Sanitizing and Dryer Sheets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon Groff

A quick question on sanitizing - I looked in the library and found one source that recommends 1/4 cup bleach for each 15 gals of water.  This would work out to a bit over a cup for my rig.  I also did a thread search and found another recommendation that would add about 4.5 cups into my system.  I have not had any issues with my coach - 3rd year in use and mostly use a chlorinated city water system for my fresh water, but figured I'd run this through the system before draining and winterizing and leave it set dry without flushing over the winter (that's recommended proceedure for sanitizing in a food plant - apply and let dry w/out rinsing).  I can rinse it in the spring if any odor remains.  Any current advice for bleach dilution to sanitize?

I also wanted to give a "shout out" to the poster who recommended dryer sheets for bug removal.  After soaking and rubbing repeatedly with my sponge and soapy water, they were still stuck on pretty bad, but when I took a Bounce to it, they came right off!  Thanks!

Gordon

1/4 cup per 15 gallons is 4 ml per gallon which is plenty, 1 cup per 15 gallons is probably way too much and would be tough on hoses and seals.  I use 1 ml per gallon which provides around 10-15 ppm chlorine, 4ml per gallon will get you to 50 ppm which would be enough to satisfy a commercial restaurant inspector.  Such high levels aren't really necessary for RV plumbing because the contact times are longer.

The 1/4 cup per 15 gallons is for sanitizing, not everyday use.  If you read the library article here, you'll also see that after sanitizing for a few hours, it's recommended to rinse the system with baking soda to remove the chlorine odor after draining the bleach water.

You may have misinterpreted the other instructions that seem to call for more chlorine. Some procedures call for pre-mixing a very strong solution but that solution is then poured into the tank and filled with plain water, diluting it substantially.  I've seen a couple write-ups that could easily be misread to call for very strong concentrations.

At a concentration of 10 oz bleach per 15 gallons, the US CDC says thorough sanitizing takes place in about 30 seconds.  1 cup (8 oz) per 15 gal takes a bit longer, but I don't think you will be moving it through the water system that fast!

Thanks for the info, guys!  I went back to look for the post that recommened the higher concentration, but could not find it quickly.  No problem.  I'll stick with the Library recommendation.  I'll check odor and rinse with baking soda as needed in the spring.

Gordon

We have a cabin and have well water that smells we put some peroxide in our hot water heater every time we use it and smell is gone It is a bit safer in water less smell and kills bacteria. Probably could put in tank when ya fill to keep it fresh and is cheap to buy too.we have learned to drain tank every time we leave so water isn't sitting there growing bacteria.

Old sailors trick:
We used cheap gin to clean fresh water tanks.
I prefer peroxide and used it in my well back on the ranch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom