?RV Wax?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nologo

I've had my RV for a little over a year now and I figure its time for a good waxing. (I have a 2005 35' Hurricane) I've been looking around and I'm not sure of what wax to use without causing myself more work that it needs to be as well as causing any future damage to the surface. I live in S. Florida......HOTT, so I don't want something that is hard to remove in the heat. Know what I mean? Any help would be great???

Click the Library above, select Maintenance items, then click on the article Maintaining the new look of your RV.

Nologo....  I use Dry Wash and Guard on my full body paint job.  It is easy to apply and also does a great job cleaning if you are in a campground where you are not allowed to use water and soap.  After using it for a year and a half I am convinced that it adds great protection.  I stopped using standard auto waxes.  Originally I thought it was expensive, but I learned that a very little bit goes a very long way.

In my opinion the easiest to apply is Protect-All and it is relatively inexpensive. Gives a nice shine and the finish sheds dirt for several months - just wash with water. Available in most Walmarts and Rv stores.

The more expensive Dri-wash N Guard is a superior cleaner and gives an excellent shine.  Not much more effort to use than Protect-All. It also sheds dirt and road grime well. Buy it from individuals, typically other Rvers, or on ebay.

I use both of these products on our motorhome and car. I use the Dri-wash where there is serious grime, bugs, tar, etc. and P-A elsewhere.  Wife uses Protect-All around the house and inside the motorhome as well - great for all metal, plastic and fiberglass surfaces in the kitchen and bath.

I currently have a comparative test running. Several months ago I applied DWG to one half of our coach and Turtle Wax (liquid) to the other half. Here's the topic if anyone is interested and wants to follow along.

I own three award winning vintage Ford Mustangs, and the only products that I use are Maguiars.

After a good polish and wax regimine

follow up monthly with their spray detailer

jb

Megueirs (sp?) products have always had a good reputation.

I have been using a Carnuba wax once each year on entire coach and usually redo the front evey two months or so if I have been cleaning a lot of bugs.  Other than that I use a "protectall product that I add to water and spray-on.  I have had the same two gallon bottle for several years and it apparently will outlast me.  I spray-on and wipe with damp cloth and then lightly buff with a waxing towel.  Takes me about two hours to wipe down the coach. 

I, too, am nearing the point of needing to wax.  I don't mind washing the rv, but I'm pretty intimidated about this waxing business.  I have a 38' KSDP.  I am 5' nothing so I'm in need of a good ladder. I can wash with both feet firmly planted on the ground using a long handle soft brush.  That's the good part.  My question:  Some of you have mentioned Protect-All.  What is that?  Is it a wash or a wax? (don't I sound stupid ???)  Is it a 1 step wash/wax?  And the dry wash product-is there wax in it?  Thanks, Kathy

We have used DriWash-n-Guard on all our vehicles since 1993 and have never found or used anything we liked better.  I usually do the Motorhome twice a year or less.  Still looks as good as it did when new.

Tom!

It is now 4 months since you ran your Turtle Wax vs. DWG test.  How about an update report on how each side looks and how well each product protected the finish!  ??

I have a three year old buick and I use Black Magic carnabra wax in liquid form. It goes on and you wait a few seconds and buff it off. They also make a liquid detailer wax that I use after a rain. I just hose the car off with plain water unless I am at the shore and the salt spray get onto it. I hope to get my chateau citation soon and will continue to use the same wax. I have heard that some other rvers have used this wax with very little effort and great results. My car looks brand new because of it. Black magic also make a tire shine that keeps my tires looking great. I have no interest in the company, just a desire to have a great looking shine with less work.

Long-time forum members will recall that ProtectAll offers a free sample of their wax product for RVs. You can click on the email link on their web site to request a sample.

Gordon,

Apologies, I've reported this in other discussions, but obviously didn't come back to close this loop. Suffice to say that all I use now is Turtle Wax once a year, and ZipWax or Blue Corral car wash in between.

I have always used NuFinish liquid polish. I apply it with a 6" buffer and remove with a microfibre cloth. Plain and simple with little effort. I use Blue Corral car wash when washing the RV.

I've used The Solution for a couple of years and really like it.  I'm not sure it takes the place of a really good wax, however.  When I do was, I use a good quality wax that I can apply with a mop and then use the same mop with a clean microfibre head to polish it.  I learned about that on this forum and it works for me.  SO much easier to do the roof that way.

Tom said:
Gordon,

Apologies, I've reported this in other discussions, but obviously didn't come back to close this loop. Suffice to say that all I use now is Turtle Wax once a year, and ZipWax or Blue Corral car wash in between.

Thanks, Tom!!  I'm going to have to wash and wax my rig sometime this spring and did a "search" to try to ID the "best" wax to use since I want to do this as effectively (and infrequently!) as possible.  This thread popped up in the search.  It was an Oldie, but Goodie!

Sounds like everyone has their own personal favorite. :)

Gordon

[quote author=Gordon Groff]Sounds like everyone has their own personal favorite. :)[/quote]

That's for sure Gordon. I do only what I need to do to maintain the finish, without unnecessary work. A painted surface is easy to maintain, unlike the unpainted gel coat on our boat (takes me 21 days to wax it with heavy carnuba paste wax). BTW we have a file in our library on maintaining the new look of your RV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom