RVer's tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carl L

Moderator Emeritus
Merry said:
Quick questions - what kind of hand tools should an RVer keep handy?

1.  A ratcheting screwdriver set, the ones that have various bit types including square bits.

2.  An ordinary largish screw driver about a #1.

3.  A pair of 13" channel lock pliers with curved jaws.  This is the universal hose and plumbing fitting tool.

4.  A pair of needle nosed pliers and a pair of wire cutters.

5.  A 6 inch and a 12 inch adjustable crescent wrench.

6.  A 120V circuit tester:  the kind that shows wiring problems by the mean of three LEDs.  A small digital multimeter is handy also. 

7.  A pair of leather gloves for handling steel.  A pair of long cuffed industrial plastic coated gloves for handling sewage issues.   

8.  A small Maglite flashlite -- the kind you can hold in your mouth while fiddling with something.  A big 3 or 4 cell Maglite for highway and wayfinding in the dark. 

9.  A Johnny Cock ?, a small plastic sleeve gizmo that fits into the throat of your RV toilet to hold the valve open for flushing and tank filling.  Find it at an RV supply house like Camping World.

10.  About 25 feet of cheap light garden house for sanitary purposes.  Never use your white drinking water hose for this.

11.  A supply of hose washers.  Electric tape.  Teflon pipe tape.

12.    A tire pressure gauge. 

13.    Whatever it takes to change a tire -- even if it is a cell phone and the number of the AAA or other road assistance service.

14.  A 2 gallon plastic bucket to hold your sewer hose gear.  A gallon of plain chlorine bleach for cleaning up sewer accidents, sanitizing water tanks, and, oh yes, bleaching laundry.

Trailer RVers will accumulate a different set of other tools than a motorhomer or a vanner.  I have not mention those more specialized needs.  And of course lists like this are a subject to much argument and
expansion.  ;)

Carl Lundquist said:
Trailer RVers will accumulate a different set of other tools than a motorhomer or a vanner.  I have not mention those more specialized needs.  And of course lists like this are a subject to much argument and
expansion.  ;)

Hi Carl,

I just came across this again - I'm amazed that there was no response.

You list is close to mine - a couple of three things on your list I plan to add to my tool kit.

Some additional things I find useful:

- Electric Drill/Screwdriver with 1/4 allen wrench to raise lower to rear stabilizers is used twice in every campground.

- Some drill bits

- The rest of that allen wrench set

- WD40 and Spray Silicon plus a can of lithium grease

- I carry a 1/4" drive socket set for little nuts

- A 12 volt tester light - looks like an ice pick with a clip lead - clip the clip to ground, touch a 12 volt terminal and if it lights, there's 12 volts there (explaination for others benefit, I know you know).  That's sometimes easily than a multimeter.

Some other stuff that I don't actually remember ever using.  The above I've used.

And of course Livingston and a 5 x 3 card (couldn't find any 3 x 5s) with the battery voltage - % charge info.

Any I carry my air compressor. I've never used it on the road but I use it at home before every trip and then throw it in the truck.

Joel

Any I carry my air compressor. I've never used it on the road but I use it at home before every trip and then throw it in the truck.

LIkewise.  I have gone thru about 4 compressors: 3 cheap 12vdc units and 1 cheap 120vac unit.  Finally I got mad and bought a $300 offroading 12vdc unit and am now happy.  The unit is usable anywere either from truck batter or trailer batteries.  It has enough power to inflate a 31x10.5x15R-LT BFG T/A KO gumball in less than all day.  It sits in a 12x18x4 steel package and has decent hoses and fittings.  See the Maxair 4.0 portable unit on the site HERE

Thanks for the air compressor tip. I was about to buy a 110v Sears tankless unit. This one [although a lot more $] sure out performs the Sears unit !

Jack.

The Max 12V pumps look great, but my 110V Sears tankless is also a good performer.  It will inflate to 105 psi in short order (it's rated for 110 psi, but has to work hard to get that last 5 lbs!). Sears has changed suppliers on this pump since I bought mine in 2001 and I have heard the new version is less capable. Haven't had an opportunity to try one myself, though.

Sears tankless pumps like mine have an inline variable pressure controller to allow you to set the pressure for inflating tires. The mechanism is of medicore quality and I have seen more than one of them leak sufficiently to make it impossible to inflate to the compressors max capability.  Some people have removed the pressure controller (it's just clamped inline in the hose) to solve the leak problem.  Mine is OK, but I just leave it set on max and use a good quality tire gauge to check pressure (which I would do anyway).

Gary....Now you are making my decision a little harder ! The Sears unit is a lot less $ but I do need for it to be able to make the 85psi my tires require. I like the idea of a 110v unit as well. Plus it is smaller to store.

Jack.

The Max 12V pumps look great, but my 110V Sears tankless is also a good performer.  It will inflate to 105 psi in short order (it's rated for 110 psi, but has to work hard to get that last 5 lbs!). Sears has changed suppliers on this pump since I bought mine in 2001 and I have heard the new version is less capable. Haven't had an opportunity to try one myself, though.

I have one in my collection of inflators.  It works better than the 12VDC units by far, but not all that great, and it doed require access to 120VDC.  You motorhomers have no problems with that what with your generators.  However, my Bronco and my TT depend on batteries away from home or RV parks with electrical service.  The Max takes care of the other situations (ie most of the time) nicely.  So nicely that my 120 VAC unit collects dust.  The fittings are a lot better too. Simpler more rugged machine.  Nothing automatic about it to go wrong or leak.

Carl,

I have seen something similar to what you are talking about, if not the exact one.  I think a Moab when all the jeep bubba's came in.  Nice, but $300 like you said.

My Sears 12VDC was OK if you didn't mind waiting for the second coming but it died after about a year.

I got the Home Depot $99 dollar version with a tank.  Works fine, fits in my toolbox along with the generator. Problem solved.

Joel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom