sacrificial rv 30amp to rv 30amp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Use a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter whenever you can.  Not only do the 50 amp sockets get less use, but they're almost never run at full load, unlike the 30 amp outlets which frequently are.

Less loading and less usage means the 50 amp sockets are almost always in good shape.  Plus even if you do find a worn one, you won't pull anything near it's full rating, increasing your safety margin.

I have run into a bad 50 amp receptacle and had to use the 30 amp with an adapter. So far that has only happened once.

scale obsession said:
Hey guys, we recently spent some time at a beautiful KOA. Had a great trip. Upon packing up, when I unplugged my surge guard surge protector, I noticed one of the prongs on the plug had apparently become hot and melted the plastic slightly. Surge guard won't replace it due to it being a pedestal issue vs a warranty issue. So I was wondering if it would be feasible to get a pigtail that I could plug into the pedestal between my surge protector, and use it as the sacrificial pig tail? That way if it happened again, it would melt the pig tail vs my expensive surge guard. I've googled a bit and haven't found much a 30 to 30 yet, so if you know of one please send the link my way. Thanks in advance!

Throw away the Surge Guard surge protector and by a Progressive Industries EMS unit. The EMS would have shut the power off and there would be no burning. PI Ems' are guaranteed and they will send you a new one.

cavie said:
Throw away the Surge Guard surge protector and by a Progressive Industries EMS unit. The EMS would have shut the power off and there would be no burning. PI Ems' are guaranteed and they will send you a new one.

I will check this out. Surge Guard would not replace mine due to the issues. They told me if it still works, to clean the prong up and use it.

Throw away the Surge Guard surge protector and by a Progressive Industries EMS unit. The EMS would have shut the power off and there would be no burning.
It's highly unlikely the PI unit would have done any different in this situation.  It's almost surely not an overload or high voltage condition, and both brands do a good job with those anyway.    The campground outlet heats up as a result of worn pin slots and/or corroded wire connections and that causes burning at the contacts and melted insulation. It's heat, not electricity.

Back
Top Bottom