San Diego to Canada or bust...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Hi Everyone,

I wish I were as detailed as Betty is with her GREAT Alaskan recap; but at the moment I can't even remember the date; let alone fill you in on all the minute details of what we have done and where we have been.  I do know the day...but had to look at a calendar to figure out the date.  Tim and I are having a ball.  This is the longest trip we have taken.  We don't plan to be back home in San Diego until Oct 1st.  I'm wondering if Tim is testing the "full time" possibilites.  I will offer that Tim has kept a detailed record of all expenses and says we are spending $70.00/day. 

We left CAlifornia on July 5th and here we are just north of Niagara Falls on the Canadian side.  WE have visited family in Indiana and Ohio; and stayed in the Amish country near Canton, Oh.  On Sunday morning, It was so facinating to watch the buggies pass with men in their stove pipe hats and women in their long dresses going to church.  It made me stop and think just how fast moving the "english" have become.  Amish call the rest of us "english".  The Amish have beautiful flower gardens in their yards and the campground we stayed in was no exception; flowers were everywhere.

I had been doing tons of research about our border crossing into Canada and had us down to the last morsel of dog & cat food; meat for us and just a handful of vegetables/fruits.  Our pet records were in order and our passports at the ready for crossing.  This morning I was a nervous wreck thinking of things I might have forgotten and was worried about going through customs.  However, as we approached the customs booth we noticed another motorhome pulled over and inspectors were going througt it.  So I thought, oh boy, this is going to be intense.  When we reached the agent, he just asked a couple of questions, didn't ask for pet information or ID's for us....just waved us on through...I was stunned.

So now we are camped for a few days to allow us to stock up on food; replenish dog and cat food and sightsee the area of Niagara FAlls.

I think I'll sleep in tomorrow morning.

Marsha~

Marhsa,

Congratulations on a smooth border crossing. Sounds like you're having a ball and we wish we were tagging along. We really enjoyed our trip through the maritimes a couple of years ago. Some photos are in our photo albums - click the Photos button above and look for the album labelled TJNCJ shakedown cruise.

MarshaLassen/CA said:
WE have visited family in Indiana and Ohio; and stayed in the Amish country near Canton, Oh.  On Sunday morning, It was so facinating to watch the buggies pass with men in their stove pipe hats and women in their long dresses going to church.  It made me stop and think just how fast moving the "english" have become.  Amish call the rest of us "english".  The Amish have beautiful flower gardens in their yards and the campground we stayed in was no exception; flowers were everywhere.

Marsha,

Where did you stay in Amish country? I was born and raised in the area and have many Aunts, Uncles & Cousins still living there. My grandparents were Amish.

You can't find better kept yards than you'll find in Amish country. Did you notice how they even plant flowers around the base of power poles?

Glad you enjoyed your stay there.

MarshaLassen/CA said:
I wish I were as detailed as Betty is with her GREAT Alaskan recap; .I think I'll sleep in tomorrow morning.

Hi Marsha,

Thanks for the compliment on my log.  The secret is to keep all of the flyer's of the places we go.

I've found that by a complete and total worry the actual event is usually more simple  than planned.  Our Canadian crossing was as simple as yours.  Enjoy the area.  I still recall how wonderful that experience!

Betty

Marsha

>> When we reached the agent, he just asked a couple of questions, didn't ask for pet information or ID's for us....just waved us on through...I was stunned.<<

You can never tell how they will treat you....When we crossed they pulled Ned & Russ over & even made Russ open his slide, searched top to bottom...Us, they just waved through.<G>

Betty,  I'm a worry wart when it comes to things I've not done or experienced before.  Like you I'm learning that the more I worry about it the easier it is to accomplish.....My next new thing to worry about is finding campgrounds up here.  I think we are just going to wander on our road of choice and if we see something we like, pull in and see if they have room for us.  Our cell phones work up here, but we are trying not to use them because we are on roam.  Today I need to find a bank and exchange money.  Our plan is to use our credit/debit card for everything because the banks will calculate the exchange rate.  However, I do need cash to do the laundry and buy veggies at the vegatable/fruit stands that are everywhere.  One thing we have found is that food is much more expensive; at least where we are at the moment.

Terry, I remember Betty's account at how you were just waved through and Ned and Russ were pulled over.  Tim thinks we were waved through because the other motorhome was being inspected.  All I know is that as we were going through, I whispered..."hey, we'vre going through like Terry and Betty".

Don, we stayed at "Amish Country Campground" in Winneburg on highway 62.  It was quaint and not in the middle of the hussle and bussle of things.  Where is your family located?

