. Finer filter may remove larger biologics and smaller particles, but at greater expense ($ and water flow volume). That helps keep the crud out of faucets, shower heads and and valves and that has some modest value.

Our coach was equipped with a "whole house" filter and we used a basic sediment filter cartridge in it. It was a reusable mesh type cartridge and I just took it out and rinsed it clean every so often. Frequency depended on where we were. Worked for us, but we aren't water worriers. Our internal systems are well-adapted to most any quality of water.
Gary, I will just keep the Plastic T / Bypass in play at the under sink. Filter Removed. I am running the Blue CAMCO filter on the water hose input line outside, and that one filter will have to do with periodic exchanges.

When the initial water source is Chicken Shxt Quality, there is only so much improvement a person can hope for. My water tank will be full when I leave here, just in case of break down, and with this class C I am only talking 35 Gal.

Back
Top Bottom