Satellite roof mount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
3M makes essentially two families of "marine" sealants, both sticky as U-know-what:

• Silicone based.
  • Polyurethane based 4200/5200.

Tom, I didn't like the idea of only hitting one cross member in my roof with that large Satellite dome.  So, I had a metal shop make me a 3/16 thick aluminum plate to fit across a forward and rear cross member, and mounted the Dome to the plate.  The Plate in turn was screwed down to both cross members. 

The Dicor sealant is the best thing you can use to seal holes in your roof.  It doesn't go on smooth, and looks bad at first, but will self level out. 

You can try using a stud finder to locate the aluminum cross members, but don't put a lot of faith in it.  I used one and what it located was not the cross members.  Fortunately, my cross-members were steel, thus the magnet worked fine.  If you think you find a cross-member with a stud finder while on top of the roof, try to find the same on from inside the coach.  If you locate it in the same spot, it may indeed be the cross-member. 

Good luck to you.  It is scary drilling holes in a perfectly good roof. but the Dicor will seal it.

Rex
2001 Monaco Diplomat being pushed along by a Saturn

Tom:

I did not use silicone.? I used the 5200, which is super tough when it dries but VERY hard to work with.

Also, Newmar said the fiberglass alone was strong enough to hold the dish, but I did not mean my message to say that we did not go further than that.? We went well into the substructure for an increased factor of safety.? Sorry that did not come across to you.? The 5200 well hold that dish like a rock and never let any weather get through.? It could keep a ship from sinking.? But don't ever expect to get that plate back off your roof.? ?;D

You wondered why I did not need to take the dish down to go dump at QZ.  Now you know.  ;D

Thanks Rex. Good idea to try locating the same cross member on both sides of the coach.

Thanks for clarification Smoky. 5200 is good stuff.

You wondered why I did not need to take the dish down to go dump at QZ.

My concern about driving with the DW dish up, especially over unpaved roads, has to do with the weight of the long LNB arm (aka horn) and the fact that it's attached to a plastic dish. I have no doubt the roof mount won't come away from the coach, but I've seen a few dishes with damage in the lower area where the horn attaches.

Good point Tom, about the junction of the arm and the dish.  That is indeed a weak point.  Dang!  I guess next year at QZ I will be putting up and taking down the dish a few extra times.  ;D  Another good reason to get a motosat.

OH!  Did you say plastic dish??  I could swear mine is metal.  Still a weak point though, as the swivel hinge could stress, and/or, the dish could torque.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom