Satellite dish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mfg001

We just bought a mh that has a trav'ler dish. But it is set for Shaw Direct. Dish said to purchase a uc1000 converter to use for dish. Winegard
said the Shaw direct trav'ler can't be converted.
Any info is helpful!

You will need to know exactly which dish model you have. Shaw (a Canadian satellite system provider) is not compatible with Dish or Direct AFIK, but there may be a converter available but I am pretty sure it will take more than just the converter you named. (Dish shape and LNB's come to mind) Bell and Dish are compatible with the appropriate receiver and subscriptions.

Answered in another thread but will summerise here

With a "DISH" type antenna (Big tripod mount) I'd listen to DISH
With a Dome (roof top automatic antenna) I'd listen to Winegard

Not all antennas can be re-programmed from one to the other.

Mfg001 said:
We just bought a mh that has a trav'ler dish. But it is set for Shaw Direct. Dish said to purchase a uc1000 converter to use for dish. Winegard
said the Shaw direct trav'ler can't be converted.
Any info is helpful!

According to Winegard, the only Trav'ler conversions available are SK-SWM3(DTV) to SK-1000(Dish/Bell), SK-3005(DTV) to SK-1000(Dish/Bell), and SK-1000(Dish/Bell) to SK-3003(DTV). The Shaw SK-7003 is not convertible to any other service.

To add to Dutch's reply:

According to the Winegard site there are three separate Trav'ler models, one for DirecTV, one for Dish and Bell, and one for Shaw. I know that the one for DirecTV can have the dish replaced with one for Dish, but that didn't work in reverse when I got mine (related to the mounting base, I'm told). Looking at the specs the Shaw version is the heaviest, so it might be possible to change out the dish part, though I've found nothing to actually indicate that.

I found a PDF on Winegard's site that (in part) says:

Conversion kits are available for the TRAV?LER antenna. The conversion kits
  are compatible with converting the DIRECTV Slimline antenna (SK-3005),
  DIRECTV triple LNB (SK-3003), or DIRECTV SWM Slimline antenna
  (SK-SWM3) to the DISH TRAV?LER antenna (SK-1000).

It doesn't list any other conversion kits.

Another PDF from Winegard says (in part):

Q. What happens if I switch service providers with my TRAV?LER antenna?
  A. Depending on your previous and new service providers, it may be possible to convert your TRAV?LER antenna to be
  compatible with your new service provider. The following conversions are possible:
  SK-SWM3 to SK-1000, SK-3005 to SK-1000, and SK-1000 to SK-3003.

So that's DirecTV to Dish, DirecTV to Dish and Dish to DirecTV, respectively.

Another part reads:

Q. What satellite service providers and satellites work with each TRAV?LER antennas?
  A. TRAV?LER antenna is designed to work with specific providers. The TRAV?LER antennas work with DIRECTV, DISH, Bell
  Each TV, and Shaw Direct. The DIRECTV SWM TRAV?LER antenna is compatible with satellites 99?, 101?, and 103? for
  DIRECTV SD/HD programming. The DISH/Bell TV TRAV?LER antenna is compatible with satellites 110?, 119?, 129? for
  DISH Western Arc SD/HD programming and satellites 82? and 91? for Bell TV SD/HD programming. The Shaw Direct
  TRAV?LER antenna is compatible with satellites 107? and 111? for Shaw Direct SD/HD programming.

So compatibility is not only the dish itself, but also what the electronics will find and the LNBs will support.

Apparently this topic got moved while Dutch and I were composing our posts, so the replies initially went to another satellite topic -- confused me for a bit. So I'll delete my posting in other topic.

Call Satellite Advantage main 928-927-4422 cell 602-570-3474. The owner is Paul. He was very knowledgeable and helpful when I switched my Trav?ler from Direct to Dish.

Thanks for the info. I have to get a who,e new trav'ler system for dish. $2100 installed. Didn't plan on that!
Thanks to all. I'm new to this.

Mfg001 said:
Do y'all recommend going with Trav'ler at $2100 or G3 at $800? I have to replace my Trav'ler.

Which receiver do you want to use it with? The Carryout G3 only works with the Dish Wally or older VIP series receivers. It does not work with the current multi-tuner Hopper series receivers. The Trav'ler works with all Dish receiver models, including the newest Hopper 3 model.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom