Samsung galaxy III ot Galaxy II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim and di

I am switching to a no contract smart phone, the company I selected offers both phones however, the III is $250.00 more than the II. Has anyone had both and do you think the newer unit is worth the extra money?
Jim

Jim - I have the Galaxy Exhibit which has a 3.7 inch screen. The Galaxy 2 has a 4.3 inch screen and the Galaxy 3 has a 4.8 in screen. The Exhibit fits in my pocket just fine. The Galaxy 2 is a tight squeeze and the 3 is too large for one of my pockets. So I suggest you go to a Walmart and hold the different phones in your hand and see which one feels best and is easiest to read. Make sure it will fit in what ever pocket you might put it in.

Besides the physical size you should also determine which one would fit your needs best.  I just picked up the Galaxy III and really like it but as a BlackBerry lover I have a lot of basic ground to cover so the Galaxy II might had worked just as well for my needs.  Still like the larger screen of the III.  :)

Barb said:
Don't forget, you can buy a phone from another source, like amazon or ebay. And have it activated by your carrier. And go no contract.

There are reports of a lot of stolen phones being re-sold through markets like that. Use only reputable dealers if/when choosing that route.  There has been talk of listing all phones in a database to prevent re-activation should a reported stolen one show up.

This will likely be a long time in coming however, and may require legislation, as it would require co-operation of all carriers...... Just a heads up....

The III has a better camera, it has a few features added which I will most likely never use and it fits in both my pockets just fine but also a Western Case radio pouch I happen to have on hand.  (This is a very good belt pouch) fits better than the radio I bought the case for in fact.

Since I went with a contract plan (I am very happy with my service provider and plan to keep them,  I might add I'm even happer now (more in a bit) the price difference was not that great after rebates.

Now, why am I happier.. Last summer I went with Virgin Mobile usb Stick,  It worked, just, where I'm at now, (3g is the best it could do) it had a very small limit, it worked in another CG I park at but again only just.

Where I'm at now,, I have solid 4G with the T-moblie tower about a mile away.

The park I visit in Wilimington where teh Virgin Mobile barley worked I have solid EDGE level service

The park I spend 2/3 of my winter in I only get GPRS but... The park has great Wi-Fi so it's not a problem.  (I'm only 3/4 mile from tower there too)  The phone works well with the Wi-Fi for Wi-Fi calling as well.  Very happy with the over all performance so far.. And though I have a data limit,, I spent almost a solid month using the phone and "Approached" the limit.. Comfortably below it.

I ended up comparing the Samsung Galaxy exhibit, the SII, and the SIII. I went to the Samsung website. The Exhibit had more of what i needed, speaker phone, GPS. Si today the new phone came and as Tom said it fits in a pocket, the screen is big enough. Now to activate and experiment.
Jim

I know the S-III has both GPS and Speakerphone.. Used both of those features today. Suspect the S-ii does too but who knows without one in hand.

That said, The rule of "The best computer" applies.

If it does everything you want, Fits in your pocket like you want, and otherwise makes you happy, than for YOU, that is the best one.

The S-iii has a few features I would rather not have.  But one of the features i will tell you about is "Hide apps"

When you open the apps screen, tap the menu button (Bottom left on a S-III, left of the "HOME" button (The only physical button on the face) and chose "HIDE APPS"  Applications you can not delete (Factory installed junk) can be "hidden" so you never have to deal with them.

Jim - I agree. The Exhibit is more than enough for me. It has great performance at a great price point. Hundreds cheaper than the S2 or S3.

I tried out several cases for the Exhibit and this is the one I ended up using. It is soft rubber and will absorb a shock pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ECAMY2/ref=wms_ohs_product

And here is the screen protector I use. You can put it on without any bubbles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007A5BL5Q/ref=wms_ohs_product

Barb bought an Exhibit recently. I have not heard from her on how she likes it.

SeilerBird said:
Jim - I agree. The Exhibit is more than enough for me. It has great performance at a great price point. Hundreds cheaper than the S2 or S3.

I tried out several cases for the Exhibit and this is the one I ended up using. It is soft rubber and will absorb a shock pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ECAMY2/ref=wms_ohs_product

And here is the screen protector I use. You can put it on without any bubbles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007A5BL5Q/ref=wms_ohs_product

Barb bought an Exhibit recently. I have not heard from her on how she likes it.

Great links!  Much cheaper than what I paid @ the T-Mobile store.  I did get the Powerskin cover with the back-up battery but it wasn't cheap.  Sounds like you made a good choice of which phone to get.

I have the Galaxy SIII which is still pretty challenging to me. Let's just say I won't be applying for the show "Are you smarter than a smartphone?" anytime soon.  The main reason I opted for this model is the screen size, not so much the options.  Quite frankly it might end up being more smartphone than I really need or will use.

Being this is my 3rd smart phone. I'm savy enough, about  what i want and need. I really like my exhibit ll. 

And with the skyvi app, (siri for android), it pretty much does what I need. And has a much better speaker than my galaxy captivate.

The talking alarm clock app reminds me to take my meds. The zello app makes the phone a walkie talkie (ppt). Which is pretty cool.

I'm still working on the duel camera when using skype, but hey it's a new toy.

Has real built in GPS. Used the run keeper app, on our hike through the slot canyon in Bullhead City the other day.

And being from a fireman's family, I love the police scanner. I had a scanner in the stick house.

My only issue, is that it is smaller and lighter that my last 2 phones.  And I have to keep checking my case to see if it's there.

Smart phones can be as simple or as smart as you want them to be. If you don't need a app, or a feature don't use it. But, when you need something it's there. And I like that.

The Exhibit comes with a lot of junk programs preinstalled like every other smart phone on the market. I have found Lookout to actually be free and very useful. It has several components to it and the one that impresses me the most is the lost phone section. If you loose your phone Lookout will send you an email pinpointing it's location. If the phone is only lost in your house you can set it to scream. It is possible to subscribe with a monthly fee for the premium features, but I found them unnecessary.

https://www.lookout.com/features/missing-device

There is a free app that can be downloaded on their website if your phone doesn't have this program.

jim and di said:
I have discovered swype, just a great way to type text messages, also email.
I have a niece that uses swype and she just blazes away with it. I was amazed at how fast she can send messages. It is kinda like shorthand. Did you notice that once you start to swype that suggestion appear above the keyboard to shorten the time even more?

I like the skyvi app for android. (siri for android). Me being left handed, I was always hitting the m key, when I was trying to delete. Always had to do to a letter 4 times. Type, delete, delete correction, and correct letter.

Just speak your text and send. No more fat fingers to worry about.

And she even tells jokes.

Does the G-III have an off-air TV receiver built-in (mobile Handheld)? I have one at the office that does, but I think it's a prototype

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom