RVers Leaving Home Check List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

Have seen several RV check lists over the years but have not seen the equaly important one; RVers Leaving Home Check List.

Don't have one .... yet, but it would include:

1. stop the papers
2. chk the bills ... how to cover them
3. turn the heat/AC down
4. turn water heater down
5. turn the water off (had friend who came home after 2 weeks to find his water heater failed and water spraying all over basement and up-stairs wood floors for who knows how long.
6. who will cut the lawn or remove the snow so home looks lived in.
7.  etc.

Have a list???

Don't have a list Len, but this topic could create one. My additions:

• Stopping or forwarding mail.
  • Forwading phones.

George Mullen provided an awesomely complete (like everything George does) clecklist.  I couldn't find it with the search.

What happened to our librarys?

Joel

Many of our files, checklists, articles, etc are housed in our library. Click the Library button above, select Checklists and click on the one you wish to read.

I recall seeing George's checklist that you referred to. I'll go look to see if I have it on my hard drive and I'll get it uploaded.

Edit: OK, George's checklist is in the library.

Here's some additional things from our list (some items may not apply to everyone).  This is for when we close up our home base for 5-6 months.

Set a/c thermostat to special "away" program.

All doors & windows locked. Garden shed & workshop  too

TV/stereo/computer unplugged (lightning/surge protection)

Store BBQ grill and patio furniture

Take down the flag

Cable TV/internet & phone switched to "vacation" billing plans

Mail forwarding activated

Make sure laptop computer is synched with home computer. Back-up disks up to date.

Make sure paper records file is up to date and move to RV

All cameras & computer gear transferred to RV

Refrigerators shut down and cleaned.

Here's a technique that works for us... 
Like anyone with two homes, items that normally reside in one seem to find their way from one to the other over time and need to "go back" where they belong.  Maybe a particular cooking utensil or item of clothing gets borrowed from the RV.  About 3-4 weeks before the planned departure, we place a box in a convenient place and call it the "To Go Box".  Then whenever we use something or think of something we realize should go with us, we place it in the box immediately rather than trying to remember it or making a list. Our motorhome is parked adjacent to the house, so whenever one of us goes out to the MH, we carry out items from the To Go box.  Lots of little things that might easily be forgotten get transferred to the MH that way.

About the home reefer(s), I have been told not to turn them off. I see where Gary has them in his checklist to turn off. What's the deal? Off or leave on?

Thanks for your thoughts.  I have just "dumped" all thoughts together below.  Will continue to add if more people respond.  When all input is received I will word smith the list into some kind of order.

What is cable vacation plan.....sounds like it saves $.  Wonder if WOW has it?
"To Go Box" is excellent idea.  We have simular problem.

1. stop the papers
2. chk the bills ... how to cover them
3. turn the heat/AC down
4. turn water heater down
5. turn the water off
6. Yard card - who will cut the lawn or remove the snow so home looks lived in.
7. Set a/c thermostat to special "away" program.
8. All doors & windows locked. Garden shed & workshop  too
9. TV/stereo/computer unplugged (lightning/surge protection)
10. Store yard furnature - Store BBQ grill and patio furniture
11. Take down the flag
12. Cable TV/internet & phone switched to "vacation" billing plans
13. Mail forwarding activated
14. Make sure laptop computer is synched with home computer. Back-up disks up to date.
15. Make sure paper records file is up to date and move to RV
16. All cameras & computer gear transferred to RV
17. Refrigerators shut down, cleaned and door left adjar.
    * Stopping or forwarding mail.
    * Forwading phones.
20.  "To Go Box": 3-4 weeks before the planned departure, we place a box in a convenient place for home to RV misc. stuff

Da...Oh ya....shaire with kids/family/friends trip plans with approximate dates you will be where.  Even in this cell phone age this is important.

Also make sure neighbor has telephone number (and maybe house key) of responsible family member incase of who knows what.

Winter....low house tempurature warning light and have neighbor know what it means if light comes on.

One time we stopped the newspapers but the newspaper company didn't.  We have a very nice mail person who moved them to the side so they would not be seen.  We make sure she always gets a vacation gift.

After the refrig is turned off and cleaned, prop the door open so it will air out all summer or winter as appropriate. Same for freezer.

Wayne

I also have my neighor across the street look over to see if there are any (non-USPS) parcels or flyers on our doorstep.

Living in CA, I like to turn the water heater & pilot off. Too easy for a gas line to be ruptured in an earthquake.

Living in CA, I like to turn the water heater & pilot off. Too easy for a gas line to be ruptured in an earthquake

Not enough.  If your house lines are still containing gas under pressure, a quake could ruputure them and then with be a short time before a spark set off a fire.

In earthquake country you want to shut the gas off at the meter.  Better yet is to have the gas co. install an automatic seismic shut off valve at the meter.  Cost me a bit less than $100 for the valve and the installation.

Carl Lundquist said:
Not enough.

Maybe not Carl, but a lot better than leaving the pilot lit, which is what I inadvertently did when we recently left for Moab. I was on the phone to a neighbor to go turn it off, which he did in addition to turning off the gas valve prior to the hot water tank.

Wasn't aware that the utility company could  install an automatic seismic shut off valve at the meter. Sounds like something that's well worth the money. I'll call them.

Tom said:
Carl Lundquist said:
Not enough.

Wasn't aware that the utility company could? install an automatic seismic shut off valve at the meter. Sounds like something that's well worth the money. I'll call them.

You will probably have to buy the valve at a HVAC dealer like Howard Industries where I got mine.  The gas co. should tell you where and what specs to use.  I am surprised that the utility in the Bay Area has not publicized those valves.    But then you have PG&E, right?

I would think it depends on how long you will be gone, if it has a pilot and how easy it is to light.  For "long" periods though I think off would be better.

Bruce,
I'm curious about the source that told you not to turn the fridge off.  Was that something heard around a campfire or some quasi-official source?  I've never heard that even suggested before. 

Obviously you don't have to turn off the fridge, but why run it for several months if not needed? A Fridge is a fairly hefty energy consumer, though energy use is smaller when the door remains closed all the time.    But if only going away for a short timek, the savings would be small and the effort large, so it's not worth it.

RV Roamer said:
Bruce,
I'm curious about the source that told you not to turn the fridge off.? Was that something heard around a campfire or some quasi-official source?? I've never heard that even suggested before.?

Obviously you don't have to turn off the fridge, but why run it for several months if not needed? A Fridge is a fairly hefty energy consumer, though energy use is smaller when the door remains closed all the time.? ? ?But if only going away for a short timek, the savings would be small and the effort large, so it's not worth it.

My neighbor went to NC for 4 months. She said "they" (refrig people) told her to leave it on with the icemaker turned off. (Or was FP&L? <g>)

How about an electric water heater. Of course turn it off, but should it also be drained or can I leave water in it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom