San Francisco to Boston and back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

31DAYS

I just finished reading "we're back" and was quite impresed with the trip report. I am about to embark on a similar trip to see family and friends during the month of July. Me, my wife, 16 and 10 year old daughters. San Francisco to Denver to Boston to NY to Atlanta and home. All in a 40' MH. I am brand new to this and could use any help that any of you might suggest. I had planned on a semi structured itinerary and wonder if I need to make reservations or just wing it? Thank you for all of your stories.

Steve

A few hours have past and no inputs for you.....? Well, they will be coming. Here are my "two cents worth".

If you could, please tell us something about your MH.... generally someone with a similar rig will remember "their" experiences and chime in with things taught the hard way... experience.

I pull a small TT and stay out of campgrounds if I can. When one gets close to "ATTRACTIONS" (New York City and such) one should make reservations in advance. Remember, to avoid disappointing someone, make plans. 

Steve,

Sounds like you have a good trip planned. Most of our trips tend to be "semi-structured", but closer to unstructured. Given a general direction (east or west), we'll toss a coin to decide if we stay another night or move on. If the answer is to move on, we stick a pin in the map and go.

Yes, we do have some defined waypoints and, if we know we're going to be in the vicinity of some must-see sights, we'll adjust accordingly. We make very few reservations, unless we know we're going to a busy location at a busy time (usually try to avoid both) and usually call when we're a couple of hours away from a campground to see if they have room. If not, we try the next one.

One issue you might have with some of your destinations at this time of year is campgrounds possibly being closed for the winter. I'll let others comment on that, but it might be a reason to call ahead. OTOH if you're staying at the properties of friends and family, you'll be more concerned with weather-related issues.

Thanks for your speedy replies. I have a 2004 40' Alpha See-Ya deisel pusher. Pretty much has everything. Our general destination is northern states on the way to boston and southern states on the way back home. All of it happening during the month of July. Only have 31 days due to the kids swim team commitments.

Steve

31DAYS said:
. I had planned on a semi structured itinerary and wonder if I need to make reservations or just wing it?

Steve,
I think you will definitely need reservations  where ever you plan to be on July 4.  Since you are traveling in summer as was stated,  big cities may need a reservation.  Be sure to get Trailer Life or a similar camping guidebook and as Tom says you can  look in the book and phone ahead the afternoon of an expected stop to see about their room.  If they don't have room, keep going to next campground.  With only 31 days and  such a busy itinerary and long distances you will likely not be spending too many nights in one spot.  Enjoy, have fun and if you can be on line report here your travels.  As you near a specific city ask if anyone has a recommendation for a park.  We did that a few years ago.  Durango CO comes to mind.  There were several options for parks there but recommendations from those  who had been there  with a similar size rig to ours helped us to make the decision.

Have fun,

Betty

We seldom make reservations, but you will may want them on holiday weekends and when you will be near popular destinations, i.e. tourist attractions. I would also consider them if you will be within 150 miles of a large city on a weekend (the city dwellers escape on Friday night and fill up everything within driving range).

Your stopping time is also a factor. If you stop early in the day (I recommend that), e.g. by 4 pm, you can almost always get a site. If you expect to pull into the campground at 6 or 7 pm, a call ahead is a good idea cause they may have filled by then. It is usually adequate to call the campground when you are a few hours away, when you are sure of your destinmation and your arrival time.

31DAYS said:
All of it happening during the month of July.

Apologies, I misread your earlier message and thought your trip was imminent. Weather won't be an issue but, as others have said, reservations might be a good idea around the holidays.

I must say, you folks are the nicest, most helpful collection of people that I have run across. I went onto another forum that replied that I am basically crazy to do what I intend to do in such a short amount of time. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom