RV'ers Beware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Just a heads up. While my wife and I were traveling recently, we stopped for fuel at a Love's or some other big fuel and conveninece store. Since they had a sandwich shop and we were going to stop for the night, we thought we would grab a sandwich in order to make an easy meal for the night. We both walked in to place our order.

What I didn't realize, we were being watched even though the place was busy. We parked our RV away from the front of the store (aimed on the way out) where there weren't as many eyes that could see. I didn't catch it right away but the pull handle on our door was bent at the bottom and a slight tear in the handle there as well. I know it wasn't that way when we left home. There is no way this could have happened by any other means other than a pry bar or screwdriver. I had the dead bolt engaged or they might have gained entry. Think they were trying for a quick rummage around the RV and out again.

I remember a hiker with a backpack that was in the area but have no idea if that was our would be thief or not. I believe the dead bolt saves us and I hadn't secured items of value when we went inside the store. Best to all.

We NEVER both leave the RV at rest stops, fuel stops or any other stops unless we are in a campground or at home. If you need to communicate, cell phones are great for that. Chuck

Last month I left my pickup truck at the Las Vegas airport for a week and came back to find the driver's side door handle pried open in a similar manner. They cracked the plastic housing around the handle and key lock but were evidently scared off before they could get into the truck as nothing was missing or damaged inside.

We had a close call during a grocery stop last year .. up until this point we sometimes left our dogs unattended while we both shopped inside. I had a bad feeling and turned back to the RV while my wife shopped. A homeless (houseless?) person near the bottle return area made a beeline to our RV and the cracked window where our dogs were. I was able to chase him off - and we changed our practice so someone is always in the RV when we stop. We camp is nicer, safer areas but fuel and grocery stops are not as safe.

These stories reinforce my decision to install security cameras around the RV.

They would also help in the event of an accident when on the road.

With the large capacity battery bank, I will leave them on 24/7.

We NEVER both leave the RV at rest stops, fuel stops or any other stops unless we are in a campground or at home. If you need to communicate, cell phones are great for that. Chuck
This is a reasonable option and thinking back at it my parents would do that when we would go on trips as kids. My dad would also make sure he was parking where he'd be able to see the trailer from inside the restaurant we were stopping at.
However, it only works if you have a second person, us single folks just gotta roll with it and figure things out or put up some cameras or park where its visible, the latter being the easiest option.

Last month I left my pickup truck at the Las Vegas airport for a week and came back to find the driver's side door handle pried open in a similar manner. They cracked the plastic housing around the handle and key lock but were evidently scared off before they could get into the truck as nothing was missing or damaged inside.
saw this on YouTube this morning

Car thefts Las Vegas airport

I noticed the keys for my 2022 RV can be ordered on Amazon, all ready to go. They only have one cut for each of the two types of keys. I ordered a few, both for the side door and the other for the storage compartments, they all work as they came in the mail. No different keys cuts.

The same key probably fits many of the newer motorhomes.

No need to break in, just buy a couple of keys, they are cheap too.

-Don- Reno, NV

As Al said, the deadbolt is your best security for the interior. It is a specific key for YOUR lock, whereas the regular door key is actually quite common.

As Al said, the deadbolt is your best security for the interior. It is a specific key for YOUR lock, whereas the regular door key is actually quite common.
With my 2022 RV, it's not a true dead bolt and it uses the exact same key.

To change it, AFAIK, I would have to make a big modification.

-Don- Reno, NV

Sad direction the world seems headed. Also, when you get fuel, even with your car, get out, and lock the doors. Many purse thefts etc are happening right in broad daylight, and unfortunately, the slugs doing it prey on the ladies and elderly especially. I certainly would report it to that Loves stop, might help their awareness for the future patrons. The great news, no one was hurt.

Why? Why do people have to be so opportunistic? Neither our dog nor kitty are very scary looking (though the dog might bite!), and we usually only have one of us gone at a time on gas stops, but still we will certainly up our game for security when on the road. Let's hope the "grab and go" folks stay away from the campgrounds. Sure there are some, but oddly it isn't (hasn't been) a big problem. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

What do you have now? Your sig.says a 2000 Tioga.
How did you miss the "and 2022 Entegra Vision 27A, 7.3L" ???

See here.

It's also in my Avatar. Click on it a few times so you can see the entire thing. That photo was taken by @SeilerBird at St. Cloud, FL. My first trip in it was this time last year to the Everglades and other places in Florida. Mostly Florida, but I made many other long stops in other states, ended up being almost a 3-month trip.

Yeah, I now own two motorhomes. I decided to keep my old Y2K RV and still use it about as much. I will probably take it on my next trip in a couple of weeks.

-Don- Reno, NV

"travel centers" as they are now called are a beacon for really crappy people.
Having been in the trucking industry for 30 years, I tell people to either avoid the places, or get in and out as fast as you can.
When I do have to stop in them, It is to get gas and GTFO as fast as I can.
I will say not all of them are bad, just the ones around larger cities.
The ones in the middle of nowhere, are pretty good to go

Back
Top Bottom