RVing is not for everyone... Or is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha, I hear ya, but at least you'd survive the water landing when ditching the Stearman in the ocean after running out of fuel...

Hey, I dug up a video which shows the exact same biplane, I sat in the forward cockpit with a friend while Addison flew the plane. Guy's the best natural born pilot I ever met, I never felt safer in the air.

Biplane video

For those into such vintage aircraft, you can Google "Pemberton & Sons Aviation videos" and see a bunch of video clips of old aircraft... they're pretty cool, and the family does a fantastic job of restoring these aircraft.

Okay, that's enough thread-jacking for one day, gotta get cleaned up anyway and make a store run... the story behind the Boeing 40C restoration is truly amazing, it was nothing but twisted wreckage when they started, lol.

Last edited:
Mini hyjack time:)
For you guys that"s air jockeys and like old planes, there is a retired AIr Canada pilot, Dave Hatfield, that has a hobby of test running some restored planes from the past. This includes Bi Planes too. His Father still flies at the age of 86 and does it from a corn field. Dave's brother was Chris Hatfield, a space station member.
86 years old dad

Fox Moth

Cockpit video, and narration, of flying the rare 1932 de Havilland-83 Fox Moth, with Dave Hadfield. WWW.HADFIELD.CA It's the only flying Fox Moth in North America. First owned by The Prince Of Wales, this aircraft flew to the Belgian Congo in 1934, then worked
Spitfire

Nice... that'll give me something to watch later. I bet that guy has crossed paths with Addison at air shows and whatnot. The old biplane I flew in as a passenger used to land on farm roads and stuff, tossing out a sack of mail and taking another aboard... those pilots were skilled back in the day.

Here's one last video, I always wanted to ride in one of these, but alas, it never happened. I've flown in quite a few military aircraft, but never the F-18, more's the pity. Be sure to stick around for the second half of this video, the part with the "Bullet Train" soundtrack, there are some cool clips there, lol.

That 'Wingnut' is one radical pilot, I like that clip where he comes in over the dam, going like the Hammers of Hell, lol... that's just the sorta thing I'd like to do in an F-18. Those cliff-scraping shots are pretty wild too, lol... crazy fool pilots!!! All the ones I ever met were pretty cool though...

ENJOY THE VIDEO... CHEERS!!!

2014 Hornet Ball Video

problem is like with anything. If you go into something with little or no experience and think this going to be a piece of cake, about 99% probability it will be anything but. RV'ing is NOT for everyone just like home ownership is not for anyone or having a dog or cat is not for everyone.

Airplanes are the new greyhound busses, and I have to investigate even quality hotels for bed bugs. Yup, RVing all the way for us.
When I was traveling for business, I'd stay at Motel 6 whenever I could, even though my employer was covering the bill. Most hotels have carpets that trap all sorts of things and conventional beds and dressers that provide hiding spaces for bedbugs, etc. Motel 6 redesigned their rooms about 10 years ago with hard floors and minimalist furnishings that make them much easier to keep truely clean.

I think it can also be a stage of life thing.
This.
I was an active private pilot for 20 years. Loved flying. Loved the people I met. Loved working on my plane. Loved what it enabled our family to do. Loved everything I had to learn to do it. The price was well worth it.
Then the situation changed. I could live closer to the places I liked to go. The kids grew up. The price wasn't so worth it any more.
Some years later we bought the trailer. Over the next ten years we spent three of them traveling the country. Loved the places we visited and people we met. Loved the camping experience. Loved everything I had to learn to do it. The price was well worth it.
But eventually the camping experience got less enjoyable. Camping hadn't changed, but we had. The crowded campgrounds, the frequent repairs, the drudgery of making and breaking camp. The price of RVing wasn't so worth it any more. I'm ready to sell the trailer now.
We'll be traveling domestically by car and a combination of hotels and rentals now, and travelling internationally more as well.
How long will that last and what comes after? Who knows?

In a way, that's sad... I can't imagine life without camping, but then I've spent decades in the field and I have it down to a science. My friends & I were technical rock climbers & dirt bikers, so we gravitated toward remote areas on BLM land where nobody else was around. I quit frequenting developed campgrounds a long time ago... it was like leaving the city just to join some crowded makeshift city in the wilderness. Too many rules & regs for our tastes, we liked more freedom, ya know?

If and when I flip this home of mine and buy an RV, I intend to boondock much of the time in free primitive sites, or flat-out go remote on BLM land, using the RV as a self-contained unit, but not necessarily filling the black water tank.

I dunno, I guess it all boils down to how much one loves the wilderness... I think of remote camping or boondocking as a way to hang out with wildlife, enjoy the elements, and chill out under a million stars. Every time I look up at the night sky over mountains or high desert, I tell myself I'm a prize-winning idiot for NOT looking at those stars more often, aye? Sure beats the view from the Big City, that's for goddam sure. Reminds me of going into L.A. from Cajon Pass, with that BLACK layer of smog ahead... "HAAACK!!!"

Ugh... I reckon I'm willing to go to the trouble of setting up camp in the wilderness, knowing that I'll be breathing fresh air, checking out wildlife, seeing a million stars overhead every night, kicking it by a campfire and enjoying good meals, the whole nine yards. Hell, when I camped for six weeks in coastal WA (Grayland State Beach for 10 days, the remainder at Bruceport), I had a cord of firewood delivered per week in that final month... glamping hard and pounding craft beers while burning steaks, lol.

It was crazy, but I had a little 'Hooverville' of tents and canopies set up in my site, which was down a dirt spur road from the main circle or ring of campsites. Total privacy under 300' Sitka Spruce trees, with a view of Willapa Bay & the Pacific Ocean during the day. Worth every penny of the money I paid in that venue, a good memory which will last a lifetime... and my head is full of such memories. Yeah, I've slowed down a bit due to age, but I don't see myself ever quitting camping, too much freedom out there.

Anyway, that's my $.02 on the subject, but mine might be a special case, since I spent SO much time in the wilderness when I was a younger man. Granted, I don't do all the hiking that I used to do, but I still go for walks in the wilderness... and though my days of hard climbing are definitely done, I recently scrambled all over some outcrops and crags at the Stronghold. Well, a few months ago, before I had an unexpected & unrelated foot injury. But that seems to have healed, so perhaps I can get back out there soon.

During my travels as an OTR truck driver, I once met a good-looking older woman in an elevator in some skyscraper (can't remember which building), and we shared a brief conversation in which I told her about some recent truck camping adventure. She told me that her idea of "roughing it" was "going without reservations." I thought that was pretty funny, but we still got along alright... to each his own, or her own, as the case may be. No worries, I'll still spend my nights in the field whenever I can.

Doesn't mean I wanna live out there forever, but if I buy an RV, I intend to take a long break and camp out in the wilderness for weeks on end... there are places right here by the Stronghold where a hand can camp for free, same goes for the White Mountains. I'm thinking some solar power might be in order, just to keep me from making ice runs... once that hurdle is cleared, life in the field will be gravy, lol. And I'm used to decades of tent camping, RV camping will be even easier, 10-4? At least for this kid.

Like truck camping... pull up and set the parking brakes, and Base Camp is established. Hell, I'm used to sailing a friggin' Laser to Los Coronados, wildlife sanctuaries off the northern end of Baja, and bringing everything I need to have a blast in that uncrowded natural paradise! By uncrowded, I'm talking about being the ONLY human on the island... whichever island that happened to be, with the exception of Isla Sur, where 'La Armada de Mexico' maintains a small barrack with troops.

