Satellite TV connections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shamrock49

Don't know if anyone can help us with our satellite problem. We are Canadians and recently purchased a 2004 Alfa SYG, which of course is manufactured in the USA. It came equiped with KingDome satellite dish, and 2 Dish network PVRs. Now we have satellite TV at home (Star Choice) and would like to connect it to our satellite dish. But we don't know the first thing about satellite systems. Any advice?

Here in the US there are basically two kinds of Sattalite tv networks

Dish uses one and Direc uses the other, Your King Dome was set up for Dish Network, Dish Network uses two different types of LNB (Low Noise Block Converters) Classic and "Dish Pro"  They are circular polorized.

Direc TV and most other sattalite providers use Linear polorized LNB's (either horzontal or vertical depending on the signals your receiver sends them)

Will a circular LNB work on a Linier sattalite?  Yes,  And the other way around too,  Will it work well, NO there is, at the minimum a 3db signal loss (1/2 power) and there is a posibility of confusion at the receiver as well, which makes things worse.  So, the odds are you are going to have to change one or two parts inside the dome

I should point out that with DISH there is a difference between DISH and DISH-Pro in how the LNB's convert  (Dish Pro "Stacks" two lnb's on one wire, other systems do not, they do this by frequency division, that is to say, if memory serves, clockwise polorization is converted to one block fo frequencies and anticlockwise (Nice british term) to another.  I may have it wrong, it may be one lnb goes one way and the other goes the other, either way, all the non-dish pro LNB convert to the same block and use other means to pick CW or CCW if circualr or V/H if linier

Thus, you may need to change LNB's.  A King Dome Dealer can explain this further

(This assumes your receivers are not DISH type receivers)

I should point out that with DISH there is a difference between DISH and DISH-Pro in how the LNB's convert  (Dish Pro "Stacks" two lnb's on one wire, other systems do not, they do this by frequency division, that is to say, if memory serves, clockwise polorization is converted to one block fo frequencies and anticlockwise (Nice british term) to another.  I may have it wrong, it may be one lnb goes one way and the other goes the other, either way, all the non-dish pro LNB convert to the same block and use other means to pick CW or CCW if circualr or V/H if linier

John:

Sometimes I get a headache trying to read your explanations. ;D

Shamrock49,

It doesn't matter whether it's circular, horizontal, vertical, or parsec space/time Fourier parallax division oriented. Star Choice uses two satellites in Canada, (well, they're not really in Canada; sort of above it) and you will require a dual LNB for those specific satellites; nothing more, nothing less. Call Kingdome and ask them what you need. Simple.

Jeff /Washington said:
John:

Sometimes I get a headache trying to read your explanations. ;D

Think of the headache I get RESEARCHING all this stuff.  Which I have been doing for the last few months as I work to set up a Free to Air receiver and get it working... Looking more and more like I have a bad LNB on the dish I'm trying to use.  Need an additional dish anyway

And for Karl, trust me, it makes a BIG difference, I've been working with poloration issues for a long, long time

I subscribe to Directv in Texas. I took one of my receivers with me on my way to montana for the summer. Last year I had a receiver and dish, which also was directv, but my daughter had it there. Can I still use the same dish- it hasn't been moved, and connect my receiver to it when I get there? Thanks for all your help, Ernie, driving a wanderlodge

Ernie Ekberg said:
Can I still use the same dish- it hasn't been moved, and connect my receiver to it when I get there? Thanks for all your help, Ernie, driving a wanderlodge

The answer is mixed... The dish should work, unless it has gone bad with age it should work

What may not work is the "Local Channels" service, depending on how far from home you are

John,

Seeing as you have seen fit to question several of my responses on-line, I feel I must respond likewise.

Firstly, having 'done research' is not the same as having had many years of hands-on, practical experience. I, and others, have that education/experience.

Secondly, (and perhaps most importantly), we strive to give complete and accurate answers to our Forum members and guests; as much as possible. Yours are, at best accurate, but more often misleading or totally wrong.

Thirdly, while some of your your responses to questions may be accurate and valuable, they are presented in a way which defies understanding by most; if not all.

Fourthly, if you spent so much time on antenna (LNB etc, ) wave orientation as you claim, you would know it's called POLARIZATION; not POLARATION!

Addendum: Use a SPILL CHUCKER! 

I thought most domes provided by the manufacturer could handle either Dish or DirecTV??

I have the KVH L2 and I know it came with instructions for running it with either DirecTV (which is what we use) or Dish.  No part changes are required for it to run with Dish.  Just plug in the receiver and go.  It does have some slightly different procedures for handling the dual sats on Dish, but that is operator procedures, not part changes.

Dunno about King Dome, but I am guessing they would be the same or they would not be very competitive.

Karl said:
John,

Firstly, having 'done research' is not the same as having had many years of hands-on, practical experience. I, and others, have that education/experience.

No argument ther Karl, I only have about 40 years expierence in radio and communications technology

And POLARIZATION does make a difference, It is possible to put two signals on the same frequency and not have them interfere with each other,, How do you do that? POLARIZATION,  You either run one vertical and the other horzontal, or one clockwise and the other counterclockwise (anticlockwise for those who really do speak English)

Now, the wrong type of LNB (Circular or linier) will work, yes, I've done it that way, However it's not as good as the right type.. How much difference does it make.

Same dome, same dish, same receiver, I can pick up a good signal here in DETROIT with the proper LNB but could not get a reliable lock till I was south of Indy with the wrong kind of LNB  That is a big difference.

Now for the good news.. LNBs run 50-60 bucks and are easy to swap out

Back
Top Bottom