Tom, you and Chris jump in the motorhome and meet us.... :p  Maybe Glaicer Park would be a good meeting spot......We'd love to have company.  I'll have a look at your pictures.  Today we are just taking it easy; and btw, I did sleep in.  Tomorrow it's seeing Niagara Falls.

Marsha~

Hi Marsah,

Seems like you and Tim are enjoying your trip to the north.  Peg and I are happy for you.

I had been doing tons of research about our border crossing into Canada and had us down to the last morsel of dog & cat food; meat for us and just a handful of vegetables/fruits.

Now then, don't get fooled by this northward behaviour and think it will necessarily be the same when you cross the border southward.

We routinely cross the border, in either direction, with as little food as possible.  Going south is usually a bit more rigorous when it comes to the food check.  When going south last May, the fridge was empty other than for eggs, milk and cheese.  We had to give up the two eggs; but no other questions save for where do you live, where are you going, and how long will you be.

Ciao,

Doug

Hi Doug,

Good to hear from you!!!  Actually I could use a Canadian about now to help me sort things out.  Although I must admit, everyone here has been extremely helpful.  I think I finally have the currency stuff figured out...(loonies and toonies?).  And, I had to get on the web to figure out the litters to gallons conversion.  IT seems your petro is more expensive than the States. 

Tim is trying to finish a consulting project that needs about a days worth of work, at the moment, so I am doing laundry and boring stuff like that.  This is a very nice campground although a bit expensive.  The weather is really nice so I might head for the pool....

BTW, how have you been?  Did you and Peg get all the medical stuff fixed and sorted out so that you can begin some travel again?

Marsha~

Marsha

>> This is a very nice campground although a bit expensive.<<

Since the Canadian dollar is almost equal to ours, EVERYTHING is much more expensive than in the states, good for the Canadians visiting us.<G> WE went to a bank shortly after entering Canada & with drew $400 for odds & ends & places that didn't take credit cards. It will last us until our final entry into the US & we will just put whatever is left into a final fillup.

? Don't you use Ned's Rolling Stock program?? If so it converts the liters/gal for you. I think you can use it for a trial period, it is really an excellent program.

Hi Terry,

{Don't you use Ned's Rolling Stock program?  If so it converts the liters/gal for you. I think you can use it for a trial period, it is really an excellent program.}

Have you ever seen those little round magnet thingies that have "tuit" written on the front.? You know "a round tuit"....Har Har.? It's just one of those things we haven't done.? And since Tim is an "Excel" program extraordinaire....he made his own.? I'm sure Ned's program is great and we really should try it out.

Marsha~

MarshaLassen/CA said:
I'm sure Ned's program is great and we really should try it out.

Marsha~

I have used Excell in the past and really don't plan on using it again.  However,  If you haven't tried Neds Rolling Stock program I would think you are short changing yourself.  Great programm, well thought out, and easy to use.  Get a copy and try it you will like it I am sure.

Hi Marsha,

IT seems your petro is more expensive than the States. 

Yup, right now in Sechelt where we live we're running the equivalent of $3.90US per US gallon.  As far back as I can remember our gas prices have been higher than yours and so I just smile when I hear my US friends complaining about the recently high price of gasolene :).

Tim is trying to finish a consulting project that needs about a days worth of work

I know the feeling--Peg and I will be in Victoria next week while I finish an assignment with a small dot com.  We'll be in a hotel since our rig is still in sick bay--blown power steering box and replacing a master cylinder (which latter is another story).  However, we have a full Septmber and October lined up with the rig.

Did you and Peg get all the medical stuff fixed and sorted out so that you can begin some travel again?

Thanks for asking.  The PC seems to be beaten and the new pipes in the chest are working just fine.

Safe travels to you and Tim--and if your plans change and bring you to Vancouver, please let us know and we'll do our best to effect a work around for a meet up.

Ciao,

Doug

MarshaLassen/CA said:
Don, we stayed at "Amish Country Campground" in Winneburg on highway 62.  It was quaint and not in the middle of the hussle and bussle of things.  Where is your family located?

Marsha~

That is a very nice campground. You were camped about a 1/2 mile from one of my cousins there in Winesburg. My dad was born and raised in Mt. Hope. There were 12 children in my dad's family so I have lots of cousins in that area. Most of them still live in Holmes or Wayne county. Of the 12 children I only have one uncle still alive.

Glad you enjoyed your stay there.

Tom said:
When you (or Tim) gets 'roundtoit, here's a link that will get you to Rolling Stock.

Don't forget to use the 20% forum discount code GBA000S1 when ordering, but use the BMT Micro order page to get it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom