Sanitizing your CPAP device

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Over the years, I've found that the 'warm soapy water' method of cleaning my CPAP system is rather messy, and more so when in the confines of the RV bathroom. Searching online,  I see various 'CPAP sanitizing' devices, one of which gets a lot of TV ad time. Just curious what folks use to clean their CPAP systems, and the pros & cons of alternatives.

I use the SoClean ozone cleaner and love it.  Simple and effective.  https://www.sleepdirect.com/cleaning/soclean-2-cpap-cleaner-and-sanitizer?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand+-+SoClean&utm_term=soclean+cpap+cleaner&utm_content=SoClean

Thanks Jim. SoClean is one I've been procrastinating over, and the one that seems to get the most air time. Amazon has it with free adapters included. OTOH ads for other brands suggest that ozone treatments can be detrimental to your health, and require some 'stabilization time' after cleaning. A lot of this is lost in the marketing hype. I have a couple of appointments next week, one for my semi-annual physical and one for my annual checkup with the sleep doc. I'll see if either of them has any opinions on the side effects of ozone cleaning.

My clean time is set for 10am and I always take it out of the cleaner during the afternoon so it has time to "air" out.  I asked my local CPAP machine dealer and they knew of so adverse side effects from the ozone.  Let me know what you find out.

We use vinegar. Pour some in the tank and let sit for a few hours then rinse. For the hose and mask pour vinegar in a plastic container large enough for the hose and mask and let soak a few hours. Rinse and let dry.

Tom, another added benefit of the ozone cleaner which I did not realize until I decided on this one, is the ozone cleans the water chamber and the water so there is no need to refresh or clean that daily.  Just add additional water and go.

It is recommended every day.  I talked to a lady over the weekend who has not done anything but wipe hers out for over 4 years.  I told her if there were germs in it they would be ready to graduate by now.

I asked my respiratory doctor about the SoClean system. 

She was not impressed with the system.

She said you should still wipe out the mask with a sanitary wipe such as plain baby wipes without any deodorant etc.  ( That is what I use).

She also recommends rinsing and using fresh distilled water every day in the water reservoir.

The problem even if the SoClean kills the germs the dead germs are still there as food for new germs.

Lowell said:
I don't know anything about CPAP.  Do you have to clean them every day?
I've been using mv CPAP all night, every night, for 7 years and it has never been sanitized (but I do clean the face mask every few weeks).

BTW you can't believe everything you see advertised on TV, (if I did I'd have a room full of useless gadgets/devises).

I looked into the SoClean system and found that it uses ozone to kill germs and mold but does not clean the surfaces, You still need to clean them in some way and if done properly that will kill the germs and mold also.
After 14 years of CPAP use I am much more lackadaisical about cleaning than when I first started. I use a solution of Dawn and water and clean the mask every month or so. I use distilled  water so have no deposits in the humidifier but I do spray some Clorox Bleach Spray Cleaner in it and rinse it really well - maybe every six months or so. Once or twice a year I put vinegar in the hose and slosh it back and forth some and then rinse it.

mel s said:
I've been using mv CPAP all night, every night, for 7 years and it has never been sanitized (but I do clean the face mask every few weeks).

BTW you can't believe everything you see advertised on TV, (if I did I'd have a room full of useless gadgets/devises).

I do my hose, mask and tank about every two weeks if I think of it. I'm still walking.

I bought a $40 ozone system from Amazon a few weeks ago. It's the kind that you hook one end of the hose into. So you have the choice of taking off your face mask and putting that end into the unit so it will sanitize the hose and water tank, or take the end off the cpap machine and hook it up, sanitizing the hose and the face mask. I do one end every two weeks and the other end on the off weeks and it seems to work pretty well.

It is advised to run the machine for at least an hour after sanitizing it to remove as much of the ozone still in the hose as possible. I don't know what kind of heath effects it might have if inhaled, but I do know that it has a distinct odor that I prefer not to breathe all night.

I follow just about the same regimen as CarlL, and mine is in good shape for six years now. I?m a little worried about ozone and the residue. Think I will stay with cleaning manually.

[quote author=John Stephens]I bought a $40 ozone system from Amazon a few weeks ago.[/quote]

Do you have a link to the one you purchased? TIA.

Tom said:
Do you have a link to the one you purchased? TIA.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKQHWL6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Sorry I misquoted the price - forgot what I paid. It's $47.99.

Thanks John. There's a huge spread in the prices/features.

Tom said:
Thanks John. There's a huge spread in the prices/features.

You're quite welcome, Tom. When I began researching a cleaner, I realized there were a lot of varying prices and features. What caught my eye and led me to this one was a unit very similar looking to this one that also had a bag that you could put all your equipment into. It cost $89.95 and essentially had the same ozone generator this one does, so you're paying an extra $40 for the bag. Since I use water from my kitchen RO system, my water tank doesn't get contaminated very quickly and I saw no need to clean it as frequently as the hose and nasal pillows mask. Therefore, no need for the bag unless you want to clean everything at the same time. The one I have runs off of an internal battery that can be recharged each time you use it to ensure the next time, it will have a full charge. It works in about 30 minutes. It's small enough to not take up room in the coach, which was a major consideration for me since we'll begin taking three month trips next year.

I ordered the $47.99 version, for reasons you stated. Thanks again.

Didn't get to talk with the pulmonologist/sleep Doc about the "ozone issue" today; I was running late, stuck in traffic and, 45 mins into the drive I called to say I'd be late. He was leaving for the day before I could get there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom