RVing with pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Do you take your pet along on your RV trips, or do you make arrangements for someone to take care of your pet while you're on the road?

What is the ideal pet companion for an RVer? Any size restrictions? Do you need proof of shots when entering state parks or crossing international borders? Have you come across parks/campgrounds that do not allow pets?

Do you leave your pet alone in the RV for any extended period of time? What precautions do you take to ensure the well being of your pet while you're away from the RV?

We both like dogs but decided not to have any pets while traveling. Hmmm oh I forgot about Bert ;D Bert doesn't require much attending to.  However, I kind of adopt other Framily dogs.  We carry dog biscuts that with the owners permission we give to dogs.  Just watch Ron and Shirelys Suger and Spice.  They never forget me. ;D ;D

In eight years we have only been asked for proof of shots once, maybe twice.  When we crossed into Ontario a couple of years ago we were not asked for Sasha's papers, also when we returned to the US.  We leave her in the coach even when we are gone most of the day and she has never been a problem not even with barking.  We have asked our neighbors about the barking when we are away.  We either leave a window or two open or put the air conditioning on.  Of course, we stay away from parks that don't allow pets and have found some that allow pets even when Trailer Life said they didn't.  There have been very few times when having a pet with us has been a problem.

I have a 130 lb Golden Retriever named Geordy whom I have taken on a few camping trips in a pop-up camper. He is well-behaved and I have not had any major problems. For camping areas that require pets to be on a leash, I have one of those screw-in stakes with a 35' cord on it which allows him some movement while I take care of setting up camp, etc. While we are on the road, I make frequent stops both for him and for me -- I will set up a lounge chair in a rest stop area, and stake Geordy out while I take a short nap. I have recently acquired a travel trailer and plan to spend most of the summer traveling with my pooch. I don't think that things will seem much different to Geordy -- he seems pretty easy to please.

Attached is a picture of Geordy as we were camping along the Colorado River, just north and east of Moab a couple of years ago.

Don

Attachments

• MoabCamp.jpg
    MoabCamp.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 110
For many, pets are good companions, and for others they're a great comfort. Our last dog went everywhere with us. We reluctantly had to have her put to sleep a few years agowhen she was diagnosed with cancer in a very late stage. That was a very emotional experience, and brought home how close we'd been. We haven't made the decision to have another, but reading others' experiences with pets is helpful.

I should have added to my previous post that Geordy makes a good traveling companion. In areas where it is allowed, he comes with me without a leash, he stays pretty close, and it is fun to watch him explore with his nose -- sometimes it seems that there are some very interesting scents out there, at least from a dog's point of view.

He prefers to be outdoors, so when I am in the camper during the day, he stays outside. In the evening, of course, he comes inside to spend the night. About three years ago I had a break in November and we went camping in northwestern Illinois in a pop-up tent camper with no heat. The weather had been pretty mild for late fall, but the first night we were out, the temps dropped down to the lower 20's. I got Geordy up into the bunk with me, and with a light blanket, we were toasty warm and slept comfortably. Another perk for the pet owner, when you are ruffin' it, so to speak.

He likes to ride in the truck, but won't eat or sleep while we are on the road. He's always got his head out the window making sure I stay between the lines, I guess. Even though he is a big dog, Geordy is no trouble and I take him with me whenever I go camping. He will be with me this summer.

Tom,

In total we have 5 animals to provide for:  3 horses and 2 cats.  We travel with 2 cats without any trouble at all.  However, the first day they are a little queezy.  Although we have "boondocked" on several occasions, during the summer heat we make sure we are at a spot with hook-ups so we can keep the A/C on for them.  We are finding that even though the cats don't go out of the motorhome, we are still put in the 'Pets' section of RV parks.

Just last week we worked out a "win-win" situation for the horses.  It was costing us quite a lot of money for a petcare person to come to feed and clean up after the horses twice a day while we were gone.  I've now taken in a boarder who is keeping her horse here free of charge; but is responsible for taking care of our horses while we are away.  So far it is working our very well.

Marsha~

Marsha

Thanks for info on the cats. Sounds like they are trouble-free companions. Good point re needing hookups to provide a/c. Hopefully all pet owners consider this issue if/when they leave their pet(s) alone in their RV.

I can imagine it would be a tight squeeze getting the horses in the coach though  :) Just kidding, and I know you tow the horse trailer behind the coach. Great idea having the boarder with responsibility for your horses when you're gone.

Do you take your pet along on your RV trips, or do you make arrangements for someone to take care of your pet while you're on the road?

We choose not to travel with pets.? I am actually afraid of large dogs so I appreciate those who adhere to leash laws.? On our recent trip to Mexico we traveled with folks who had a large dog they let run loose on the beach to do his business.? They let their dog sniff the food dishes at our pot lucks and happy hours,? they took their dog into restaurants? and on public busses during our tours. They let their dog jump on me in a greeting (though they did not know how much I disliked this attention.)? ?I am glad that our forum "Framily" has an agreement that dogs are not allowed at food events and that forum members are considerate of others with regards to their dogs.

Betty Brewer

We have a Shih Tsu (12) blind in 1 eye, and the best of pets.  NO shedding a extremely quiet, small pooch. Love her to death and if she can't go  then I don't go.  Not the same with the DW.  Maybe it's just me and the dog that goes, or stays. The coach with her special balnket is her domain, except at nite it's the middle of the bed to protect me. HE HE and she does a superb job.

Well Tom:

Most of the framily that attends our rallies know my two girls (Sugar & Spice) so there is not much to be said about them.  They are not the most social animals when it comes to other dogs, but they love people.  Sugar is the most friendly and has never seen anyone she didn't want attention from.  Spice is a little more shy.

The girls always travel with us, no matter where we go.  They travel well and are never a problem left in the coach, even 8 to 10 hours.  Sugar learned when she was a pup to not drink water while we were away.  She taught that to Spice, so we never have any problems.

Oh yes!  I forgot.  The girls are both Welsh Corgi's.  I have attached photos of each.

Attachments

• Spice 2004 (Small).jpg
    Spice 2004 (Small).jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Sugar 2004 (Small).jpg
    Sugar 2004 (Small).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 45
Sugar & Spice never forget us either.  When Ron or Shirley is out walking them if they see me come out the door they head our way. ;D

I bought my MH because I do have pets and got tired of trying to find hotels that allowed them. This way I can just pack up and go and not worry about finding a kennel or getting to a hotel and finding out they don't except pets. I do keep mine on their leashes and put the ac on when we go walking or swimming.
I have a 60 pound hound Sheppard mix and a jack Russell.
Plus the off chance they do have a accident its in my MH not a hotel.
Now if I could train my kids as good as the dogs..................

Marsha/CA wrote, in part:

"We travel with 2 cats without any trouble at all.  However, the first day they are a little queezy.  Although we have "boondocked" on several occasions, during the summer heat we make sure we are at a spot with hook-ups so we can keep the A/C on for them.  We are finding that even though the cats don't go out of the motorhome, we are still put in the 'Pets' section of RV parks."

Ah, but you travel in a motor home.  We have two large cats--half(obviously)-siblings named Desi (25 lbs of love) and Luci (a mere 15 lbs)*, and travel with a pickup/canopy and a popup.  So far we've managed to leave them home and have either my sister or our son look in on them once a week, clean their boxes, fill the food and water towers, etc.  However, we're planning a longish trip next Spring, from Portland to Lodi, CA (another sis), to Death Valley, to Surprise, AZ (cousin) and back, possibly detouring through Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.  Oh, and we might hit Yosemite on the way south, too.  So we'll probably be gone for at least two months, maybe three, and simply cannot leave the cats home that long.

Both have no front claws, so damage to our living quarters should be minimal.  Both are a bit edgy, though--Desi jumps straight up in the air about a foot or so at any sudden sound or movement.  It's entertaining, but doesn't bode well for the traveling jitters.  We may have to sedate both of them at first. 

I've read on other forums where we should break them in a bit with short trips in the truck that are NOT, for once, to the vet's clinic.  We'll begin training them to ride in the truck right after Christmas.  Also, while traveling, we'll have oversized hamster cage-type water bottles for them at all times, and stop at rest areas often to let them stretch their legs.  Also, we'll get harnesses as soon as possible and try to get them used to wearing them all the time, so that such things will not be new to them when traveling.

I note that one member asked "what do you do about the litter pan" or words to that effect.  Although not a particularly cheap way to go, many places stock disposible litter pans--like throw-away aluminum roasting pans with an inch or so of litter in them under a cardboard lid.  When it gets dirty, throw it in a handy garbage can (I'm sure fellow campers would appreciate a tied-up garbage bag around it to contain the smell--and open another one.

So you can see I've read up on the subject.  But I wonder--can any members tell of their experiences travleling with cats in such circumstances, i. e., a pickup (King Cab, not crew, alas) and popup?  Any tricks to make things easier on the cats or us?  Whatever you can tell me will be greatly appreciated.

Grandpa

*Luci, at 15lbs, is somewhat sedentary and thus, somewhat parenthetically shaped when viewed from the rear.  Desi, however, is all muscle, even at 25-27 lbs, and just plain BIG.  Fortunately, neither of them ever cops a 'tude.  They are both either very affectionate or, if you take the dimmer view, very needy.  Either way, it makes for a whole lot of cat hair just about everywhere, especially on one's clothing.

Back
Top Bottom