Enough said, I guess it all boils down to commitment... is it worth it to go to all the trouble to get oneself situated in such wilderness venues? For me, the answer is a resounding "YES!!!" And sometimes, in those heller wilderness venues, ya meet some pretty cool people... folks with similar attitudes toward crowded developed campgrounds, lol. I like that fringe element, since I'm used to "dirtbagging it" as a technical rock climber. Ya get some pretty funny observations upon life from folks like that, lol...

ALRIGHT, I'D BETTER POST THIS UP BEFORE IT GETS ANY LONGER, LOL... BUT I LIKE CAMPING!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Loose Nut,
Glad you've found an environment that's remained attractive to you, but don't feel sad for me. The Good Life for me includes occasional changes in direction (although I've managed to hold on to the same spouse for 45 years - the only thing I'm not interested in changing. <g>) For me, the changes have been opportunities to broaden my experience. I don't regret having done any of the things I've left behind, and while i have no desire to go back, I'd certainly take them up again if the circumstances warrant.
So, my experiences and choices might be regretful for you, and yours would be regretful for me. I think we can agree on that.

For the time being we are completely off grid on our property in Virginia. Dip water from the spring, bathe in the creek, poop in a plastic bag which goes in the burn barrel. We were cooking over the campfire but I broke down and bought a gas grill. We do have solar for our little 17’ TT; keeps the battery charged and the fridge running on gas. Our son lives in a converted U-Haul truck. We have chickens that are now laying enough eggs for us with more on the way along with 25 guinnie hens. A pig is on the way.

PopPop51, congrats for being loyal to your spouse, long-lasting marriages seem to be going the way of the dinosaur... and I'm not being judgmental in the least, as adults we all make choices. I copy the part about letting go, I've done the same with certain activities. 3-D archery, for example, my friends & I were big on that and spent a number of years participating in the sport... then some folks moved away, while a good friend died an untimely (and unrelated) death, and I lost interest in the sport. Seemed I couldn't go shoot my bow without dwelling on my dead friend... so one day I sold my bow and I haven't looked back. In a survival situation, I might pick up a bow again, but otherwise, I just want to remember the good times, ya know?

Another example would be going to places where I once had fun with gals I used to know... I never got married, but I was shacked up a few times, and I must say that going back to a place where you once knew great happiness can be a real bummer. I'd just as soon write the place off for good and find other places to hang out... in a sense, moving on and continuing my journey through life. Again, I'd prefer to simply remember the good times, and put everything else behind me. Meh, at least I have a couple good friends, and some family members who still talk to me... I'm always open to new friendships, but as I grow older I sometimes find it difficult to relate to others who are all caught up with modern devices & whatnot. Honestly, I find it hard to keep up with modern technology.

So in some ways I fell through the cracks, too much on my plate at certain times in my life... and not all of it good. But I've ridden high too, and enjoyed some great outdoor adventures. Sailing to the islands, sailing the length of the Salton Sea, things like that which aren't commonly done... I'm glad to have done those things, they were truly inspirational. All those trucking adventures were cool too, though I have no plans to go OTR again, I'd sooner settle down in one location. Problem is, I lost a good gubmint job last year for all the wrong reasons, and I've had the devil of a time getting my life back on track... I own my home free & clear, but I'm not retired, and the future is uncertain. All I can do is try my best, and hopefully turn things around, yeah?

What I need to do is meet a good woman, one who has her act together better than I do, lol. And I won't complain if she comes from money... no false pride here, lol. I'd be tickled to death to find some gal who likes dirt biking, offroading, wilderness adventures, shooting pool, etc., but it's a tall order nowadays. I'd even do the cooking & cleaning, I've been cooking since I was 10 years old, and as an ex-Infantry soldier I'm not big on sloth, I keep my home clean and don't live like a friggin' slob. One look at my avatar is proof, lol. Same goes for trucking, boating, and other activities... I run a tight ship and keep things squared away whenever possible, life is easier that way, lol. Anyway, I remain optimistic, as the world can change in a big ol' hurry... and I'm still above ground, aye? That'll do for starters, lol... Cheers!!!

Back
Top Bottom