Sandpiper 315BHT is a Chevy 2500 HD Duramax a Big Enough Truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith4him

Hi, Everyone

I am new to this board, I can tell by lurking there are some informed RVers on this site.
I recently bought a new 06 Sandpiper 315BHT, the empty weight is 10k roughly, the loaded is around 15k. I will by buying a truck to pull it with sometime in the future, right now I don't have to worry as it Will be set up and not moved until next summer. But is the newer Durmax 2500HD with the 6.6L dis. engines big enough to pull this trailer without concerns about being underpowered?

Looking forward to responses,

Keith

Go to Chevy Silverado specs and click the Trailering tab. Scan down towards the bottom of the page for the 2500HD Duramax towing specs.  Most configurations can handle around 15,000 lbs but the crew cab versions are down around 14,000. Check the specs for your specific configuration.

Generally speaking, you are straining the limits of this truck at 15,000+ lbs of trailer GVWR. However, I checked the Forest River web site and it shows the 31BHT at a GVWR of 14,170, which is within the range. Be careful of the hitch weight, though. That trailer is spec'ed to put 2170 lbs on the back of the truck and most of that gets carried by the rear axle. And experience shows that after loading the hitch weight is often greater than that stated in the brochures.  Depending on what else you carry in the truck (passengers and gear), you might need a 3500 with duals to carry the hitch (kingpin) weight.

Fully agree with you Gary.  Since Keith has not bought the 2500, he should shift his sights to the 3500 dually right now -- there aint no such thing as too much tow capacity, but there sure as hell is too little.

I just  purchased a new 316BHT.  I am pulling with a 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax 2007 model. It pulls great .....

How about stopping  gong downhill and need to make a sudden stop.  It Ain;'t enough

jana1954 said:
I just  purchased a new 316BHT.  I am pulling with a 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax 2007 model. It pulls great .....

The 2500HD may seem to pull the 5er just fine but are you and passengers safe and legal while doing it. If any weight limits are being exceeded its not safe or legal.  If within weight limits all is well.  Are you withing the GVWR, GCVWR?

They all have the same brakes so why is a dually going to stop better,they all have the same frames just different leaf spring set ups and different tire arrangements 2500 has 245's/ 35000 srw 265's 2  more springs than the 2500 700 lb..gain gvwr/3500 drw 215's .

brakes are different from a dually to single rear wheel in most cases.  Run into this every week at work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom