RV with small water damage on a side wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirk

I Guess i could replace it with it don't you think?
Possibly but it probably won't be as pliable as what was there. I wish that I knew what that was originally. I have used butyl tape around windows and roof penetrations many times but it works best where both surfaces are flat and rigid. You normally tighten the mounting screws until some butyl is squeezed out all along the entre edge of the window frame or whatever. Does the metal strip fold over both edges and snug up on both sides? If you know an RV tech you might show it to him to see if he knows what it might be.

picbois

Possibly but it probably won't be as pliable as what was there. I wish that I knew what that was originally. I have used butyl tape around windows and roof penetrations many times but it works best where both surfaces are flat and rigid. You normally tighten the mounting screws until some butyl is squeezed out all along the entre edge of the window frame or whatever. Does the metal strip fold over both edges and snug up on both sides? If you know an RV tech you might show it to him to see if he knows what it might be.
I will call at the factory tomorrow and will tell you.

picbois

Ok guys, I finalized the exterior during the weekend. I found that there was a little bit of delamination up of where I worked. It seems small (only near the edge) so since I had access from the exterior, I injected epoxy with a syringe to make the fiberglass glue to the wood again. I use a typical Syringe with a needle and it worked pretty well. I reattached the rails with longer screw that goes in the side stud that I made. I also changed the butyl tape for a new one. I redid most of my joint with proflex. The last step will be the interior finition but so far, I must say I'm pleased with the result! The final test will be when we'll hit the road.

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 3

Pedro Dog

Goof job, before you seal up the interior, get a water hose and spray around the window, the roof top, or any area you may suspect could be a source for a leak.

If you did not find the source before the repair, it may byte you again.

picbois

Goof job, before you seal up the interior, get a water hose and spray around the window, the roof top, or any area you may suspect could be a source for a leak.

If you did not find the source before the repair, it may byte you again.
Yes you are right, I will do that.

picbois

We had torrential rain yesterday and everything seems dry in the trailer. I will still do another test with the window. Would you guys wait a trip or two before finishing the inside?

I must really thank you all for the help and for all the suggestions. You were really encouraging as I was really discouraged when I started all this. I learned the existence of West system epoxy, which I now love and put it on my toast for breakfast!

If it holds the trip, I will be really proud! Thanks guys.

Ex-Calif

Fiberglass covers all kinds of sins and is relatively easy to work with. Just make sure you eat your toast before it sets up...

You did great. I personally would finish the job so as to not have to lay up again. Your rain + a hose is pretty convincing...

picbois

We did an extended trip and everything seem to hold up pretty well. I'm proud of what I did! Lets see if it hold long term but i'm pretty confident it will. Thanks to all of you really. Would not have been possible without your advices. Special thanks to Ex-calif, Pedro dog, Kirk and Gary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jensenmoving
Top Bottom