Safe dock step

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Not afloat, but at our dock...
A simple project that's high on safety. Getting in and out of the bass boat while it's elevated on the hydrohoist has always been an issue; My legs just aren't long enough, and I've been concerned about slipping/falling - not good around water.
Various dock steps I've tried didn't help. So out with the table saw, some 4x4 & 2x4 lumber, deck screws, and plywood left over from one of Chris' projects.
Thanks to Chris for a coat of paint, strips of non-slip tape, and we were done. Built like a brick outhouse, but safe and solid. Why didn't I think of this before?

Meanwhile, I'm already thinking about rev 2.

Attachments

• Dock-step2.jpg
    Dock-step2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Dock-step4.jpg
    Dock-step4.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 37
Looks solid Tom, but my first thought is movement of the step. Perhaps a bracket with pin attaching the legs to the board they sit on near the boat? Just a thought

It's solid Scott, but I'm thinking of adding a couple of cleats to stop it moving. Alternatively, a couple of hinge pins, so it can either stay in place or swing out of the way, same as one of the dock ladders (just out of sight of that pic).

[quote author=Tom]... a couple of hinge pins, so it can either stay in place or swing out of the way...[/quote]
Couldn't recall the name, but they're called strap hinges. They'll anchor one end (stops the forward movement), will tilt up (when I launch/retrieve the boat), and will allow the step to be easily removed altogether for storage. Ordered a couple from amazon.

Aye Scott. I'll probably need to remove some vinyl dock boards, after first removing dock edging, and install some wood blocking to attach the lag screws for those strap hinges. I've done that a a few times for other installs. OTOH when I installed the slide on the dock, I hopped in the water and put the blocks in from below.

Tom said:
I'll probably need to remove some vinyl dock boards, after removing dock edging, and installing some wood blocking to attach the screws for those strap hinges.

Tom, I saw that vinyl and when I suggested securing the step was thinking you could just secure the legs to the unfinished board boatside, rather than the vinyl covered boards dockside. Unless I'm not seeing something in the pictures wouldn't that prevent all movement?  The boat is in a cradle correct, so there's no wave action between dock and boat to be concerned with?

Scott, that board you mentioned is fixed (bolted) to the hydrohoist and goes down in the water (submerged) when the boat is launched. So, the step has to be anchored to the dock and be movable for launch & retrieve. Meanwhile, it's easy to hop between boat and dock when the boat is in the water, and no step is required.

Back
Top Bottom