RV WINTERIZING

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jen4344

HAS ANYONE SEEN SOMETHING LIKE A MAP SHOWING THE AREAS WHICH REQUIRE WINTERIZING OF AN RV?  I LIVE ON THE COAST IN SOUTH CAROLINA AND WANT TO KNOW IF MY AREA IS ONE THAT REQUIRES THIS YEARLY RITUAL.  THANKS, JOHN

Any place that will experience more than occasional days below freezing will require winterizing.  If you don't winterize and the temp drops to below freezing, it's a good idea to insure that all critical parts of the RV are heated.  This means any place with water; tanks, pipes, drains, water heater, etc.

I've lived in SC  off and on since 1972. The weather varies dramatically from year to year but it all ways seems there is at least one or two weeks of every year that winterizing is necessary i.e. the temperature persists at sub-freezing levels in even low country coastal area. That is the case this week. Upstate it all ways is requirement. The work is really minimum as is cost and I think it is well worth doing. Most vunerable is refrigeration valves and plumbing.

Thanks everybody.  I guess I'll have to winterize.  But wouldn't it be a great idea to have something like a temperate zone map for RVers showing the line below which winterizing is unnecessary?  Thanks again! John

Well... As someone else said in another thread the rule is "If temps drop below freezing you need to do something"

So, if you take a map of the United States.  Draw a line about 1/2 the way up Texas, across the country, and all above the line,  Winterize

Last Jan and Feb I went from Detroit (Above freezing) to Las Vegas (Above Freezing) to Arziona (Quartzsite, above freezing) to Las Vegas again (My daughter lives here, I"m in Vegas now) to Utah (Froze something) to Page AZ (cold enough to freeze) to Flagstaff to I-40 east to wherever I branched off to get back to Indy, Jackson, MI. and finally Detroit.  I froze hoses (outside) along I-40 a couple of nights.

In all this weather the MH was ok because it was heated and all my plumbing is heated (some better than others less I take additional measures but at 20 degrees, no additional measures needed)

So, I-40 is in the freeze zone,  I-10,,, Well, it idi not freeze where I parked on I-10 however last night in chat in another forum one of the SYSOPS who lives in New Orleans was telling me they have freeze warnings out,  It freezes in the state who's name means "Sea of Flowers" (At least at Disney World)

So, I'd say if you are in the US. or Canada, Winterize.  Mexico, optional

LATE - LATE REPLY.

How would a map work?  We live in Tucson, Arizona where you'd be right to expect mild winters, but last year we had three consecutive days at zero and near-zero temperatures - lost a lot of landscaping because of it - and that would have frozen an RV into a solid block.

Weather.  You can just never tell.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom