RV's and motorcycles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome Dog Folks, Sounds like your plan mirrors mine.  I plan to carry the bikes in the pickup when traveling and put up a canopy when we stay for awhile.  We used these canopies at the track and they resist wind and rain pretty well as well as keeping the sun off of things.  How were the hogs holding up in the back of the truck?  Did they get pretty worn looking.  Seems like there is always a concern!
Phil

Just sold the 2003 Elctra-glide and bought a Honda "Big Ruckus" 250cc scooter. I have owned and ridden Wings to Road Kings and all manner of Japanese bikes of various displacement. I have returned to the venerable motor scooter because they are, for me, more fun than my Harley. Easier to transport and seem to be more acceptable to the general public and campgrounds. Scooters today go from 50cc putt-putts up to 650cc touring scoots that go 80mph two up in comfort. I'm not suggesting anyone give up their big bikes but with the quality, selection and various size of scooters today they are something to think about. A 250cc would be minimum for extended distance travel, IMO. The best for touring or two up distance traveling would be in the 400cc, 500cc or 650cc range. The most expensive models the Honda Silverwing 650 or the Suzuki Bergman 650 Executive can be had for around $7K. Just something to think about.

Do dragbikes count?
We haul two 14 foot long quarter mile machines, the small bike is 8.90 at 149 mph in a 1/4, and the car-tire bike (that means 12" wide slick on rear) is 7.80 at 178mph. To get to the market, we use our 150cc Motofino scoot.

Hi T,

Here at The Great Outdoors the 650cc Burgman is very popular. I considered one before buying the motorcycle. Two guys told me that they are more fun than a motorcycle. TGO allows scooters to be ridden in the park. There is a large club somewhere near here that ride every week. An article in the paper about Daytona Bike Week stated they are now accepted by most motorcycle riders. As the saying goes, it's not what you ride, just that you ride. :)

Well fellow RV Forum folks....Kathy and I finally combined our love of our 2002 GL1800 Goldwing with a barely used 2006 37' Rampage Toyhauler 5th wheeler. Now we'll be able to bring along our little scooter for more adventures. Yes Jim, the 5.5 kW Onan is much quieter than the 2006 GenSet we had then...LOL!

Enjoy and ride safe all.

Kent & Kathy Switzer
US Army (Retired) Sergeant First Class/E-7
Sierra Vista, Arizona

Hi Kent,

Congratulations on your new toy hauler. Hope to see it someday. Been too long since we've been out that way. Work with a guy who still owns a home in Sierra Vista and really gets depressed when he knows we're headed that way. ;D Had to take photos of his house on two trips so he could see how it looked. He keeps getting emails from a friend there and that doesn't help either. He received a link to the video of Rex Allen, Jr singing "Arizona". Very nicely done.

Hi Everyone again, it's been quite awhle since i've been  around, and alot has changed. We got out of our motorcycle rental business, I left my aviation job, and the wife and I went to school and are now team driving big trucks over the road, all 48 states!
We still have our 40'Foretravel we FT'd in for 6 mo prior to this, and we each have a bike, a GoldWing for her, and a RoadStar Cruiser for me.
Which brings me to my question for the experts here. We are planning on driving for a year or two, and paying off all the bills (we have rented out our house so no real house payments) then going back to FT rv'ng. (and teacing motorcycle riding with MSF, and other part time stuff)
I have determined that a 5th wheel toyhauler mite accomadate our lifestyle a little better. I would like to know if there are some larger 5th wheels out there that would accomadate the 2 big bikes, (gvw, weight balance, etc) and adequate living quarters.
Thanks in advance for any info, looking forward to some more interesting chats around here!
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

Wish this message was a little sooner. We just spent a couple of days at Daytona Bike Week. There are lots of toy haulers out there. They had two that had more room than I have previously seen. One was a Cherokee but they are not near the top of my list. The dealership where I have a summer job carried them for a couple of years. No toy haulers but the regular travel trailers. Cherokee likes to put skylights in their slideout. The problem is they are on a flat roof and the Eternabond, or equivilent they use is not applied properly and 90% of them leak. Unfortunately I do not remember the name of the other unit. Both were fairly long and had adequate living quarters but nothing like a good motor coach.

Just checked the photos I took. The Cherokee model was the Wolf Pack. The other brand I don't know but the model was an XLR.

Thanks for the info Jim. We have been running thru the southwest and have seen alot of toyhaulers out here (Quartzite, Yuma area, and back to Dallas). I did get a chance to look up the Cherokees and also found the XLR on one of the dealership websites (tho like you, I can't remember the brand right now, lol).
I am a little concerned about the weight of 2 big bikes behind the axles of these trailers. I have also seen some in the 40-41ft lengths. Anyone have any experience with these? Any recommendations on a quality unit? As you can tell, I am quite uneducated" on 5ths and just starting my research. I appreciate any and all imputs.
BTW, if you see a big red CFI truck out there, it mite be us exploring the great country, give a wave!
Cheers

Steve,

You're welcome. As far as being uneducated, stick around. I'm sure someone will be delighted to educate you. ;D ;D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom