Satalite TV Equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wmaw98

Hi All.  I just purchased a satellite dish and tripod at camping world.  They told me that I can go to any Radio Shack and sine up for Dish Network or DirectTV.  Well I went to my local Radio Shack and they promptly told me they could not help me when I mentioned installing it on a motorhome.  So my Question is, where can I get the Dish Network System for my motorhome? I,m currently in Marysville Washington.
Woody

Woody:

Up in Arlington on Olympic on the left side of the street about a 1/2 block north of the new city hall is a Sat dealer who installed ours.

If you still have a house you might consider having it installed in your home for the time being. Most offers include one receiver (I would upgrade to a DVR), sat antenna, and free installation. To have sat TV in your RV you will  be paying for a full subscription so you might as well use it to replace cable if that is what you have. All you will to do is unplug the receiver and carry it out to the RV when you are ready to go.

If you full time all it takes is filling out an affidavit and a phone call to switch your service over to coast to coast service for the major networks.

On a different subject have you considered DirecTV instead of Dish? I started out with Dish but the two satellites they use makes it more cumbersome to switch channels. If you purchased your Sat dish form Camping World is the LNB oblong or round? It takes a multi LNB system to receive both of the Dish sats at one time.

Another thing to keep in mind,  If you are dissatisfied with the Sat TV  Dish is a 2 yr contract and Direct TV is 1 yr.  I have neither nor but I had both try to hook thru my Wineguard Sat on the roof and neither worked.  Direct Tv said sorry and offered to try again at any time.  Dish wanted $240 to disconnect something that was never connected and Turned it over to a collection agency when I refused to pay them.  Told them both(Dish and the agency)  to shove it where the sun don't shine.  I wouldn't give them 10 cents and would never recommend them.  I do without doesn't bother me, I get away from all the Crap on the tube that way.  Actually it's refreshing when on the road watching all our tapes and Dvds/

Hi Jeff
Thanks for the info. ?I already sold my house and I'm Full-time in the Motorhome. ? I will look the place up in Arlington tomorrow. ?The LNB that came with the dish that I got from Camping world is round. ?I looked at both Dish network and DirectTV, and It looked to me that dish network has more for the money. However I'm open to more advice from people that have dealt with the two systems. Thanks for your input Shayne, I will definitely keep what you said in mind.
Woody

I posted a longer reply (I thought) must have closed the window too soon.

Actually you can go to Radio Shack or any sat dealer and get the hardware you need to self-install, Just do not mention "MOTOR" when you talk about it.

You should, however, visit the service provider's web page and download an RV declaration, fill it out following the instructions and mail or fax it in as instructed... This generally costs an extra five bucks a month but gets you network (ABC,NBC,CBS, etc) stations no matter where you are.  I get my network feeds from Chicago when I'm away from home.

Web pages Direc tv  Dish network

Or you can call them (Phone numbers on web pages) and they will E-mail you the RV form

I do not have direc, I have dish,  I will tell you I have never successfully pointed a TV dish  Never. I have tried and frankly do not know why I was not able to do the last one.  I can do my internet dish dang near with my eyes closed it's that easy (And it's the harder dish to point) but have never succeeded with the tv dishes.  Oh well.

I like Dish network's pointing tool better though  (This may be due to failure to read the Direc manual however)

There are a few things about Dish you need to know (Technicial stuff)

Single/double LNB  Most lnb's I see out ther eare doubles, this means they have two output ports,  There are a few singles though (one output port)  Some folks however use "Double LNB to mean "Double head"

Single/Double/Tripple head  This refers to the number of ANTENNAS on the dish, Most folks will say 1-2-3 LNB's but actually it is the antennas they are counting

Dish 300 and Direc (NON HD) use a single head, can be a single (If you have one receiver) or a double (if you don't ) but it is a single unit at the end of the arm.  To aim you need to have the proper asmuth and elevation (2 pramaters)

DISH 500 uses a "double header" marked 110 and 119 (Refering to where they point) and this dish has to be set 3 ways  Asumth, Elevation and SKEW (Twist) so you have to set 3 pramaters, note, the 3rd one (Skew) is usually pre-set at the start of setup.

Both Dish and Direc HDTV units are tripple headers,  They also require Asmuth, Elevation and Skew (Same setup as dish-500

Dish 500 receivers, however, can be used in 300 mode with just one satellite (I do it that way with my automatic roof mount)

Though Dish Pro receivers (mine is that too) do some "Stuff" that makes them really like a Dish Pro antenna (Dish 311 is not a dish pro receiver) so that, one receiver can use both antennas, and in fact if it's a dual receiver (mine is) either receiver can use either antenna even if the other one is already using it.  If you have a single receiver such as the dish 311, any dish will work, Direc or Dishnetwork, the LNB's themselves are the same (There is other stuff in a dish-500 dish that is special, called a DISQ switch)

I'm very happy with my Dish service on the road... Don't work here at home (too many trees) but happy on the road.. Though I do need to re-visit motosat and have them do some more work on my roof.  Tech issues, Still, now that I know how to kick start that automatic antenna I have it works great (Yes, I do mean kick start, sometimes it refuses to work and when that happens, good old American technology that it is, you go up on the roof and give it a good kick)

John In Detroit said:
I posted a longer reply (I thought) must have closed the window too soon.

John, sometimes you can recover your prior typing by clicking the Back button in your browser unless, of course, you really did close the browser window.

Closed the browser window, Closed the browser, Turned off the computer for the night, turned it back on, Logged onto another forum where I found I needed to check the computer maker's web page to find out if that stupid SONY battery recall affects my computer (It does) called IBMSERV to get a new battery Removed old battery.

Way beyond using the back button

Oh yes folks if you have a farily new ThinkPad, chece the Lenovo web site to find out if they need to send you a new battery

Logical url www.lenovo.com

Thanks John:  I'm going to talk to a sat dealer today and see what I can get. 
Woody

Hi All    Well I got my satellite system.  I went with Dish Network.  Got all the equipment and now i need to send in some paperwork so I can get the East/West feeds.  I found out that local feeds such as Seattle are spot beamed to the area, so they only work in Washington.  Well thanks again for the replies.
Woody

Well... I explained about the local stations...

Los Angles is one of the super stations so you can get shows from there instead of Seattle.

Good luck and enjoy

Back
Top Bottom