RVing - 1950's Style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
We are overnigting at Enchanted Trails in Albuquerque and here is this gorgeous vintage rig parked out front of the office. Probably on display as an ad for the Abq restoration shop that did it, but still a great sight.

It's a 1950 Hudson Commodore (in line 6 cylinder) with a 50's vintage Va-Ka-Shun-Ette trailer made by an outfit in Elkhardt, IN. Pics below.

Attachments

• 1950-style-RVing(Small).JPG
    1950-style-RVing(Small).JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 1950Hudson-Commodore-6(Small).JPG
    1950Hudson-Commodore-6(Small).JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Va-Ka-Shun-Ette (Small).JPG
    Va-Ka-Shun-Ette (Small).JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 59
That's definitely a wonderful rig and great restoration job Gary.

RV Roamer said:
It's a 1950 Hudson Commodore (in line 6 cylinder) with a 50's vintage Va-Ka-Shun-Ette trailer made by an outfit in Elkhardt, IN. Pics below.

Gary

What's the difference between the Commodore and the Hornet? I used to drool over the Hornet when I was a teenager and the one in the picture looks just like the Hornet. The Hornet was a major player in stock car races back then.

Dunno, Bernie. First I heard of it was when I read the nameplate on the side.  It sure looks just like the Hornets I remember from my youth!  Maybe just a different level of trim inside?

Not certain, but think the Hornet had the smaller engine, while the Commardore offered a Master drive. simular to semi-automatic or vaccum drive, where you could shift without using the clutch.  Been too many years ago since the famioy had one of those great ole vehicles.

Fantastic job on both car and trailer...

Now what would be REALLY neat, would be to see someone actually using it.  Imagine being in a campground and seeing that rig roll up, unhook, set up, and actually be used for what it was built for.

Would be some interesting conversations around the campfire.

Shayne,

I think you're right. The Hornet came with a 304 c.i. in-line 6, and the Commodore had an in-line 6 (probably the same one) with an optional in-line 8. It was the Hornet with a factory upgraded 6 that was the favorite for racing. 

Back
Top Bottom